Why am I having a hard time with Mav Fs?

Hammer1-1

Trying to fly a combat mission where I am using these missiles against ground targets. I understand the way to use them is to depress the TDC and then you can slew the seeker around. For the life of me, I cannot get this cursor to slew around at all. What am I doing wrong? Im not trying to slew the sensor caged, and caged or not I cant get the sensor to move at all.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

My first thought is have you moved your SCS so that the MAV page is your sensor of interest?

Second thought is have you given the seeker head cool down time - normally around 3 minutes.

Finally, check the bindings on on your TDC - it may not be set correctly.

Hope this helps.

Screen is SOI

Master Arm On

Seeker cooled and 3 minute warmup time done

MAVF selected

MAV uncaged

TDC depressed, and everything is set correctly in key bindings

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

Heres a trackfile...

MAVF trouble.trk

552206619_Annotation2020-02-27203548.thumb.jpg.96bca84f7e675b2651a4880113bf1861.jpg

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

If anyone is wondering, I tried slewing the sensor around while both depressing the TDC down and not depressing the TDC down, caged/uncaged.

My wallpaper and skins

I don't know what happened with your first attempt. After you uncaged the seeker, I took control and was able to slew it around just fine.

After your difficulty, you (accidentally?) selected an A2A Missile. That took you out of A2G mode, set TDC to RADAR, and selected the desired missile. You managed to go back to A2G, and brought up the MAV DSPLY. You realized TDC was moving the RADAR cursor, then did something to move TDC, but you never assigned TDC to MAVF display for the rest of the track.

I got 3 vehicle kills in a single pass using your track.

Edited by randomTOTEN

huh? I had it in A2G mode the whole time...I only recorded 1 missile shot.

Ok yeah I did all that..I switched to A2A mode to try to reset the cursor and see if I can get something changed. Ill create another track.

Look below, rename the track or delete the first one. I just overwrote the original.

MAVF trouble.trk

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

You are selecting the Mav screen as your sensor of interest first as mentioned? Is it isn’t selected (diamond in the upper right of the screen) then it won’t slew or fire

The first time I had it SOI I tried slewing the sensor around...still didnt work.

My wallpaper and skins

Heres a funny thing: I took off realistic TDC control in the special options and I was able to slew the cursor around like normal. With it in realistic, Im not moving that cursor at all. If anyone asks, yes the first time I was holding down the TDC cursor while trying to slew the sensor. No bueno.

MAVF not so much trouble.trk

My wallpaper and skins

Took control, TDC slews around just fine.

Set it back to Realistic TDC

Hold the ENTER key on your keyboard instead of your joystick binding for TDC depress. Then try slewing the seeker. Perhaps Virpil has the same hardware restrictions as Thrustmaster...

Ill give that a shot now and report back in this post...

and yeah that works. So I guess this means my TDC depress shouldnt be on the same HAT switch as the TDC slew cursors..better yet, think Ill just keep it unrealistic. I have the slew upgrade for the warthog, but its officially retired now.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

It almost sounds exactly like the slew control problem that users of the TM Warthog have with the stock slew controller, where depressing it doesn't allow the slew to function (hardware limitation IIRC).

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

It most likely is. Its a 4 way 5 button hat switch that lies on the right throttle forefinger; its not an axis slew in and of itself. The T50CM has a slew device on this throttle, and unfortunately I bought this one a week before THAT model came to market. Had I known that, I would have waited....

My wallpaper and skins

Not a problem. I have the same throttle as you do.

Just turn off "Realistic TDC" in the options. :)

Did that already...thanks though.

My wallpaper and skins

..nothing actually to do with MAV F's then, misleading title, should be 'problems mapping slew with <insert hardware>' and probably in the Controller Profiles and Problems section

...no? I dont have this issue with any other aircraft and any other weapon. Nothing wrong with the mapping either. But thanks for your helpful input.

My wallpaper and skins