Trim won't work if "USB network joystick" controller is plugged out during flight!

Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

Still a very annoying bug, trim wheels are moving in cockpit, but trim not working.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Still a very annoying bug, trim wheels are moving in cockpit, but trim not working.

Why didn’t you unplug the unused generic driver gamepad?

No offense Daniel but this is all on you because you forget to unplug something. ED is NOT going to be able to help you.

• 2 weeks later...

ok thanks, but it's not open-source...

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

But that says "ViGEm / HidGuardian" and the github-commits are by "nefarius", and NOT "WhiteKnight Auto-Whitelister for HidCerberus" by "evilC"... So it seems to be something else? -.-

Edited by DanielNL

Also, I just had a chat with the developer of WhiteKnight, he warned me to not use WK as it can seriously break your windows installation with the tinyest user-mistake.

for those TLDR: ED, please fix this once and for all very soon!

updated trackfile attached below.

SpitfireRudderTrimNotWorking.trk

You have already been told they ate not going to fix something that they cannot fix. This is 10000% an issue with the gamepad developer. There is nothing for ED to fix.

You need to make yourself a checklist before you start DCS to ensure every is plugged in and any hW that is not need is unplugged.

If I fly sp in A10 i have to do the following

Start Track IR

Start joytokey

Start dynamic campaign

Start icontrol server

Start icontrol client on ipda

Unplug game pad

Unplug wheel and pedals

Plug in WH throttle and joystick

Plug in pedals

Start CH pedal software

And only then can i start DCS

If i forget to do any of the above, it will mess up the game and I’ll have to restart

Edited by Dagger71

You have already been told they ate not going to fix something that they cannot fix.

By you, yes, NOT by ED. Are you a software programmer? No. See, ED can fix it until we get their master-programmer to state here that they "can't fix it". It's SO easy, all they have to do is a "is a Gamepad plugged in?"-check, and "IF yes, THEN ignore all gamepad input". EZ as 123...

By you, yes, NOT by ED. Are you a software programmer? No. See, ED can fix it until we get their master-programmer to state here that they "can't fix it". It's SO easy, all they have to do is a "is a Gamepad plugged in?"-check, and "IF yes, THEN ignore all gamepad input". EZ as 123...

Why would they automatically disregard gamepads? Btw, you seem to lack understanding on the basic backend of game controllers.

Whether it looks like a stick, a throttle, a gamepad, a rudder pedal, or a control panel... THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. It's a DirectX compatible, generic USB gaming device. Even my $500 VKB Gunfighter Pro, the fancy software they provide emulates buttons and axises and all kinds of fancy stuff, but on the backend, the part Windows and games actually interact with, it's ALL THE SAME. There is NO difference between one of those fancy (Foxtrot?) usb A-10 UFCs and a usb CH Fighterstick. Exactly the same.

Unless they create a database of every controller in existence, they usually can't even be told apart. In many games, it doesn't even identify a specific controller, it just detects a button press or axis input you can assign.

That said, my system consisted at one time of something like a dozen USB systems for my simpit, making all that work smoothly is my problem... but a part of that process was unplugging anything that wasn't necessary. That or leave it plugged in and make sure all the axises are wiped so it doesn't give errant commands... but preferably disconnect. If a specific device is causing hangs/crashes/not playing nice with the other devices, you unplug. Preferably followed by a trashcan, as mentioned considering the generic level game controllers function on, there is literally no excuse for a device to malfunction in that way.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Why would they automatically disregard gamepads?

Because (most likely) nobody in DCS flies with a gamepad, as it wouldn't make any sense on earth to fly in DCS with a GAMEPAD (instead of a joystick)

Unless they create a database of every controller in existence, they usually can't even be told apart.

That's the good part, DCS already detects my Speedlink Thunderstrike gamepad as a "USB network joystick" instead of detecting it (for example) as "Thrustmaster T.16000 Joystick", so ED already implemented gamepad-detection!!

Because (most likely) nobody in DCS flies with a gamepad, as it wouldn't make any sense on earth to fly in DCS with a GAMEPAD (instead of a joystick)

That's the good part, DCS already detects my Speedlink Thunderstrike gamepad as a "USB network joystick" instead of detecting it (for example) as "Thrustmaster T.16000 Joystick", so ED already implemented gamepad-detection!!

You cannot ask ED to ignore all gamepads because YOU forgot to unplug yours. That's insanity!!!

Also ED didn't detect anything. Windows detects USB peripherals. Your gamepad is of lower quality that uses generic drivers. There is nothing ED can do. just unplug it.

Remember what I said, everytime you start DCS with unrecognized device you run the risk of corrupting your config files.

Unplug your controller or deactivate the usb device in the device manager. I have to unplug or deactivate every controller for any game that runs on unity engine just to be able to play the damn game with the gamepad. If it's to much trouble to unplug that thing everytime, invest in a proper controller with a driver.

There are enough people using dcs with a gamepad in some way.

Edited by erniedaoage

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

Unplug your controller or deactivate the usb device in the device manager. I have to unplug or deactivate every controller for any game that runs on unity engine just to be able to play the damn game with the gamepad. If it's to much trouble to unplug that thing everytime, invest in a proper controller with a driver.

There are enough people using dcs with a gamepad in some way.

He refuses to unplug his unrecognized controller which is using a generic driver because the manufacturer do not provide one.

One day, he will be posting a bug report about how is entire config library is corrupt.

Why do you worry about some "config library" on my PC? xD

Cause it happens all the time. It usually happens during an update and you’ve got The wrong controller plugged in , it can mess up a ton of bindings.

You are better off unplugging all non DCS controllers before starting it. What do you do when you run unity engine games? They will notoriously cause problems with the wrong controller plugged in.

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2020 at 4:48 PM, DanielNL said:

Maybe not even before the game is started, but definitely before a player joins a slot to spawn.

@NineLinedid you even read this reply from me to your last post in this thread?

Unplugging the controller while flying in the air won't make the joystick trim work! Players will have to despawn from in-flight and then respawn to fix it, so a frustrating thing in multiplayer-servers with aircraft-lives systems.

dcs.log in this post: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/233798-trim-wont-work-if-usb-network-joystick-controller-is-plugged-in/?tab=comments#comment-234539

Edited by DanielNL

• ED Team
  • Solution

The solution was to unplug it before you start. I have a small hub on my desktop, it has power switches, I simple can switch something off if I don't want it to conflict, I have this issue in other games where I don't want my HOTAS interfering. This is not a DCS issue.

• Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

On 1/1/2021 at 10:52 PM, NineLine said:

The solution was to unplug it before you start.

Before I start flying a helicopter or YaK-52 or TF-51, yes. No issue at all in any other DCS aircraft.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:52 PM, NineLine said:

I have this issue in other games where I don't want my HOTAS interfering. This is not a DCS issue.

Interesting, I don't have it in any other game, that's why imo it is a DCS issue.

10 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

Interesting, I don't have it in any other game, that's why imo it is a DCS issue.

You should never plug or unplug a USB controller regardless of the game engine while the game is loaded and running. Always do it prior to loading  while in an options menu. 

Hotplugging USB controllers is not really supported by any sim/game that I know of.   Even if some do allow it  without causing issues, you just should not do it.

Edited by Dagger71

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2021 at 3:45 AM, Dagger71 said:

You should never plug or unplug a USB controller [...] while the game is loaded and running.
Hotplugging USB controllers is not really supported by any sim/game that I know of.

DCS supports it...

Still very frustrating... 😖 Would highly appreciate a fix.

12 hours ago, D4n said:

DCS supports it...

Still very frustrating... 😖 Would highly appreciate a fix.

No they do not. Not even the manufacturer of the controller supports it since they only provided a generic usb  driver!!

Edited by Dagger71

17 hours ago, Dagger71 said:

No they do not.

You are aware that when unplugging any USB-controller device while in a DCS-mission makes the controller-name and an ID appear in the top right (with the "disconnect"-message), or didn't you know?? That indication clearly is a sign that DCS supports hotplugging...