New windows 10 update improve performance

This one says yes

But as always ... updating too early is always risky.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Windows 10 is the absolute worst O.S I used since I started to build my own PCs and that's Pentium 2 times...

To be clear, I make sure Windows Updates is disabled and turn OFF or simply uninstall every single app I don't need, that's the only way to make sure you keep performances up.

Memory management, broadband width etc, are all with Windows 10, you need either tons of ram to run it while gaming or tweak it and fine-tune it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=274966

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Windows 10 is the absolute worst O.S I used since I started to build my own PCs and that's Pentium 2 times...

To be clear, I make sure Windows Updates is disabled and turn OFF or simply uninstall every single app I don't need, that's the only way to make sure you keep performances up.

Memory management, broadband width etc, are all with Windows 10, you need either tons of ram to run it while gaming or tweak it and fine-tune it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=274966

yes and no, sadly more yes the longer you live with it.

The Devil is in the detail and 10 has lots of that rubbish.

2004 broke a fewthings on my end, RLT Sound, Sleep Mode and a few things but most important, the ancient old and well known Intel IRST freeze bug now hits me with full strength.

Before 2004 I just reverted to 16.2 IRST driver for the past 18month or so but with 2004 this driver causes BSOD due to instability and I have no way to fix it but either buy Ryzen, buy new Z370/390 Mobo or install Linux for daily use. This is FFS and I tend to like the idea of an Ryzen 3900XT more than anything else. I cant blame MS for Intel's shortcomings but pushing out new Builds again and again makes fixing almost useless as the underlying platform chances faster than you can program, throw in Intel's BS and you kinda love the idea of Ryzen and Linux for daily use.

Im so done with Windows 10 as a "Professional" OS, GO HOME REDMOND !!!!!!!

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I just updated to 2004 just for a laugh, and what a laugh it's been! I can't put my monitor into Standby mode with my HOTAS plugged in. It just wakes a second later. Unplugging the HOTAS 'fixes' it. What a pain in the arse.

Apparently this bug has been around for ages. Hooted if Microsoft ever gets around to resolving it. I never had it until version 2004, but lots of people had it before that.

I haven't tried DCS with Windows 10 2004, yet. I just installed it. It's supposed to give "better performance" but I doubt it, the performance you get in gaming seems to be inherent in your hardware config and the OS has nothing to do with it.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I just updated to 2004 just for a laugh, and what a laugh it's been! I can't put my monitor into Standby mode with my HOTAS plugged in. It just wakes a second later. Unplugging the HOTAS 'fixes' it. What a pain in the arse.

Apparently this bug has been around for ages. Hooted if Microsoft ever gets around to resolving it. I never had it until version 2004, but lots of people had it before that.

I haven't tried DCS with Windows 10 2004, yet. I just installed it. It's supposed to give "better performance" but I doubt it, the performance you get in gaming seems to be inherent in your hardware config and the OS has nothing to do with it.

AD

In my case, it only does that if you also have Gforce Experience installed. It is MS & Nvidia not doing their job right.

and yahh, some other serious bugs and apparently I have some weird BSOD back, plus that IRST bug freeze... I am so done with MS Win10 and Intel, I cannot describe with words :furious::gun_sniper:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

and yahh, some other serious bugs and apparently I have some weird BSOD back, plus that IRST bug freeze... I am so done with MS Win10 and Intel, I cannot describe with words :furious::gun_sniper:

IRST as in Intel Rapid Storage Tech? Why would you install this anyway? Because of RAID? RAID will work without that extra Intel driver layer (that I've only had issues with) so perhaps try removing those?

Admittedly, I've had some weird BSOD on one of my Win 10 installs when the external screen goes on standby and then wakes, but I haven't had that since I've ran sfc scan and repair. The Win 10 install I use for games maybe experienced the same issue a few times, but is in general pretty much stable with no issues. Maybe not rock-solid as Windows 7 were in my experience, but not bad in any case. But, mind you, I've held on to Windows 7 for a year or two as the initial Win 10 release had some issues on various laptops I've tried upgrading (mainly related to drivers for some laptop specific hardware on them).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

IME it 'feels' like the 2004 upgrade was worth a few FPS. No numbers to back it up. My buddy had the same experience. Placebo or 'butt dyno' experience perhaps but definitely not a performance hurting thing so worth doing IMO.

I have a VM for DCS server and using the VM at the GUI level seems more 'snappy'. Likewise the VM I have for vehicle service manuals.

The upgrade was worth doing IMO.

In my case, it only does that if you also have Gforce Experience installed. It is MS & Nvidia not doing their job right.

I don't have GeForce Experience installed, only the driver & NVCP. Still won't standby unless I unplug HOTAS. Unplugging HOTAS is PAININASS.

Other than that, my system seems to run fine.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

IME it 'feels' like the 2004 upgrade was worth a few FPS. No numbers to back it up. My buddy had the same experience. Placebo or 'butt dyno' experience perhaps but definitely not a performance hurting thing so worth doing IMO.

I have a VM for DCS server and using the VM at the GUI level seems more 'snappy'. Likewise the VM I have for vehicle service manuals.

The upgrade was worth doing IMO.

I gotta agree with you that DCS seems to perform well in 2004. Shame that the newest updates to DCS itself knackered up the gamma/lighting/usual crap, but I'm sure they'll get it ironed out eventually.

Sucks about having to unplug my HOTAS just to allow the monitor to stand by, though. Really, REALLY sucks, since lots of other people are having the same problem and there's no straightforward solution.

Kudos for using the phrase "Butt Dyno" on an Internet discussion forum, I haven't heard that one in quite a while :)

AD

Kit:

IRST as in Intel Rapid Storage Tech? Why would you install this anyway? Because of RAID? RAID will work without that extra Intel driver layer (that I've only had issues with) so perhaps try removing those?

Admittedly, I've had some weird BSOD on one of my Win 10 installs when the external screen goes on standby and then wakes, but I haven't had that since I've ran sfc scan and repair. The Win 10 install I use for games maybe experienced the same issue a few times, but is in general pretty much stable with no issues. Maybe not rock-solid as Windows 7 were in my experience, but not bad in any case. But, mind you, I've held on to Windows 7 for a year or two as the initial Win 10 release had some issues on various laptops I've tried upgrading (mainly related to drivers for some laptop specific hardware on them).

I wish I could but 2004 installs a recent Intel driver as default driver, one that is newer than ver 16.2.

I may reinstall the whole machine, which is quite a pain with all my VPN's and Software... Win10 alone is a 15min thing, the rest is rather days than hours :(

I really have to check the piggy bank for a 3900XT system, I am getting tired of fixing this over and over, knowing it will never hold true.

Aluminium Donkey.. yeah...could be I suffer the same, as I said earlier, my Energy Saving is messed up too, gonna try unplug the throttle etc... how I hate this. In 8 years Mac it NEVER even failed ONCE with sleepmode, close lid, open lid..flawless over many many years and multiple MacOS/OS-X iterations...yes, it can be done.

Aluminium Donkey.. yeah...could be I suffer the same, as I said earlier, my Energy Saving is messed up too, gonna try unplug the throttle etc... how I hate this. In 8 years Mac it NEVER even failed ONCE with sleepmode, close lid, open lid..flawless over many many years and multiple MacOS/OS-X iterations...yes, it can be done.

Hmm, still not sure what your problem is with this driver? I doubt Windows 10 install IRST driver by default, maybe they upgraded it to a newer (like, 2004-compatible) version if you had it already installed? Still, it should be possible to remove it altogether from the add/remove programs page.

Regarding MacOS, it's not really a fair comparison IMHO as they only have to support a few hardware configurations they make themselves and can thus easily validate all the drivers they use/release while Windows in general need to support innumerable combinations of different hardware and driver versions.

I had zero problems with Windows 7 on like 5 laptops used at home (and never had to reinstall any) and now that they've been upgraded to Windows 10, besides this issue I mentioned on one of two installs on my main laptop, the other laptops have had no issues and some are pretty old already (like, Ivy Bridge CPUs). Though, I stopped installing IRST since Windows ME times when the version I installed had some buggy SATA driver which was super slow compared to the default Microsoft one.

Weirdly, unlike Rapid Storage, I had good experience with Rapid Start on a few older laptops which came with it by default is some sort of hibernate which gives impression to wake as fast as sleep (it shows the explorer and gives you control as soon as possible while loading the rest int he background) and I didn't have driver issues afterwards.

But, otherwise, yes, sleep (and worse yet, hibernate) can cause some drivers (like e.g. sound or wifi) to stop working, so that's a risk, but since UEFI BIOS was introduced, Windows boot up rather quickly so it's not a major issue.

Also, I always try to keep the number of driver installs over the default Windows ones to a minimum as this seems to reduce potential driver issues. I only install the GPU driver and some special ones like e.g. the sound card which come with extra software which is useful. Intel drivers in general seem to be rather unpredictable from my admittedly limited experience with their IRST, WiFi and GPU drivers on various laptops over the years.

You could try the Windows 10 system reset where it will remove all the drivers IIRC, but you can choose the option to keep your documents. It will remove most of the apps if not all, though.

I've used it once on one of the old laptops which had some issue after a direct upgrade from Windows 7 where its Sony software has somehow limited the battery recharge to 80% and this setting has clashed with some default Windows 10 battery driver making it show like the battery is dead and can't be recharged. I did a system reset and it solved the issue (by removing the offending setting from the registry or however it was set), but it did remove a bunch of apps so it's not an ideal solution for your problem.

Sorry, the post ended up being a huge rant with little useful information. Good luck.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

FYI, disconnected all USB but Mouse & Keyboard and SleepMode works again.

The driver I collide with is under "Storage Controllers" ( hope that's what it says in EN versions ),

"Intel® Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"

I have the feeling it can't properly manage my 2 Seagate 2TB drives as the freeze happens while they ( or one of them ) needs to spin up when Explorer or any other task sweeps the system for whatever reason. I have tried to deinstall it, actually ALL Intel IRST has been deinstalled, but that driver is still there, reverting it to any status still says "Intel" and later than 16.2, which was the last one that did not have that freeze bug for some HW combinations.

I might reinstall that beast next few weeks, will see how it turns out over time.

Since I suffer from BSOD too for a week or two now I reverted all OC to defaults and need to check if they still occur.

I am thinking about degrading this machine to my Living Room machine with Linux and getting a 3900XT with a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra or Master x570 board if I cannot solve the issues.

My System says it can't update my Windows 10. Lol Ik have a New System. I don't get it, what's going on here?

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

My System says it can't update my Windows 10. Lol Ik have a New System. I don't get it, what's going on here?

If you check for updates in settings, you become "a seeker" in Microsoft eyes.

This time with 2004 update all the seekers do not receive the updates early, but will be pushed later to the line of delivery.

So to get it, it is better not to seek it.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

thank you guys. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Made the update earlier manually using the link above.

Nvidia-driver was changed back to DCH and most of my settings were reset; had to do a reinstall of the current Gefore-driver to get be to WHQL.

Also when starting DCS I had to log in again manually.

1) Install hacks which "increase gaming performance" you found on internet even though you have no clue what they do.

2) Update to latest version of Windows.

3) Go cry on forums that upgrade broken your PC

5) PROFIT