Jester bandit clock callouts

Kula66

Can someone please explain jester's bandit calls when in a df? I just can't understand his plane of reference ... In the attached. I'm in a hard left hand bank and he calls out 5 o'clock! I could understand 9 o'clock if you laid the clock flat or 12 o'clock high, as in through the top of the canopy, buy 5!! Does this make sense to anyone or is it just broken? This isn't a recent thing, he'snever made sense to me when manauvering.

Thanks.

Screen_200623_181603.thumb.png.75b7b366f5255d1c2a0f0ecdad985a07.png

The clock should be attached to plane. So 9'clock is always your left side. Low is always somehow below your waterline and high somewhere above your waterline.

So nothing compared to horizon or anything else that moves, requires your visual seeing, comparing your attitude to something else first....

This so that you can follow enemy position even when you are blind.

And calls should come immediately when target is there.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I also thought he's calls are off before i experimented with VR. Although a bit late at times (but that bit can be an eternity in a dogfight) he is actually spot on most of the times. It's just that the usual face tracking mechanics don't translate quite as well as the 1 to 1 tracking of RL and VR.

P.S. he does in fact use high and low to augment the clock calls

EDIT: what i think might help more, is if he'd use more follow ups. Like, he's saying "he's 12-o clock high going left". He uses them now too, just more might be better.

Edited by captain_dalan

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

HB, it would be great to have a little less delay in Jester callouts ... I'm sure its on your list somewhere :)

I do miss Jester when I fly in other planes, even though most of the time I either just ignore him, have to baby him via the menu or when in AAR disable him completely - that I just can't tolerate!

So here's the thing: the callouts are always from the position of your plane. However, speech takes time, recognition takes time and so on. So if you are in a turnfight where you roll less or keep a more stable position in relation ot the bandit, they will likely be spot on. However, if you make "10 rolls per second", he just won't be able to keep up. Keeping that in mind though, after a while it is still easy to extrapolate from his calls where the bandit was and thus will be. Unfortunately there is no easy way around this. Already he is prioritizing calls, ommitting calls, and trying to keep up as much as he can, but this is also where we run into limitations of the AI. He just will never have the capability of a human to "know your intentions" and thus "think ahead". Which a human would do. A human RIO will know you want to roll, and thus wait with the 9 oclock call till it is 3 oclock and will make more sense for the pilot. Jester cannot do that, and thus if his call is queued and you then make a turn/roll/maneuver that changes the exposition of his call, the call will be wrong and appear delayed.

It is not that we did not notice or it is not on our mind. It is. But at the moment I cannot say that we can promise a fix for this. What I can promise is though that if we will find something to make this better, we will of course implement it.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/