Wing sweep axis assignment

todd022

Hey HB, I have this slider handle (on my warthog HOTAS) that's not used. Would love it if you guys could assign the wing sweep handle to an axis assignment in DCS. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry, never use the manual sweep lever that is so well hidden. So for that an axis should be available of course.

Why? It ain't a axis or leveler. It is just a electronic hat that you use to command sweep backward or forward.

BLUR-23.jpeg

With axis you would have unreal function, where slight movement of axis means you want to adjust sweep manually, and not just little relative from current position but to very specific absolute position.

No axis = no axis.

Axis = axis + buttons.

Like example MiG-23 has lever that pilot can move to wanted sweep positions, with slight notches to quickly find three sweep angle positions (but can freely set lever to anywhere). So that system has axis and button bindings like:

Sweep Forward

Sweep Backward

16 degree

45 degree

72 degree

Linear axis binding between 16 and 72 degrees.

But F-14 has no such as it is just a hat, with index instrument for telling what angle is set by the system and what pilot wants to command.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Pretty sure the request is for the wing sweep lever to the right of the throttle to have an axis.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

@Fri13 Little yellow thing under the protector.

I bought a logitech throttle quadrant just for this purpose before I realised that this didnt exist. All is not lost however, I can still use it for the flaps I guess. I believe heatblur is aware of this request and they are trying to do something about a "spider detent" in the lever on the real 14. I have no idea what it is or what it does but heatblur has stated they wont be adding this until they can find a way to make it realistic.

That being said, I do have faith. Jester has started coming through my headset after all! Patience will pay off.

@Fri13 Little yellow thing under the protector. [/Quote]

Please read, I corrected myself about that emergency lever.

But again challenge is that it has three functions in axis.

1) raise safeguard (transparent plastic shield)

2) pull-up to unlock it and activate emergency adjustment.

3) axis lever to adjust sweep.

4) Parking position to be used on deck to lock wings to aft at minimal sweep.

5) Reset button to activate automatic mode, after emergency lever is returned to locked position and shield is locked back down.

So what happens when you have axis anywhere else than in forward position?

How do you unlock the emergency lever, just by axis range at end?

Does axis operate if shield is not up?

Well done would be that:

1) you need to first open the shield before axis is reacted at all.

2) You must move the axis to forward position to get it shield open by other means.

3) And axis start like 5-10% is lock zone that parks lever to lock position (down) and requires to be moved out of it to get lever unlocked and only then it starts to be moving to adjust sweep angle.

4) To get the shield back down, you must first move axis to locked zone.

5) to get wings to parked mode, you need to have axis full aft and then by other means activate extra sweep.

So while bindable to axis, it needs more work to make the logic it's use a proper one.

My down vote was only about axis to normal manual mode sweep setting, as OP doesn't define which one is meant.

+1

It would be nice to manipulate the sweep handle while still keeping eyes on the yellow shirts and other deck obstacles.

I thought the procedure was that you don't use anymore emergency lever once you are in cockpit, as ground crew takes aircraft out of store and sets swing sweep to flight condition (so ailerons can operate) and so on you have emergency sweep leveler already set to safe. And when moving on deck, you have manually set the sweep to full aft, and before take-off you open wings for checking flaps and all.

+1

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

I'm pretty sure I have that axis... but I do lack keyboard/HOTAS assignments for pulling the lever and lifting the cover. So I presume that's a custom line in the lua files I have found here, but the devs didn't take it over yet.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

All great responses...thank you.

I do have my china hat (warthog throttle) set to control wing sweep in normal flying conditions, but I'm speaking about the manual wing sweep lever under the clear housing. With my standard modifier key/joystick button, I could still manipulate the housing cover, lift/press, etc but need that axis assignment for swing the lever efficiently. Obviously, not a deal breaker, but would love to have the option. Again, for watching deck crew instructions, while taxiing and putting into oversweep, etc.

@Eldur, I've looked with each update and had the cat since day 1, but have never seen an axis assignment available. Didn't think about modding the .lua (very interesting....)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Problem is, that lever moves when you aren't using it. You'll end up with a position miss match that may cause "issues" I'm not sure if DCS is sophisticated enough to ignore the Axis unless the lever is lifted and you're disengaged from the spider detent.

Please read, I corrected myself about that emergency lever.

But again challenge is that it has three functions in axis.

1) raise safeguard (transparent plastic shield)

2) pull-up to unlock it and activate emergency adjustment.

3) axis lever to adjust sweep.

4) Parking position to be used on deck to lock wings to aft at minimal sweep.

5) Reset button to activate automatic mode, after emergency lever is returned to locked position and shield is locked back down.

So what happens when you have axis anywhere else than in forward position?

How do you unlock the emergency lever, just by axis range at end?

Does axis operate if shield is not up?

Well done would be that:

1) you need to first open the shield before axis is reacted at all.

2) You must move the axis to forward position to get it shield open by other means.

3) And axis start like 5-10% is lock zone that parks lever to lock position (down) and requires to be moved out of it to get lever unlocked and only then it starts to be moving to adjust sweep angle.

4) To get the shield back down, you must first move axis to locked zone.

5) to get wings to parked mode, you need to have axis full aft and then by other means activate extra sweep.

So while bindable to axis, it needs more work to make the logic it's use a proper one.

My down vote was only about axis to normal manual mode sweep setting, as OP doesn't define which one is meant.

The plastic guard is already a bindable button. Just make the pull tab a button/toggle as well.

There are multiple reasons to be able to do this- It would be great in VR for carrier operations. And it was an "off the book" tactic to sweep the wings forward before merges, or at high altitude where the air is lighter.

The plastic guard is already a bindable button. Just make the pull tab a button/toggle as well.

There are multiple reasons to be able to do this- It would be great in VR for carrier operations. And it was an "off the book" tactic to sweep the wings forward before merges, or at high altitude where the air is lighter.

I am curious about your source for sweeping wings forward for a merge? I have only read or heard the opposite as there is no danger of damaging anything mechanical trying to overriding the wing sweep schedule in that manner.

Salute,

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

. And it was an "off the book" tactic to sweep the wings forward before merges, or at high altitude where the air is lighter.

And why don't you do that with the primary (non-emergency) means, using throttle hat to manually set the wing sweep to as wanted? You do so when on the deck, taxiing to ramp etc.

And didn't the wings sweep automatically forward for take-off when you had connection to bus WOW? And when you lowered the hook?

You shouldn't need and anyways use that lever for anything else than park the aircraft to tight places (ground crew does so) and when automatic sweep positioning doesn't work and you need to do so manually.....

It isn't operational method to use it for anything else.

And it is anyways slower than the primary hat method, and you can't have automatic mode or primary controls before you reset the backup sweep lever back to locked position, lock the guard and reset the system.

So it truly is only for emergency situations.

Edit: Need to as well mention that the automatic system worked better than any human interpretation that what sweep angle was best for given situation. Regardless the altitude or speed or G's etc. It was engineered to give best possible flight characters for any situation.

Edited by Fri13

And why don't you do that with the primary (non-emergency) means, using throttle hat to manually set the wing sweep to as wanted? You do so when on the deck, taxiing to ramp etc.

You can't sweep the wings forward of the CADC computed minimum safe value in manual wing sweep mode

And didn't the wings sweep automatically forward for take-off when you had connection to bus WOW? And when you lowered the hook?

No

You shouldn't need and anyways use that lever for anything else than park the aircraft to tight places (ground crew does so) and when automatic sweep positioning doesn't work and you need to do so manually.....

I also don't see much of a point to use the emergency lever unless normal wing sweep fails (which almost never happens in DCS even with battle damage). The only situation where undesweeping below the CADC schedule might be useful is in very high altitude engagements where IAS is low and Mach is high and you need some extra lift. But then again, you get a lot of drag so in the end it might not be a good idea.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD