Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

idk if i'm the only one who has this issue, but after a fresh update to 2.8.7.42583 and mod installation i can't play anymore. i get an error upon starting the game and i don't get past the splash screen. i think it happens with more files, not just the one in the attached image.

image.png

Edited by SWPixivyle
Minor stuff

1 hour ago, SWPixivyle said:

idk if i'm the only one who has this issue, but after a fresh update to 2.8.7.42583 and mod installation i can't play anymore. i get an error upon starting the game and i don't get past the splash screen. i think it happens with more files, not just the one in the attached image.

image.png

That is strange, it works fine for me.

23 minutes ago, jingwe said:

Same here - launches OK if I disable the mod.

Are you getting the same error as above?

same error for me also... had to disable the mod for DCS to launch properly....

AMD Ryzen 5 2600, MSI B450 Pro VDH, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz, Kingston A400 240GB SSD (Boot Drive), Crucial 1TB M.2 SSD (DCS World), Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD, 34" Acer Display + 24" Samsung Display, Virpil Alpha R+Warbrd Base, Virpil Rotor TCS+Alpha L, Virpil CP2+SharKa Panels, Virpil Mongoose CM3 HOTAS, Virpil Ace Interceptor Rudders, Logitech G27 Wheel.

UPDATED TO V21 for DCS 2.8  7/24/2023

• Adjusted new water explosion

Also, it looks like ED implemented ship trails from this mod.

I tried to bring back some shape of the water splash.  Default almost glows at some angles.

BetterSmoke_v21_01.jpg

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 9

4 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Default gunSmoke.fx hasn't been changed for a long time.  And I'm not having any issue with it on MT.  Try repair.

I've been doing repairs.

Here is the 7-zip SHA-256 checksum from the most recent OpenBeta (after repair) versus the one included in your v21 SP release.

nullnull

image.png

image.png

10 minutes ago, HawaiianRyan said:

I've been doing repairs.

Here is the 7-zip SHA-256 checksum from the most recent OpenBeta (after repair) versus the one included in your v21 SP release.

nullnull

image.png

image.png

Of course files are different between the default and mod?

• Like 1

• Taz1004 changed the title to Better Smoke V21 for DCS 2.8
5 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

I meant if both the default and mod files weren't changed, there's no reason it'd stop working.  Did you try redownloading the mod?

Yep. No factor, I'll just use ED's default for it since we basically don't use the A-10 anyway.

Thanks for all your help and your excellent work!

I was crashing constantly with the latest OB update. I'm updating to v21. I only use this mod and improved dot spotting mod. I even redid my graphics drivers and everything. I really hope this fixes it.

EDIT:
-Multithreading is not happy with my system as the latest OB update. I've done a bunch of troubleshooting. I played non MT and had no issues. I turned on this mod and it crashes randomly and inconsistently when weapons impact targets. Can't pin it down. No other mods.

Edited by Oscar Juliet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 4:46 PM, Mike Wazowsky said:

Seems that smoke markers show a HUGE fire and colored smoke, or is it just me? Thanks.

I am seeing extremely huge smoke plumes also. They look many times larger and darker than the original pics in this thread

Was actually going to look in the files to see if it could be cut down a bit.

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2023 at 12:46 AM, Mike Wazowsky said:

Seems that smoke markers show a HUGE fire and colored smoke, or is it just me? Thanks.

Nope, you are not the only one. Unfortunately I didn't took a screenshot, but oh boy those smokes are huge! They can't be that big intentionally? Using latest open beta v2.8.8.43704 multi-threaded.

Modules: FC3 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV-2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | UH-1H & WWII Assets Terrains: Normandy 2.0 | Persian Gulf | South Atlantic Mods: A-4E-C | OV-10A | VSN_F104G

PC: AMD FX-8370 (8-core) | DDR3-1866MHz 32GB | AMD Radeon Vega 56 8GB | Corsair TX750 PSU | Lenovo 34" 21:9 screen

Controllers: CH Products F-16 Fighterstick | Saitek X52 Pro throttle | Saitek pedals | TrackIR 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 11:33 AM, EA-18G_BlockII said:

same issue here, plus the smoke is kinda "polygonized"?

Screen_230927_223052.png

Screen_230927_223126.png

Did you end up getting this sorted? Im not having the issue right now but updated and such and I use this mod, so just curious if you ended up fixing it in the event i run into it.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800x w/ PBO on, RTX 3070ti w/ OC, 32 GB RAM @3000 | Quest 2, Virpil Joystick, Throttle, and Rudder