Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

I don't know why but the v20 SP is giving me a flable smoke for static smoke effect and plane crashing (like the DCS default one) instead of the usual Better Smoke nice one.

Using OVGME in Main DCS folder (files are correctly placed as I checked the activation of the mod).

Edited by NightFlier

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

8 hours ago, NightFlier said:

I don't know why but the v20 SP is giving me a flable smoke for static smoke effect and plane crashing (like the DCS default one) instead of the usual Better Smoke nice one.

Using OVGME in Main DCS folder (files are correctly placed as I checked the activation of the mod).

ST or MT?

Yeah, I think the update kinda broke some effects of the mod. Flew a JTAC mission yesterday, the WP markers had giant fireballs inside. 

• Like 1

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

Wow!  I just want to say that I'm very pleased and impressed that you've continuously kept this mod updated for all these years, and up to even the latest DCS version.  That's wild!  10/10

• Like 5

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

1 hour ago, Mav said:

Doesn't look like there are any dust trails working anymore in OB MT. No dust pick up with helo's landing either. 

That is gone in default MT without the mod too.

Even after 2.7 when ED implemented new smoke system, there were some remains of old particle system like the ones you mentioned.  Another example is some vehicles explode in 2 phases and first phase still used the old smoke.  These are now gone in MT.  Not replaced, just gone.  But I'm sure ED is working to replace these old smoke with new smoke.  Even smoke marker was using the old smoke and is now "replaced" with new smoke system in MT.

• Like 4

how does this mod interact with the latest smoke update?

From changelog:
"Added smoke from vehicles and some static objects based on health, this means as a vehicle takes more damage you may see different levels of smoke giving you a better idea visually if you did any damage on that last run in."

• Like 2

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

34 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

how does this mod interact with the latest smoke update?

From changelog:
"Added smoke from vehicles and some static objects based on health, this means as a vehicle takes more damage you may see different levels of smoke giving you a better idea visually if you did any damage on that last run in."

No file in this mod was altered.  I don't have much time to test this weekend.  I just flew for couple minutes and didn't see any issues.  Maybe you can tell me if there are issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

No file in this mod was altered.  I don't have much time to test this weekend.  I just flew for couple minutes and didn't see any issues.  Maybe you can tell me if there are issues.

i'm on vacation in Patagonia right now so unfortunately pretty far away from my PC 😉 
though could check out some of the south atlantic map locations irl

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, SmeagleGoneWild said:

@Taz1004 Is the mod working fine in MT and ST? I had to switch to ST lately after this last update but just for future reference, wondering if it’s good with MT given the comments above. Thank you!

There are still no tank/vehicle/helo dust in MT.  But that's not issue of this mod.  It doesn't exist in default MT either.  Otherwise, mod seems to be functioning fine for me in MT.

I haven't used it in ST for a while so can't say if there are any issues.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

There are still no tank/vehicle/helo dust in MT.  But that's not issue of this mod.  It doesn't exist in default MT either.  Otherwise, mod seems to be functioning fine for me in MT.

I haven't used it in ST for a while so can't say if there are any issues.

Great to hear and thank you for replying! Love the work. I was loving MT when it came out but I’ve been getting stutters lately so jumped back to ST. The SP pack is definitely amazing work! Cheers

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800x w/ PBO on, RTX 3070ti w/ OC, 32 GB RAM @3000 | Quest 2, Virpil Joystick, Throttle, and Rudder

Taz, any chance of an IC safe version of MP for the latest OB?  The main post still lists that the IC Safe version does not pass as of 2.8.5.

It looks like ED may have rendered this not possible with the change to file protections but I was hoping you could work some more magic.

1 hour ago, Rhayvn said:

Taz, any chance of an IC safe version of MP for the latest OB?  The main post still lists that the IC Safe version does not pass as of 2.8.5.

It looks like ED may have rendered this not possible with the change to file protections but I was hoping you could work some more magic.

Sorry, it's not like they locked just a few files.  Entire shader folder is off limits now.  Not much I can do.

I left the MP version links for those running older DCS version.  I don't think I will bother making any IC compatible versions going forward for any of my mods unless situation changes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Taz1004 Hey man, I just discovered this mod, so apologies if these are questions you've answered already: 

- Does this effect the density/visibility/dispersion time of missile smoke from SAMs? Easier to spot at launch/while in flight? 

- Is there more rendering happening? Would people see framerate drops from the 'increased' smoke? Or is it purely cosmetic with no extra work being done by your system? 

Thanks for this! Tremendous work.