Manual - when?

hreich

It's a real pitty NicCole is no longer with us. :cry:

~S!~

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

It's a real pitty NicCole is no longer with us. :cry:

~S!~

Who is NicCole?

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Nic Cole put up a real nice handbook when LockOn was released, that went far beyond the one that was present on the CD in PDF. He had reworked it, updated it to the things that were really in the Release-Version and sold high quality printed versions to the fans for about 60 USD IIRC.

In February 2005 he died in a tragic car accident. I remember his wife posted the tragic news that time and she sent the remaining manuals to the ones that hard ordered a copy, despite of her grief loss.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Awe, come on!

You're in here long enough to know that we don't look for answers in the FAQ. That is really too easy.

:smilewink:

If you need additional native Germans to translate the manual, I'd be glad to help you out. As I am also in the Graphics / Layout-business, I'd also like to offer my assistance in that regard, but I guess ED has a staff already working on that. :shifty:

• 2 months later...

I am one of the lucky one with that manual sat right in front of me, He did a amazing job, If dcs BS gets something similer I can promise i would sell like hot cakes, I for one HATES Pdf with a passion, and used to love opening up a new flight sim with a hugh manual, grabbing a bottle of beer and settling down the the day, Now with PDF you cant do that. :( Hell even though i dont fly lock on anymore I still read the manual. While Nic is no longer with us, He added so much to our community that in a way hes still here. R.I.P. mate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I am one of the lucky one with that manual sat right in front of me, He did a amazing job, If dcs BS gets something similer I can promise i would sell like hot cakes, I for one HATES Pdf with a passion, and used to love opening up a new flight sim with a hugh manual, grabbing a bottle of beer and settling down the the day, Now with PDF you cant do that. :( Hell even though i dont fly lock on anymore I still read the manual. While Nic is no longer with us, He added so much to our community that in a way hes still here. R.I.P. mate.
Nic did a really fine job.

My copy :)

lomanual.jpg

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

This handbook looks realy amazing, never saw it before.

There are webshops were you can get a book for less then 50€, all you need is mail them a PDF.

And of course it gets cheaper the more people would order it. (And in Germany there is a law that those books will be retailed by every bookstore)

So I think ED could very well make a printed manual possible.

Edited by ThunderChief

Damn YelloNet, Number 47??? You really were one of the 1st to get it you lucky sod, mines 1840, Though The best manual I have ever owned, Even if Dcs arn't thinking of a quality manual like this, I know they said you can get a hard copy, but not sure whats that will be like, then PLEASE PLEASE Think about one similar to this, Its amazing and is a great buy even by itself :D Hey You already have one sold right here. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Damn YelloNet, Number 47??? You really were one of the 1st to get it you lucky sod, mines 1840, Though The best manual I have ever owned, Even if Dcs arn't thinking of a quality manual like this, I know they said you can get a hard copy, but not sure whats that will be like, then PLEASE PLEASE Think about one similar to this, Its amazing and is a great buy even by itself :D Hey You already have one sold right here. :D
Hehe... yeah I guess I was lucky :P

Personally I'd be happy with a hardcopy such as the one delivered with Flanker 2.0, nothing fancy but full of good stuff to read and learn :)

Nic really did give a huge amount to the community with the manual... it was more work and expense then you guys realize and I hope to see his legacy continue with a quality manual that he set the standard for, included with the release of the DCS series.

• Like 1

Hey Shepski, Believe me i know it was alot of work, and hell I thank him from the bottom of my heart for it, It was a truly amazing job, and sadly the sort of manual thatis all too forgotten these days. Lets all keep our fingers crossed for another great manual to head our way.

:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IIRC, the first 20 or so went to the ED team as a gift. Mine was in the 50s somewhere.

. . . that's actually not an advantage, though, as the first series had clip-rings that were too large for the folder they were in.

Is there anyone around who can provide feedback on the official ED ring-bound Flaming Cliffs manual?

It was available from the shop, but I don't know anyone who bought one.

It's been told that ED plans on releasing the manual before the actual simulation, would it be possible to release it in parts for the community as each part of the manual gets done? I understand that the manual is created as a whole but perhaps some of the different sections will be ready before the rest and maybe some sections are constructed so that they would "make sense" on their own. I know something like this would be very appreciated by the community, personally I can't wait to finally sink my teeth in at least a part of that "brick" :book:

It's been told that ED plans on releasing the manual before the actual simulation, would it be possible to release it in parts for the community as each part of the manual gets done? I understand that the manual is created as a whole but perhaps some of the different sections will be ready before the rest and maybe some sections are constructed so that they would "make sense" on their own. I know something like this would be very appreciated by the community, personally I can't wait to finally sink my teeth in at least a part of that "brick" :book:

I second that. Have a credit card burning a hole in my pocket waiting for this. Don't think i've been as excited about a sim since Gunship way back when. As soon as pre order for Sim and Manual comes out, I'll have two of each please. Need to get my wingman a copy as well, at least then he won't be phoning me every two secs, asking how do we do x,y,z :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BS is a living product still in development.

A minor change in a component may represent a change in it's respective section of the manual (for any reason: mistake on typing, better explanation, whatever); so in my honest opinion it's better to release a manual when it's at 100% done.

Carlos "Design" Pastor

AMD64x2 5200+, 4GB DDR2, Asus M2V, Nvidia Geforce GTX260, Win7 x64