Recommended campaigns / missions for this bird

MrExplosion

Hey guys,

I'm new to this bird and looking for good content to play to get familiar with it. I was gonna try the deployment campaign but it seems pretty buggy and needs an overhaul. So I wondered if you guys could recommend a nice immersive campaign or mission with good voice overs etc. I have all the maps so thats not a factor.

Thanks!

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

IMO, for story content, GOW is a bit too realistic. "Go over there and blow stuff up and come back alive." :D No voiceovers. No "story".

I'd suggest Operation Medvedev II first. Then Deployment. Then Georgian Oil War. I am not sure what all the differences are with Georgian Oil War vs Oil War Chapter 1/2/3.

I am currently on the last few missions of Operation Medvedev II and Deployment. My playthrough got interrupted by the "your copilot spawned inside of you" bug a few months back. It's fixed now. Time to get back in the seat! (I have also done the first 5 missions of GOW.)

So Georgian Oil War is a "Grand Campaign" that contains Oil War Chapter 1/2/3. The campaign looks to be kind of dynamic depending on the results of the previous mission. Fun!

How is Deployment not for beginners?

The missions are very simple and there are no serious high-threat targets throughout the entire campaign you have to face yourself. The briefings are so detailed, they almost qualify as walkthroughs. If you can read briefings and have watched Wags' (old) Ka-50 tutorials, you can beat Deployment with relative ease.

GOW on the other hand scatters dozens of dangerous units all across the battlefield and leaves most decisions up to the player. I don't understand how the increased workload and threat level is supposed to help beginners.

Here's a 'fixed' version of Deployment, if you wanna give it another shot. I think it's an excellent 'extended tutorial'.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308753/

How is Deployment not for beginners?

Most of Deployment have very long ingress and egress. Beginners tend to make more mistakes. You fly 1 hour to target, you miss a target and it's time for court martial. Then restart, fly1 hour to your mission again.

For this reason, I consider GOW for beginner because the targets are right in front of you on most missions. Much better for practicing all aspects.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 11/9/2020 at 1:31 AM, Bailey said:

IMO, for story content, GOW is a bit too realistic. "Go over there and blow stuff up and come back alive." 😄 No voiceovers. No "story".

I'd suggest Operation Medvedev II first. Then Deployment. Then Georgian Oil War. I am not sure what all the differences are with Georgian Oil War vs Oil War Chapter 1/2/3.

I am currently on the last few missions of Operation Medvedev II and Deployment. My playthrough got interrupted by the "your copilot spawned inside of you" bug a few months back. It's fixed now. Time to get back in the seat! (I have also done the first 5 missions of GOW.)

Did you finish Medvedev II ? I think it must be the last mission now, where you shall go to the stadium; but I'm short before putting markers on, as through the fog you don't see a shit actually. But the sniper ZSU 23 hit you as good as in clear weather....

On 11/9/2020 at 7:24 AM, Taz1004 said:

Most of Deployment have very long ingress and egress. Beginners tend to make more mistakes. You fly 1 hour to target, you miss a target and it's time for court martial. Then restart, fly1 hour to your mission again.

For this reason, I consider GOW for beginner because the targets are right in front of you on most missions. Much better for practicing all aspects.

GOW is also cool to play afterwards the single parts again. I like it. Some of the campaigns you can locally reuse even for other modules, some are editible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm trying to run the updated Deployment campaign from https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308753/. However, even though the briefing states that I have half an hour before take-off, the voice over only mentions three minutes and the Hind takes off exactly at that time. Since the mission starts in a cold bird, am I expected to get it started up in three minutes? Or is something wrong here? I vaguely remember having enough time for a cold start, when I played Deployment years ago.

Thanks!

On 5/16/2021 at 10:38 AM, hobbes57 said:

Hi, I'm trying to run the updated Deployment campaign from https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308753/. However, even though the briefing states that I have half an hour before take-off, the voice over only mentions three minutes and the Hind takes off exactly at that time. Since the mission starts in a cold bird, am I expected to get it started up in three minutes? Or is something wrong here? I vaguely remember having enough time for a cold start, when I played Deployment years ago.

Thanks!

I was going to start Deployment tonight, after owning the Ka-50 for years but never putting it to much use. But after several VR-related crashes during the first few minutes I gave up as I need to sleep soon and it's a 45-min flight. Anyway, the original version of the mission gives you a hot start and the initial voiceover tells you there are three minutes before take off. The briefing text mentions the 30-min windows but I presume that's just flavour text. The updated version must have switched to a cold start without changing the timings. Doesn't really help you but it does explain why it's like it is.

Glad I read your post though, as I just found the updated campaign version and guess that's going to offer a better experience than the original, if the original is broken in 2.5.6.