F-22A Raptor mod enhancement mod

7 minutes ago, Nightstorm said:

Hey there.  Thanks for the feedback.  Just to clarify, this is an enhancement mod to the original F-22 by Grinnelli Designs 😉.  So it's a mod for a mod

Ahh, ok. So congrats and thanks to Grinelli design too.

6 minutes ago, Nightstorm said:

The RADAR, HUD, RWR and SMS are all part of the F-15C avionics and as such, cannot be modified.  The DLL that controls them is encrypted and they're not separate LUA files.

OK. What about writing own avionics? Is it possible as is or do some also encrypted ED "stuff" is needed? SDK maybe... pardon I'm new at this DCS Mods thingy.

3 minutes ago, mrjay said:

Ahh, ok. So congrats and thanks to Grinelli design too.

OK. What about writing own avionics? Is it possible as is or do some also encrypted ED "stuff" is needed? SDK maybe... pardon I'm new at this DCS Mods thingy.

That's beyond my current knowledge set.  And, the systems files for the F22 Mod are also encrypted so you'd basically have to start all over from scratch building new systems.  I'm not saying it can't be done, look at the A-29 mod for example, but it's way outside my skillset.   For the purposes of the F22 this is as good as we're likely to get for now.  Who knows though?  Some other enterprising team could come out with something tomorrow that we never heard of before.

Besides, with the classification on the Raptor's systems we have no real idea what the HUD or MFD's look like.  At least I've never seen any footage that shows anything other than a view of behind the pilot.

Edited by Nightstorm

13 minutes ago, Nightstorm said:

Besides, with the classification on the Raptor's systems we have no real idea what the HUD or MFD's look like.  At least I've never seen any footage that shows anything other than a view of behind the pilot.

You are right ... I only saw this simulator footage and thought it would be awesome to add this to this mod ... Thank you for your reply!

F22_cockpit_1267828237_3024.JPG

Yea I've got that picture as well and it was used for several of the displays.  I'd love to be able and do a moving map or an HSD but that would require the SDK as you suspected already.  I don't know if those displays are accurate or not but it would still be cool to replicate them if possible.

Added the bearing pointer back to the compass rose for the Maps so it points to your selected waypoint but doesn't have all of the other information that's on the HSI.

*EDIT*, I made the Compass and pointer slightly smaller on the Center MFD version so that it wasn't interfering with the heading box.

Both versions updated.

MAP.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

Minor code update on 12/1/21.  Adjusted update time for clocks and lat/long and placed "PMFD" on the main page like the others.  I suppose if you're already on the PMFD main page pushing a non-functional button that says PMFD and would take you to where you already are makes some level of sense.

Updated the "Night" mode version of modified files.

Both versions updated.

Edited by Nightstorm

The last couple of days I've been working on an idea I had several months ago but I didn't know then how to accomplish it.  Applying what I've learned since then, I've created a new page for the Center MFD.  Unfortunately, I can't add a new page without replacing an existing one.  Since the Center MFD already has the newly added map and it has some of the functions of the HSI, I opted to replace the HSI page.

The new page is a combination VVI/AOA & G FORCE gauge displays reminiscent of parts of the Viper's center stack console.

On the left is read out of the VVI with a gauge that displays your vertical velocity in 10's of thousands of feet per minute.  Max scale is + or - 60k FPM.

In the center is a read out with your current G-Load and a smaller scale that indicates positive and negative G's through + or - 9G.

On the right is a read out that shows your current AOA with a gauge that reads AOA in degrees in increments of 5 degrees.  Max scale is + or - 30 degrees.

At the bottom is the same slip/yaw display as seen on the ADI along with your FCS Mode since that has a direct impact on both G Load and AOA potential.

All Center MFD menus have been updated to replace VVI for the HSI.  Below are several screenshots.  Note the read outs compared to the gauge indicator positions.

Both versions updated.

VVI_00.jpg

VVI_01.jpg

VVI_02.jpg

VVI_03.jpg

VVI_04.jpg

VVI_05.jpg

• Like 1

Since the HSI was removed from the Center MFD for the new VVI page, I made adjustments to the Center MFD MAP page to add some of the HSI elements back in so that it can server a dual role.  I also added some elements back to the PMFD map page, but its primary function is to be the main MAP page.

Also corrected some text spacing on the HSI pages while I was there.

Both versions updated.

MFD_MAP.jpg

PMFD_MAP.jpg

MFD_MAP.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 1

Some additional news related to this enhancement mod.  I spoke to Grinnelli this morning on Discord as I was interested in the ability to add these new pages to MFD's w/o having to replace an existing page.  Of course, that would require access to the MFD_Systems.lua file which is encrypted.

He showed me how the encryption process works and provided me an unencrypted copy of the file to add new pages to the MFD's.  The stipulation is that I re-encrypt the file prior to distribution.  @GrinnelliDesigns  I want to thank him for his assistance and for proving the file!

Now I should be able to figure out how to add additional pages to the MFD's as well as retain the original ones.  That sounds pretty cool to me!

*EDIT* Initial tests revealed a couple of issues that need to be resolved.  The code for the FCS modes is missing so that doesn't work for any of the FCS pages yet and for some reason, keyboard binding won't work with the unencrypted file.  This version appears to be an older copy as there were other aspects missing.  I've added a few back in but there are a couple of obstacles to overcome.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 3

Nightstorm

I am flying the F15 module in FC3 and two issues have always been present from day one.  They are that the RWR and the MFD screens cannot be exported to a second monitor.  The radar view port can be exported to a second monitor.  I am wondering with your access to the MFD_Systems.lua, if there is any way that you can assist with this problem. 

Edited by sobe

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

11 hours ago, sobe said:

Nightstorm

I am flying the F15 module in FC3 and two issues have always been present from day one.  They are that the RWR and the MFD screens cannot be exported to a second monitor.  The radar view port can be exported to a second monitor.  I am wondering with your access to the MFD_Systems.lua, if there is any way that you can assist with this problem. 

Unfortunately, not.  There's nothing the the MFD_Systems.lua directly related to the functionality of those pages.  They are still embedded with the F15C avionics.   I too would like to be able and export those views.  I have three Cougar MFD's set up with screens and I know exactly what you're talking about.  Aside from the calls to select the SMS/RWR page on the left and right MFD and the RWR priority mode there's nothing in the MFD System that will allow for anything like that.  The only thing I can adjust is what OSB takes you back to the main menu page or to a different page.  There's another issue that those pages have no "dimmable" mode.  If you go into Night mode, they stay at full brightness.  The limits of the avionics.

Edited by Nightstorm

Nightstorm

Thank you for your response.  Many years ago someone did develop a mod that enabled the RWR to be exported to a second monitor, but It appears that such mod is now located in the same place as the Holy Grail.  As far as I know, the MFD was never able to be exported.  FYI, hF15.pngere is what I am flying now with the F15. 

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

After a couple of days of working with the MFD code I have some updates, pictures and most importantly, new versions available.  Thanks again to @GrinnelliDesigns!  The previous issues were overcome, and the pages all have full functionality.

I've expanded the MFD System to include new pages while retaining the use of original pages as much as possible.  The checklist page still had to be sacrificed for the new VVI page due to limitations I encountered.  (The pages are labeled 0-9 when I tried to create page "10" it caused issues.  So, it appears that for now at least, ten is the limit.  And the checklist is on the PMFD anyhow combined with the config page.)

Created a new control binding called "NavMode" that is used to reset MFD's to a default page once done with "Dogfight" mode. 

As shown in the screenshot below, the mode sets them to: ADI/VVI/HSI.  I bound that to my dogfight switch middle position so when I come out of dogfight mode it switches things back.

Original "nonspecial" MFD bindings no longer available.  All binding must be set to existing F22 MFD bindings.  (They wouldn't work anymore no matter what I tried.  If I resolve this issue, I'll revert this later.)

Set up a "PAGE" button on OSB 11 for all MFD's LMFD OSB 11, RMFD OSB11 and CMFD OSB11 to cycle through the available ten pages on each MFD.  (One of the few buttons not used on any page.)  Most pages have been labeled with "PAGE" where practical.  This can be bound to a HOTAS hat switch to cycle all MFD's with "left, right, down".

New MFD's have fully functional menus where applicable.

Renamed FCS G and AUTO G to FCS ACL and AUTO ACL as that's what it was labeled on the FCS pages.  "Auto Computed Level"?  It basically means the FCS tries to maintain 1G level flight if it can.  That change is reflected on all displays.

Changed default MFD's on startup as well as weapons bay selection.  Default is now ENG/FCS/BAY and bay select is ALL.

Updated DAY/NIGHT scripts for new pages.

Menu pages are updated with the changes with the "MAP" page now being the special page for the CMFD found at the bottom center on OSB 13.

Both versions updated and the unencrypted MFD_Systems.lua is NOT included.

MFD_01.jpg

MFD_02.jpg

Binding01.jpg

Binding02.jpg

Binding03.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 1

Flying the Raptor earlier this evening and scrolling through the MFD pages, I thought it would be nice if you could have a shortcut to get back to specific pages quickly.  I use JoytoKey and sometimes add a press-delay command to a button.  For instance, I press Hat 4 left on the FSSB R3 and hold it for half a second it sends a keyboard command for one of the shortcuts so that I can immediately switch to a specific page instead of scrolling through them.  

So, I created 27 commands for each of the 9 pages on each MFD (menu not included, why would you want a shortcut to the menu?)

They can be bound to either a controller or keyboard.

I bound them as seen in the screen shots below and it works great.

Both versions updated.

Short01.jpg

Short02.jpg

Short03.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 2

Added three additional commands to cycle each of the MFD's.  So now OSB 11 will cycle each corresponding MFD and show the animated button press OR a hat switch on your HOTAS will do the same thing without showing the animated button press.  The new commands are located under F-22A HOTAS section.

Both versions updated.

image.png

Nightstorm

Getting back to the F15, is there any way you can convince your friend to "lend" you the unencrypted lua file that controls at least the RWR so I can put the RWR on my second screen?

Just now, sobe said:

Nightstorm

Getting back to the F15, is there any way you can convince your friend to "lend" you the unencrypted lua file that controls at least the RWR so I can put the RWR on my second screen?

This isn't controlled by any 3rd party mod.  This is part of the Eagle Dynamics encrypted DLL file for the F-15C.  We have no access to do what you're asking.  In fact, you could search on the forums, and you'll find people have asked for exactly what you're asking and the answer from ED was "No."

The F22 mod "borrows" some of it's avionics from the F-15C though I don't know exactly how.  However, it has no ability to control them.  We can't for instance, replace the RADAR display with a more "F22" looking one.  We can't alter the RWR or the SMS in any significant way.  Example, I can't even move the text in the lower right corner of the SMS to make room for the work "PAGE" to turn the pages.  If there was a way to export the RWR and SMS pages w/o access to the software development kit, it would have already been done.  As you yourself noted, the previous method to export to an external app stopped working.  And I'd bet it was around the time that ED encrypted their DLL files.

In other news.....

"Well. It all comes down to who you believe…

USAF says they “butted heads” (launched flares) to warn off two Russian Su-25s that had passed the Euphrat river. This was done after the Su-25 refused to answer calls on multiple channels. F-22 also trailed a Su-35 that enter the airspace on the wrong side of the Euphrat.

Russian MoD say two Russian Su-25 was harassed by at least one F-22 on their side of the Euphrat river. Luckily, at least one Su-35 came to the rescue and drove off the F-22. USAF says they have no record of the flight mentioned taking place.

Allegedly, there is some frustration over the F-22 and is ability to roam the airspace undetected and show up without warning. Some say it’s even disconcerting to the Russians."

Edited by Nightstorm

3 часа назад, sobe сказал:

Ночной шторм

Возвращаясь к F15, есть ли какой-либо способ убедить своего друга «одолжить» вам незашифрованный lua-файл, который контролирует, по крайней мере, RWR, чтобы я мог поместить RWR на свой второй экран?

To move the RWR screen to another screen, you need to fix the EDM file and not the encrypted LUA code.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Tangentorf

Безымянный-2.png

Ah thanks for that information.  I wasn't sure how it was placed.  Obviously, I don't have access to the original cockpit model.  That said, the question wasn't one of moving it, it was editing them or exporting them.

I don't know of a way to export the RWR or SMS screens to external monitors like you can with the RADAR.

And, I don't know of a way to edit the appearance and content of the RADAR or SMS.  I don't think those things can be done.  If someone knows of a way, please share!

Tangentorf

I was able to open the Cockpit_F-15C.EDM file and with the help of a EDM reader, the only line with RWR in it is:

\R[RbRbR[RaR]RdRcR]R^RdR_RMReR`R_RfRfR_ReRaR`RgRgR`RfRbRaRhRhRaRgRcRdRiRiRdRjReRMRkRfReRlRlReRkRgRfRmRmRfRlRhRgRnRnRgRmRiRpRoRiRjRpRkRMRqRlRkRrRrRkRqRmRlRsRsRlRrRnRmRtRtRmRsRoRpRuRuRpRvRqRMRwRrRqRxRxRqRwRsRrRyRyRrRxRtRsRzRzRsRyRuR|R{RuRvR|RwRMR}RxRwR~R~RwR}RyRxR

The other 2 Edm files for the F15 did not contain any reference to the RWR that I could locate. 

You seem to be far more advanced in computer programing than I am.  I also have no idea what the Connector Tool plugin does or where to find it. 

Therefore, on behalf of the F-15c community, if you could explain how to do what you did (it seems like a combination of voodoo and magic), that would be greatly appreciated. 

Any thoughts on the MPCD?

@sobe  From what I saw in the pictures he posted, they were of the cockpit models for the F22 and the F15C.  They were showing the location of where the RWR page is rendered in those respective cockpits.  

I don't think that will be of any benefit to extracting the RWR to an external display.

If you would like to continue this conversation, I'd ask that you take it to PM or another thread as it has no direct relation to the F22 or the enhancement mod.

Thanks!

Some updates to other mods, CFT mod for the Viper/CATM Missile mod have affected this one as well.

The names of the AIM-9X series of missiles have been changed based on available information.

Names are:

AIM-9X-2, AIM-9X-2+(9L Replacement), AIM-9X-3.

AIM-9X-3 thrust increased by 10% over the 9X-2+ as its expected to have a better rocket motor.  The values used for the 9X-2+ were the ones previously used for the 9X-3. 

The AIM-9X-2+(9L Replacement) is available in the CFT mod.

*NOTE* If you choose to install the updated CFT mod along with the F-22 Raptor enhancement mod, you will ALSO need to use the single player external stores mod. (Linked below)

The reason is both contain the same A2A_Missiles.lua file and having two of them installed will cause problems.  Using the external stores mod will place that file in the same location as the copy included in the CFT mod.  They are the exact same file. 

It is not required to use the CFT mod with the F22 but in order to use it, AIM-9L's have been enabled for use on the F22 so that the AIM-9X-2+ missiles can be used.  There are also other 9l replacements included in the CFT mod.  The IRIS-T and the Python-5.  All of these can be used on any aircraft that could use the 9L, including the Raptor now.  The IRIS-T fits well in the bay, though I doubt an F22 would ever have them loaded.  It's a nice-looking model.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zia323bvadtkznl/F-22A External Weapons.7z?dl=0

Single player and External Stores versions updated.

Source information:  The AIM-9X Sidewinder May Finally Evolve Into A Completely New And Longer-Range Missile (thedrive.com)