Operation Scarlet Dawn - Syria PvE Persistent Campaign

Hi @Surrexen,

I think the last update may have broken the spawning of AI aircraft - at least in Operation Sea Slug. I am no longer getting AWACS, Tankers or AI rat spawns.

I've attached the log file if this helpsdcs.log.zip.

These are some of the type of errors:

2022-07-23 00:16:37.788 ERROR   SCRIPTING: Mission script error: [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00007AD8.lua"]:36383: attempt to index local 'UnitPoint' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
    [C]: ?
    [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00007AD8.lua"]:36383: in function 'GetVec2'
    [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00007AD8.lua"]:11102: in function 'New'
    [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00006BA3.lua"]:26: in main chunk

2022-07-23 00:16:39.982 ERROR   SCRIPTING: Mission script error: [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis000063A5.lua"]:3617: attempt to index global 'USAFAWACS_DATA' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
    [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis000063A5.lua"]:3617: in function 'SEF_USAFAWACS_SPAWN'
    [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis000063A5.lua"]:3600: in function 'SEF_USAFAWACS_SCHEDULER'
    [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis000063A5.lua"]:5662: in main chunk

2022-07-23 00:16:52.088 INFO    SCRIPTING: Setsuka's Sword - Monitoring For Inactivity
2022-07-23 00:16:52.088 ERROR   SCRIPTING: Mission script error: [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis0000515F.lua"]:105: attempt to index global 'USAFAWACS_DATA' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
    [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis0000515F.lua"]:105: in function 'SEF_SetukasSword'
    [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis0000515F.lua"]:2173: in main chunk

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Kilo Oscar - DCSNZA

20 minutes ago, Kilo Oscar said:

Yes 🙂

I've just fired it up on my end and I have AWACS/Tankers spawning etc. Did you change anything in the mission or scripts? In particular the airforce script, or the templates script?

38 minutes ago, Surrexen said:

I've just fired it up on my end and I have AWACS/Tankers spawning etc. Did you change anything in the mission or scripts? In particular the airforce script, or the templates script?

Yeah I've made a few changes, but none since the last patch. We were playing a "hardcore" version.

I removed the menu options to call for AI support.

I've disabled the blue AI CAP spawns, set the mission date to 1989 and enabled a limit on airframes and ordinance via warehousing (AWACS and tankers are set to have hundreds).

Added in IADS (and tried with out it).

Persistence is working fine (with the modification to the script that someone made in a previous post (unsure if this is still required)).

I've tried rolling back these changes, tried the base mission before I edited it and still no joy.

Have attached a copy of the mission if that helps at all.

BTW do you have a PATREON account?

Operation Sea Slug - 1989.zip

Edited by Kilo Oscar

32 minutes ago, Kilo Oscar said:

Yeah I've made a few changes, but none since the last patch. We were playing a "hardcore" version.

I removed the menu options to call for AI support.

I've disabled the blue AI CAP spawns, set the mission date to 1989 and enabled a limit on airframes and ordinance via warehousing (AWACS and tankers are set to have hundreds).

Added in IADS (and tried with out it).

Persistence is working fine (with the modification to the script that someone made in a previous post (unsure if this is still required)).

I've tried rolling back these changes, tried the base mission before I edited it and still no joy.

Have attached a copy of the mission if that helps at all.

BTW do you have a PATREON account?

Operation Sea Slug - 1989.zip 3.97 MB · 0 downloads

I'm not sure sorry, I can't open the mission file to check it as I don't use mods. I can't see anything immediately wrong in the scripts. I can only assume one of the changes you've made has interfered with it, I just checked the last public release version and the AWACS and Tankers are spawning, along with the version I'm putting together including the Mirage F1, Carrier ACLS, and a persistence fix that is different to the one mentioned by others in the thread. 

That said, the error 2022-07-23 00:16:39.982 ERROR   SCRIPTING: Mission script error: [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis000063A5.lua"]:3617: attempt to index global 'USAFAWACS_DATA' (a nil value) suggests that the airforce script is not running at all, as that global gets set up inside that script (line 177 in your version of the script).

Hopefully that points you in the right direction.

Edited by Surrexen

9 minutes ago, Surrexen said:

I'm not sure sorry, I can't open the mission file to check it as I don't use mods. I can't see anything immediately wrong in the scripts. I can only assume one of the changes you've made has interfered with it, I just checked the last public release version and the AWACS and Tankers are spawning, along with the version I'm putting together including the Mirage F1, Carrier ACLS, and a persistence fix that is different to the one mentioned by others in the thread. 

That said, the error 2022-07-23 00:16:39.982 ERROR   SCRIPTING: Mission script error: [string "C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis000063A5.lua"]:3617: attempt to index global 'USAFAWACS_DATA' (a nil value) suggests that the airforce script is not running at all, as that global gets set up inside that script (line 177 in your version of the script).

Hopefully that points you in the right direction.

Ah - forgot about the mods. They're just ingrained is all the missions we run.

Very much appreciate your time looking at it. Will keep looking and hopefully find out what is going on. At worst - we can wait till your new version out and go with that! Oh for the ability to "trace" ...

Cheers
Kilo Oscar - DCSNZA

Hey @Surrexen, you mentioned new persistency, is that due to the problem with statics mentioned earlier? Do you know if ED fixed this?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

37 minutes ago, Scotch75 said:

Hey @Surrexen, you mentioned new persistency, is that due to the problem with statics mentioned earlier? Do you know if ED fixed this?

Cheers!
emoji1634.png

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Yes it's a workaround for the ongoing issue. And sadly, no.

5 hours ago, Kilo Oscar said:

Ah - forgot about the mods. They're just ingrained is all the missions we run.

Very much appreciate your time looking at it. Will keep looking and hopefully find out what is going on. At worst - we can wait till your new version out and go with that! Oh for the ability to "trace" ...

Cheers
Kilo Oscar - DCSNZA

@Surrexen

I think I've found the problem. On a hunch I removed the Kuznetsov from the SeaSlugUnitInterment.lua file (SeaSlugUnitInterment[87] = "CV 1143.5 Admiral Kuznetsov"), fixed the array numbering up, and the mission runs fine. 

Attached the persistence files to see if you can replicate it.

SeaSlug Persistence Files.zip

9 minutes ago, Kilo Oscar said:

@Surrexen

I think I've found the problem. On a hunch I removed the Kuznetsov from the SeaSlugUnitInterment.lua file (SeaSlugUnitInterment[87] = "CV 1143.5 Admiral Kuznetsov"), fixed the array numbering up, and the mission runs fine. 

Attached the persistence files to see if you can replicate it.

SeaSlug Persistence Files.zip 2.65 kB · 0 downloads

Some further testing seems to be showing that if the Kuznetsov is destroyed, the red AI aircraft stop spawning altogether.

1 hour ago, Kilo Oscar said:

Some further testing seems to be showing that if the Kuznetsov is destroyed, the red AI aircraft stop spawning altogether.

Ah intriguing. Looks like I accidently made it check for the existence of the group and not the unit being alive before spawning. Will fix it up. Good catch thanks for letting me know.

Edit: Same issue was in Clear Field Escalation, both fixes will be in the update etc.

Edited by Surrexen
  • Thanks 1

Operation Scarlet Dawn/Operation Sea Slug/Operation Snowfox Escalation/Operation Clear Field Escalation updated:

1. Persistence workarounds added (I'd advise starting new persistence files to avoid / detect any strangeness)

2. Carriers ACLS added, details in briefings

3. Mirage F1 client slots added

4. Scarlet Dawn/Snowfox Escalation IRIAF Mirage M-2000C's swapped out for Mirage F1BQ's and F1EQ's as nature intended

5. Checks for red carriers being alive before attempting to spawn planes on them corrected as per Kilo Oscar's hot tip off

Enjoy

Edited by Surrexen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 9:39 AM, Grizzley said:

I think I do it by adding aircraft to the airfield(s) I want to use and set them to late start. I add a trigger on mission start to detect if the airfield is blue and then activates them if they are.

unfortunately late activation doesn't work with client slots. the only current way to do what you're looking to do is with the Simple Slot Blocker script.

12900K | MSI Z690 | STRIX RTX3090 | 64GB DDR4 3600MHz | NVMe Storage gen3 | Custom Loop | Valve Index

It works when you start the mission back up after capturing the airfield. You create a trigger with a condition of COALITION HAS AIRDOME. I believe the Action is GROUP ACTIVATE but I'm not positive with going into one of our missions and looking. I'll try and create a sample mission and add the code to it.

Edited by Grizzley
  • Like 1

2022/7/24 PM6点50分,Surrexen说:

Operation Scarlet Dawn/Operation Sea Slug/Operation Snowfox Escalation/Operation Clear Field Escalation updated:

1. Persistence workarounds added (I'd advise starting new persistence files to avoid / detect any strangeness)

2. Carriers ACLS added, details in briefings

3. Mirage F1 client slots added

4. Scarlet Dawn/Snowfox Escalation IRIAF Mirage M-2000C's swapped out for Mirage F1BQ's and F1EQ's as nature intended

5. Checks for red carriers being alive before attempting to spawn planes on them corrected as per Kilo Oscar's hot tip off

Enjoy

Thanks forthe awsome maps you made here! One question though, say I want to change the red squadron spwanning from 2 ships flight into 4 ships flight. How may I do this? Also if I want to include the CTLD script, does it conflict with Helo operation?

Thanks again!

On 8/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, PaulSummer said:

Does anyone know if i take an Airfield will it then populate so we can fly from it ?

To do this you need to implement Ciribob's simple slot block system and make a lot of scripting changes to handle airfield ownership changes.

On 8/24/2022 at 1:10 PM, Flying Duqi said:

Thanks forthe awsome maps you made here! One question though, say I want to change the red squadron spwanning from 2 ships flight into 4 ships flight. How may I do this? Also if I want to include the CTLD script, does it conflict with Helo operation?

Thanks again!

You can do this by making some additions to the templates script to add in templates for 3 or 4 ship flights for a given airframe, and then making the appropriate changes to the airforce script tables. As for CTLD, not sure ... I was making the Helo Ops thing as an alternative 'CTLD light' kind of thing that didn't require mist and would tie into persistency the way I wanted. Originally I had much bigger ideas for it (and a lot of other things) but now don't have the time to work on it anymore. You should be able to strip out Helo Ops and add CTLD in instead without breaking anything. I would not recommend using both systems together. Hope that helps.

Edited by Surrexen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Surrexen im trying to add this to your mission (see attached file CTLD-100) but i am running into a little problem, i removed the helicopter file provided as well just incase. everything seems to load and work correctly except the actual crates that load from CTLD-100-basic.lua. I attached the mission for you to take a look if you would plz.

try to call up some crates with the huey with group name "Helicargo". you can try load the crates directly from where its parked.

any help would be much appreciated.

CTLD-100 - Basic.lua

Operation_Scarlet_Dawn.miz

Edited by markh

On 8/25/2022 at 4:45 AM, Surrexen said:

To do this you need to implement Ciribob's simple slot block system and make a lot of scripting changes to handle airfield ownership changes.

You can do this by making some additions to the templates script to add in templates for 3 or 4 ship flights for a given airframe, and then making the appropriate changes to the airforce script tables. As for CTLD, not sure ... I was making the Helo Ops thing as an alternative 'CTLD light' kind of thing that didn't require mist and would tie into persistency the way I wanted. Originally I had much bigger ideas for it (and a lot of other things) but now don't have the time to work on it anymore. You should be able to strip out Helo Ops and add CTLD in instead without breaking anything. I would not recommend using both systems together. Hope that helps.

i added moose ctld but there seems to be a problem with crates not showing in the menu, see my post above.

Edited by markh