Operation Scarlet Dawn - Syria PvE Persistent Campaign

On 4/6/2023 at 6:47 PM, hlfritz said:

@phrogZdo you maybe have a pointer to where the issue was reported?  I would like to keep tabs on it.

It's has been reported internally, and a fix is coming... I encounter the issue with some static unit (I.E. sandbox) and not all the static unit.

There was also an issue with the speedboats that are not saved with the persistence, BUT it's not specific to this update ( I didn't troubleshoot it, neither reported it).

Edited by phrogZ

After todays update it appears statics are being recorded properly in the persistence files (I haven't tested every type yet). Please start new persistence files and let me know if you run into issues with any particular type of static object.

Edit: Speedboats don't record at all still, it seems they don't trigger an on death event when they die?

Edited by Surrexen

On 4/15/2023 at 1:34 AM, phrogZ said:

For the speedboat I'll ask today, but I want to submit an other issue a the same time (I need to build a short miz to reproduce the other problem).

From what I can see, speedboats are not triggering an on death event when they die. I am not sure whether there are any other objects that are also not triggering on death events when killed. The in game event log no longer shows 'dead' as an event type (not sure how long that has been the case as I don't play much, and not sure if it's intentional or a bug).

I have briefly tested swapping over to make use of on event kill to do the logging, but have already run into cases where objects can die without a 'killer', so then you get objects that die that don't get logged at all, which is of course not very useful.

This isn't the first time that things have gone sideways after an update. The amount of times I have had to recode things Is bordering on ridiculous. I'm honestly not sure what the best approach is now ... I'm strongly considering removing all persistence from the missions. Suggestions welcome.

Edited by Surrexen

What you did to have persistence is awesome. If you do the ratio of benefits/problems... benefits win largely 😉. IMO It was worse few years ago, and now it's pretty reliable!

Speedboat issue ( It was not already reported, and I have this issue since 3-4 months ago) will be fixed.

It's not a blocking point, you can still open the editor and remove the unit. I also had the second case it happens approximately on 1 of 50 killed unit, not a big deal, kill again the unit a second time and voila!

On 3/24/2023 at 5:05 PM, swartbyron said:

I am and I do see an improvement but my poor old i7-2600 still cant handle all the AI and Syria map at the same time. Operation Clear Field and Operation Snowfox run beautifully its just the Syria map that needs to be lightly loaded with units if I'm going to use it on my old set-up.

System upgrade for me in May 🤞

My new i9-13900KS has solved the problem 😍

I couldnt wait till May lol

• 1 month later...

bummer, was excited to see the issue might be fixed (persistence) but now I go to load the mission and i do not even get the persistence files created.  yes, my user has write permission to the directory, i even manually update my MissionScripting.lua each update.  here is what it looks like:

--Initialization script for the Mission lua Environment (SSE)

dofile('Scripts/ScriptingSystem.lua')

-- The following line must be added for LoTATC
dofile(lfs.writedir().."Mods\\services\\LotAtc\\lua utils\\lotatcMissionServer.lua")

--Sanitize Mission Scripting environment
--This makes unavailable some unsecure functions. 
--Mission downloaded from server to client may contain potentialy harmful lua code that may use these functions.
--You can remove the code below and make availble these functions at your own risk.

local function sanitizeModule(name)
	_G[name] = nil
	package.loaded[name] = nil
end

do
	sanitizeModule('os')
	--sanitizeModule('io')
	--sanitizeModule('lfs')
	_G['require'] = nil
	_G['loadlib'] = nil
	_G['package'] = nil
end

but if there were a permission issue, does DCS log an error anywhere?  i scanned the log but saw nothing.  any ideas?

of course we can hope the update yesterday/today did not bork things again.

Edited by hlfritz

false alarm!  apologies.  i did not realize that the mission does not seem to create the files until after a player takes off or after the first kill is made.  can you confirm this?

we had someone test and he killed an SA-2, and the files are created and the SA-2 is listed.

6 hours ago, hlfritz said:

false alarm!  apologies.  i did not realize that the mission does not seem to create the files until after a player takes off or after the first kill is made.  can you confirm this?

we had someone test and he killed an SA-2, and the files are created and the SA-2 is listed.

If there are no files are present when the mission starts, then by default it will be 5 minutes after mission start when they are created. It then updates those files every 5 minutes by default.

I assume there are still some units that are not creating dead events (like the speedboats), although I have not checked in the latest beta. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Surrexen,

yes, speedboats are not working.  seems there may be others as well.  I got hits on and saw the notification (chat window) that I killed an SA-5, an EWR and one more item in the Latakia (i think i have that right), but they were not recorded in the units file nor in the static file.

does the mission update the files even if it has nothing to do (i.e. write to them)?  i do note time/date stamps are moving forward in time.

i can dig more into the above kills and give you more info if necessary.

thx!

• 1 month later...

Hi after last updates of DCS AWACS its not working and all units start from turning point.

Tried to change the slots to TAKE OFF FROM RAMP but give me ERROR.

Had to change all to TAKEOFF FROM GROUND.

Still trying to fix the AWACS script someway, please help!

2023-07-22 16:52:37.476 INFO    SCRIPTING (Main):  27522(  5536)/E:                         SPAWN06464.SpawnAtParkingSpot(ERROR: Could not find enough free parking spots!)

Edited by Appocalypsebr

On 7/23/2023 at 3:11 AM, Appocalypsebr said:

Hi after last updates of DCS AWACS its not working and all units start from turning point.

Tried to change the slots to TAKE OFF FROM RAMP but give me ERROR.

Had to change all to TAKEOFF FROM GROUND.

Still trying to fix the AWACS script someway, please help!

2023-07-22 16:52:37.476 INFO    SCRIPTING (Main):  27522(  5536)/E:                         SPAWN06464.SpawnAtParkingSpot(ERROR: Could not find enough free parking spots!)

I have just checked and this is not happening for me, everything is working as expected. Did you modify the mission in any way?

Screen_230724_073724.jpg

Screen_230724_073949.jpg

Screen_230724_074022.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@Surrexen

Hey m8,

me and all the pilots in our squadron are really enjoying your dynamic missions in PG, Caucasus and Syria.

We‘ve been flying these missions in rotation. Starting with the first conflict in PG and working up trough caucasus.

We added different weather settings, custom kneeboards and did some adjustments for our squadron. We even had a cold war version of one of your missions. 🙂

Now i‘am asking you if there is going to be a similar mission for the new Sinai Map?

Edited by Oberst Struppi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Oberst Struppi said:

@Surrexen

Hey m8,

me and all the pilots in our squadron are really enjoying your dynamic missions in PG, Caucasus and Syria.

We‘ve been flying these missions in rotation. Starting with the first conflict in PG and working up trough caucasus.

We added different weather settings, custom kneeboards and did some adjustments for our squadron. We even had a cold war version of one of your missions. 🙂

Now i‘am asking you if there is going to be a similar mission for the new Sinai Map?

Highly unlikely. Too many bugs.

On 7/23/2023 at 6:44 PM, Surrexen said:

I have just checked and this is not happening for me, everything is working as expected. Did you modify the mission in any way?

Screen_230724_073724.jpg

Screen_230724_073949.jpg

Screen_230724_074022.jpg

Hi ! it was my DCS was corrupted broken. Now is working fine. Forget it!

@Surrexen

1 - Now I am trying to do other nice thing! ADD the UH-60L mod! to the HELO OPERATIONS MENU, so i added in the HELO OPERATIONS.LUA the 'or EventGroupType == "UH-60L" ' in the end of the script but its not working, any idea how can we add the balckhawk mod to the helo operations scripts?

1.1 - Just Discover that The group type description off mods is 4. Só script was keeping The mod out, changed It and now The menu off Helô opertions shows UP. But still nothing seems to work out, think mods Works diferent maybe?

2 - I added automatic slot block script to the mission, and created new slots like some advanced tactical airbases, so when the mission is restarted you have some advanced slots, to get back somewhere near you was flying before.

3 - Added Helos in advanced airbases but they do not work for HELO OPERATIONS, any idea why?

3.1 - Checked in the HELO OPERATIONS script, you have Cargo and Infantry zones in the script and in the mission, so i tried to add the TABQA zone in the script and added 1 slot for UH-1H in TABQA for testing, but when i slot in and select the HELO MENU OPTIONS, none of the options seems to work. Any idea why new slots seems not to work? Is there somewhere else i need to add for new slots to work as HELO OPS?

Thanks a lot great mission!

Edited by Appocalypsebr

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 6:17 PM, Surrexen said:

Once you have done that, start DCS and launch the mission. The mission will then write out a list of dead units and statics to a pair of lua files inside the DCS root folder. A file is also generated to track the status of airfields. Another one is generated to track what you have built from the helo operations menu. Once these files exist, the mission will load those files when it starts up and remove the units and statics that were previously destroyed so you can pick up where you left off.

I have enabled persistency by updating the MissionScripting.lua file in the OB Scripts folder.

What are these two files called?  I don't see them where I am looking and am concerned that they are not being written properly.  Can I see where they are written in the server log somewhere?

Thanks.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

5 hours ago, Mistermann said:

I have enabled persistency by updating the MissionScripting.lua file in the OB Scripts folder.

What are these two files called?  I don't see them where I am looking and am concerned that they are not being written properly.  Can I see where they are written in the server log somewhere?

Thanks.

ScarletDawnAirbases.lua

ScarletDawnConstructions.lua

ScarletDawnStaticInterment.lua

ScarletDawnUnitInterment.lua

They get written to the DCS World directory by default, not the saved games.

That said, I'm in the process of a total re-write of the code to drop persistence and to get rid of Moose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!  I wasn't starting the server as administrator.  Once I did that, those files started getting written.

Wow, rewriting this has to be a massive undertaking.  As a community member who benefits from your labor of love, THANK YOU!

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

13 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

Thanks!  I wasn't starting the server as administrator.  Once I did that, those files started getting written.

Wow, rewriting this has to be a massive undertaking.  As a community member who benefits from your labor of love, THANK YOU!

Yeah it's taking some time that's for sure. About 2/3rds of the way through Snowfox as it stands, whilst simultaneously working on Normandy for what will replace my old Operation Jupiter stuff. So after a long hiatus, there are some things being moulded into shape on the forge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 4:00 PM, Appocalypsebr said:

Hi ! it was my DCS was corrupted broken. Now is working fine. Forget it!

@Surrexen

1 - Now I am trying to do other nice thing! ADD the UH-60L mod! to the HELO OPERATIONS MENU, so i added in the HELO OPERATIONS.LUA the 'or EventGroupType == "UH-60L" ' in the end of the script but its not working, any idea how can we add the balckhawk mod to the helo operations scripts?

1.1 - Just Discover that The group type description off mods is 4. Só script was keeping The mod out, changed It and now The menu off Helô opertions shows UP. But still nothing seems to work out, think mods Works diferent maybe?

2 - I added automatic slot block script to the mission, and created new slots like some advanced tactical airbases, so when the mission is restarted you have some advanced slots, to get back somewhere near you was flying before.

3 - Added Helos in advanced airbases but they do not work for HELO OPERATIONS, any idea why?

3.1 - Checked in the HELO OPERATIONS script, you have Cargo and Infantry zones in the script and in the mission, so i tried to add the TABQA zone in the script and added 1 slot for UH-1H in TABQA for testing, but when i slot in and select the HELO MENU OPTIONS, none of the options seems to work. Any idea why new slots seems not to work? Is there somewhere else i need to add for new slots to work as HELO OPS?

Thanks a lot great mission!

Great to know you working and doing great missions, cant wait to have de dinamic missions in core of the DCS to work with.

1 - Tried every thing i know here to ADD the UH-60L mod, but DCS dont like to enable certain things for MODs, so simply do not work even with heavy modification on the scripts.

2 - If you can add the slot block script or something better would be nice for the progression of the mission, is too large mission for small groups of people to complete, or a version for single or small groups.

3 - For HELO OPERATIONS, is the same in 1, the MODs don't work, only full modules works.

4 - Will be nice to have in the next version more helo slots and more helo options in the advanced bases as you capture them, sou you can continue to advance of defences more continuos, because every time you load the mission you have to start from too far away. Helos are slow people don't want to do the same trip, every time they load the map.

5 - Can't get the north awacs (dark start) to advance to the next points(areas) or next fases, and the south awacs (overlod) is simply not working not spawning.

Well that is my sugestions i think they are simple and nice to have, if you wan't i can send what i did in the scripts here, and you can copy what i did so far, and the mission is running great here.

Our servers people are enjoying to slow, and steady progression of the mission with small steps.

They all pilots and don't have much time to be online, so we like missions we can leave and come back, still near where we was before.

Thanks!

Edited by Appocalypsebr

16 hours ago, Appocalypsebr said:

1 - Tried every thing i know here to ADD the UH-60L mod, but DCS dont like to enable certain things for MODs, so simply do not work even with heavy modification on the scripts.

3 - For HELO OPERATIONS, is the same in 1, the MODs don't work, only full modules works.

The mods need to ALSO be installed in the SERVER'S Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Mods\Aircraft folder in order for them to be recognized.

Slot blocker is a pain in the rear to get working, so I doubt Surrexen will add that to his list of things to do.

Unfortunately slot block doesn't work in single player unless you self-host as a multiplayer server which is a headache. Since the whole purpose of what I'm doing right now is to remove the common headaches/barriers/problems etc from the missions, it is something that will continue to be left on the cutting room floor. If I can figure this all out just right, you won't need slot block anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Operations Snowfox/Clear Field/Scarlet Dawn/Sea Slug have been updated to provide (hopefully) support for the latest open beta patch, which caused some scripting issues due to a fix that was rolled out to the API. I anticipate this will be the last time theses missions get updated in their current form, but of course you never know. Please let me know if any issues come up.

I was aiming to replace Operation Jupiter with what would been the first mission in a series for it, but it isn't quite ready yet and unfortunately will also be awaiting a fix for the new Biggin Hill airfield.

• Thanks 5

11 hours ago, Surrexen said:

Operations Snowfox/Clear Field/Scarlet Dawn/Sea Slug have been updated to provide (hopefully) support for the latest open beta patch, which caused some scripting issues due to a fix that was rolled out to the API. I anticipate this will be the last time theses missions get updated in their current form, but of course you never know. Please let me know if any issues come up.

I was aiming to replace Operation Jupiter with what would been the first mission in a series for it, but it isn't quite ready yet and unfortunately will also be awaiting a fix for the new Biggin Hill airfield.

Thanks, I'm looking really forward to Operation Jupiter when its done. 👍

Edited by swartbyron