Question about the functionality of the GMT radar mode

sirrah

Where I see some use is to detect a SAM site by its rotating radar

I tested that the other day and it's not implemented. Seems like GMT only detects moving targets, not movement in general. A little disappointing, but maybe it'll be improved in future patches. There's potential though, I detected a helicopter at 80 knots once, but it was showing up as a faint return brick instead of a full brick, so there's some variation coded in.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

27 minutes ago, Harker said:

I tested that the other day and it's not implemented. Seems like GMT only detects moving targets, not movement in general. A little disappointing, but maybe it'll be improved in future patches. There's potential though, I detected a helicopter at 80 knots once, but it was showing up as a faint return brick instead of a full brick, so there's some variation coded in.

Yeah, that was first things I tested. At least the 9K33 Osa was not detectable. But then I thought that maybe its radar is just too small and it is only for something larger like EWR that would reveal on it.

But anyways, seems so OP that moving target detection as on the moment the sweep just moves across the map everything appears nicely in that 40 nmi range.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yeah, that was first things I tested. At least the 9K33 Osa was not detectable. But then I thought that maybe its radar is just too small and it is only for something larger like EWR that would reveal on it.

But anyways, seems so OP that moving target detection as on the moment the sweep just moves across the map everything appears nicely in that 40 nmi range.
I tried with the massive, rotating Big Bird radar of the SA-10, no joy.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

So far it seems the way DCS simulates it is way oversimplified (resulting also in a really op system), and doesn't consider a lot of factors, just depicting moving units as spawned form the ME/scripting. As you can read in the bug reports section, there are some reports and requets for ED to improve this to perform in a more realistic manner.

2 minutes ago, Mower said:

Is GMT implemented now?

Yeah latest update I believe.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

12 minutes ago, Leadbottom said:

Is anyone else having difficulty with the GMT mode of the new radar update in DCS Beta?  I've been testing it using BMPs and T-72s moving at 7nm and it won't detect any of them. The SEA mode works great, just can't get the GMT mode to work.

Nope, works fine here. The only thing noticeable is that it seems to be an arcade implementation, not a simulation. It just detects military targets and nothing else. It doesn't detect waves on lakes or rivers, trains, vehicles in general, etc.

But the way ED wanted it to work, works.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

16 minutes ago, CougarFFW04 said:

Hi everyone,

When a convoy of vehicles is detected is there a simple way to cycle the locked vehicle in the convoy ?

Thanks

Wouldn't that be cool... sort of a RAID mode for GMT.

Another cool feature would be an auto acquisition mode for movers within short range. In case of multiple vehicles we could 'probably' reject current lock and let it jump to another vehicle 😬

With the flir open, when I lock up my gmt or sea radar on a moving target the flir will auto slave to the target.  However while the radar stays with the moving target the flir does not.  The flir stays ground stabilized locked in 1 place while the target moves out of view.

Is this normal?

On 2/3/2021 at 7:06 PM, fitness88 said:

With the flir open, when I lock up my gmt or sea radar on a moving target the flir will auto slave to the target.  However while the radar stays with the moving target the flir does not.  The flir stays ground stabilized locked in 1 place while the target moves out of view.

Is this normal?

Maybe put the FLIR into Point Track mode, as that is intended for moving targets?