Do you want a VR lookback view?

Terry Dactil

12 minutes ago, shaun57 said:

Nobiwan has just fixed this for DCS. I've just tried his latest DCS test version and it works perfectly, both the buttoned and autorotate.

It seems to be vital to map the "reset" button and press that first, otherwise the jump up occurs. Once it's been reset however, everything works and no further resets required.

Tested on the Viper and A10C this morning. New DCS version is towards the end of his thread.

Oh, my start up sequence had to be: WMR -> Steam VR then open a desktop window and run VRNeckSafer, then DCS. It wouldn't run before Steam VR loaded.

My feedback : you must calibrate a "seated" roomspace in WMR. You must also care about the yaw angle in steamVR : the triangle on ground must be in front of you. If not, calibrate WMR again. And, as shaun57 said, you'll have to mapl the reset bouton and use it once in cockpit, so best way is to use the same as view reset.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Can someone attach the new version. I don’t have or want a GitHub account. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Attached

I've just realised that this also solves my problem of not being able to twist my neck far enough back and down to bring the sweet spot over the A10C radio and lighting side console controls in DCS without pretty much getting out of my chair. Now it's easy with the touch of a button!

VRNeckSafer_Release_VRNeckSaferDCSTest.zip

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Thanks for that, I'll try it out a bit later.

A workaround for the issue you describe has always been turn your head, press the recenter button (bound to your HOTAS, of course) and repeat if necessary. Messy, but it works.  Hopefully this new tool will mean not having to do that any more.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

just tried it , it behaved exactly the same.

you get offset left and back, regardless of direction you turn and then when you turn front you are left hanging in mid air with autototate.

with the buttons you are just moved left and their is no offset backwards

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Just now, speed-of-heat said:

just tried it , it behaved exactly the same.

you get offset left and back, regardless of direction you turn and then when you turn front you are left hanging in mid air

You need to press reset - which I have bound to the same button as VR recenter on my HOTAS -  once to stop that happening.  Works nicely for me in this version.

• Like 1

just did a clean install... it now seems to teleport me vertically , but not laterally ... but it still does not return to to head height though it does recenter forward  

yes i did press reset 🙂

DOH! wrong device!

Yes it works like a charm this is so fricking cool!

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

With VRnecksafer, can you bind a button for "look back/behind"?  Do you have to use that bind/button, as well as a "go back to forward", after of course having hit "recenter"?  If so, how do you do this, I downloaded VRnecksafer, but there isn't any docs with it, and haven't been able to try it in game as I'm not at home, but I'd like to get this figured out while at work today.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

you can bind look left, look right and center 

or just set the autorotate and centre 

20 minutes ago, Gman109 said:

With VRnecksafer, can you bind a button for "look back/behind"?  Do you have to use that bind/button, as well as a "go back to forward", after of course having hit "recenter"?  If so, how do you do this, I downloaded VRnecksafer, but there isn't any docs with it, and haven't been able to try it in game as I'm not at home, but I'd like to get this figured out while at work today.

The "snap" left or right is only effective while you hold the button (I've bound left and right on my coolie hat). It snaps back to your current head position when you release the button. You can define the angle you want it to snap (this is the number of degrees left or right that it will add to your current head position). I'm finding 30-35 degrees works well.

Autorotate does it's "snap" when your head position reaches a defined angle left or right from straight ahead. I have mine set at 110 degrees. So when my head reaches that angle it snaps an additional 30 degrees (or whatever you define) and I'm looking back over the tail. It snaps back to actual head position automatically when you turn your head back (again at an angle you can define seperately - I have set mine to snap back at 100 degrees).

You MUST also map a button to the reset function, but that is only required once, when you first enter the cockpit, to calibrate it's zero position. I think most of us are mapping that to the button we already have mapped to the DCS VR View reset. If you forget to click that first you'll have an out of body experience 😉

For me it's worth having both the manual button snaps mapped AND autorotate enabled. I'm using the autorotate to check my six and the buttons are more useful to get the headset sweet spot over the left and right side consoles so I can read them without cricking my neck.

I have to say this is brilliant little mod.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

12 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Try the new version ... it auto recenters from auto rotate

The version I have does that already. Where are you getting a new version - Github ?

Ok thanks all.  And TYVM Nobiwan, so many threads about this subject, great to see someone like you do something about it.  Can't wait to get home right now.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

What would be incredibly useful would be to allow a modifier in the left/right button config.  I'm struggling to find 2 buttons unassigned on my HOTAS and I do use a button as a modifier.

In the A-10c II at least, simply pressing F4 gives me a perfect "Look Back" view, though it is not head level. However, doing the same (F4) in either the Hornet or Viper, the view snaps to forward, but attached to the right side elevator area.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

That's a hands off operation though.  Not much use in a dogfight!

6 hours ago, imacken said:

That's a hands off operation though.  Not much use in a dogfight!

I have it mapped on throttle, along with F1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed, Nobiwan released version 2.0 yesterday (On that other combat sim's forum thread and his Gitlab). Looks like modifiers now allowed and bunch on new features added.

Will try it later

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...