How do I...

Reflected

I've been spending a lot of time learning the Viper. I watched many great tutorial videos by Wags, Spudknocker, the GR, and RedKite.

There are still some things I just can't figure out.

- When there's no AWACS, I can lock and manage the targets in TWS fine. but when there's an awacs, targets are red triangles and I can't seem to manage or select them. Tried TMS right, up, hover above them with the cursor, then TMS up without consistent results. What am I missing?

- In the F-14 there's a PAL mode, when the cursor scans the area in front of the plane and locks the first target within 10-15 miles. Is there anything similar? I mean 15 miles is too far for the dogfight mode, but too close to fiddle with the radar and lock.

- Dogfight switch forward: it selects the missile with the longest range, but then what? How do I lock the target in this mode?

Thanks in advance!

Hollow red triangles on the radar are datalink contacts from the AWACS and not detected by your radar, which is why you can't lock them. They're either too far away or outside your radar scan volume. 

In Missile override mode the radar works the same way as in A/A mode. In practice it sounds like real Viper pilots rarely use the normal A/A master mode, and usually use the override modes depending on the range of the engagement. 

• Like 2

In missile over ride(DGFT FWD), you lock targets like normal.

The full triangles are locked using TMS up.  However, one thing to note about the 16 radar.  It's not as powerful as the 18 radar or other similar aircraft.  Small fighter aircraft are harder to lock at longer distances.  Your best bet for getting locks with the 16 is within 40 miles.  You can do longer on larger targets like bombers.

As for the 14 PAL mode, the 16 has no such mode.   DGFT is the only mode similar and it's 10 miles or closer.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra, 64GB G. Skill Ripjaws@3200, CoolerMaster ML360 AIO, Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, WD 2TB Black HDD, Asus GTX 1080FE, CoolerMaster C700M Case, Logitech G815 Kb, Logitech G903 Mouse, G13 Gamepad, Z906 500w 5.1 surround speakers, Track IR /w Trackclip pro, TM Cougar MFDS, Warthog Stick on Virpil Warbird Base/Throttle, MFG Crosswinds, 3 x AOC 27" curved 1440p monitors @ 7680 x 1440 resolution, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, Reflected said:

Thanks! So DF switch forward, then I still need to lock them the usual way?

Also, if the hollow red triangles become full, how do I lock them then?

Tms up will lock a target (soft lock, then hard lock on the second press). In TWS mode, tms up will bug target under cursor, tms right will step through system tracks.

Targets must be filled with a brick to lock it, otherwise hollow targets on radar are datalink indications only.

• Like 1

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Something else you can consider is filtering the contacts on the FCR.  If you look at the F-16 manual, page 156:

Radar Display Filtering

Track symbols displayed on the FCR page may be filtered using the UHF/VHF Transmit switch. This affects tracks displayed on the radar display only and does not affect those displayed on the HSD.

Positioning the switch inboard short (less than .5 sec) rotates between three filter options
ALL. All symbols are displayed
FTR+. Surveillance tracks are removed
TGTS. Surveillance and PPLI tracks are removed.

Positioning the switch outboard short (less than .5 sec) selects NONE and removes all datalink tracks. Selecting outboard short again returns to the previously selected filter option.
The current option is displayed at the bottom left of the radar display.

So basically, if for example, you have the HSD on the right MFD, which will show donor contacts from the data link, on your left MFD you can then filter out contacts on your FCR that are from donors (which you can't lock until they are picked up by your radar!), just showing aircraft that your radar is picking up (i.e. it would show TGTS in the lower left corner, instead of ALL or FTR+).

This way, with the TGTS filter on, any targets that show on your FCR are lockable, since they are returns from your radar.

Edited by 609_Relentov

Hi.

2 things.

a: Keep in mind that the TWS radar mode needs at least two passes over a target (if I recall it right) to create a file, so you can TMS rgt to start bugging targtets afer a few passes. Too early TMS rgt will do nothing. I recommend that ,if possible, narrow the scan azimuth in order to expedite the radar scan.

b: For close enough combats, less than 10 Nm, do Dogfight override aft, and the radar will auto lock, according to the DF mode selected.

Cheers.

Saca111

Thanks all, much appreciated! Now just 2 more questions remain:

In DF aft mode, is there a way to select AMRAAMs without fiddling with the MFD?

I'm having a problem with Mavericks in PRE mode.

- Maverick is ready.

- Pre mode selected

- Auto selected

- I lock up the target on the TGP

- I'm still getting a "T" not a "C".

- TMS aft, then forward, lock up again

- same result

Screen_210107_113950.png

28 minutes ago, Reflected said:

Thanks all, much appreciated! Now just 2 more questions remain:

I'm having a problem with Mavericks in PRE mode.

- Maverick is ready.

- Pre mode selected

- Auto selected

- I lock up the target on the TGP

- I'm still getting a "T" not a "C".

- TMS aft, then forward, lock up again

- same result

Screen_210107_113950.png

Hi,

According the RL manual, automatic hand-off of a TGP tracked target to an AGM-65H/K/L is not supported (only possible for IR Mavericks).

This is correct simulated in DCS F-16CM.

You should use TGP MAN mode, select the target with TGP, switch SOI to WPN page and TMS up to lock on target.

Best regards,

falconbr

• Like 1

Missile Step Button when held long will switch weapons in any mode.

• Like 2

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD