WWII Axis Naval Assets

Hawkeye60

• 2 months later...

Thes mods look fantastic, thank you very much for your effort Hawkeye 60 and Markindel!

Some things I noticed in the Yamato while creating epic battles between the Iowa and the Yamato class battleships: 

1. The Yamato class has lower life value than the Fletcher destroyers making it extremely underpowered => fixed that by changing GT.life to 6000

2. The Yamato only achieved 14 kn, which is too slow => fixed by changing GT.max_velocity to 13 and GT.race_velocity to 12

3. Only the large guns are firing => unable to fix, related to the next point

4. In the weapon system subsection of Yamato.lua there are 5 main turrets, but they are all classified as beeing SK_C_28 cannons, which refers to the secondary 150mm batteries. I believe the annotation of the turrets is still the same as in the Fletcher destroyers that served as template. Because of that, the large guns fire at a crazy rate of 7.5 rounds per minute, and even though 3 rounds are fired, there is only 1 muzzle flash at the position where the Fletcher's single barrel would be. 

I was unable to change the classification to SK_C_34 in the lua, this just prevents the ship from firing. I suppose the issue lies deeper within the .edm files, which is way above my skill level to mess with. 

I did, however, a dirty workaround, in which I reduced the firing rate of the SK_C_28 cannons to better resemble 18 inch guns. 

If someone is interested, I attached the modified Yamato.lua and Musashi.lua. 

Be sure to create a copy of the original lua files in an other directory if there would by any problems.

These mods are creative property of Hawkeye60 and Markindel.

I hope that you guys don't mind me messing with them. 

bb_Yamato.lua bb_musashi.lua

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

what is this ? there is nothing in the quotations? GT.visual.shape_dstr = "" from iowa lua

so i set deck level to half of the height of the iowa lets see what that does.

i am not going to mess with the visual shape until i am told what to do with it. it is better to be safe then sorry 

if i am able to fix this i will post the iowa lua and the ones i have edited to fix the problem 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks @Hawkeye60 for your collaboration with the Grim Reapers. Their YouTube videos featuring your ships are excellent.

The light cruiser in the IJN selection of ships is a beautiful model.

Do you have plans to release it in the near future?

Best regards and thanks for your amazing work

Edited by MikeVNE

The light cruiser in the IJN selection of ships is a beautiful model.

Good eyes!

Yes. and much more!

I have been trying to create damage models for ships,

But it is not a easy or fast task.

I may release them as is.

I will not feel too bad.

I find there are very few, if any user made mods which have a real damage model. Even the A-4, and Herc.

And they had teams!

Watch for a new IJN thread very soon.

My "October Surprise"

Thanks all for the kind words.

It encourages me to continue on.

"Adapt, and overcome"

Edited by Hawkeye60
  • Like 3

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

On 10/27/2021 at 8:19 PM, Hawkeye60 said:

Watch for a new IJN thread very soon.

My "October Surprise"

That's great news Hawkeye

I and most of the Pacific Theatre community I'm sure would be happy with less than perfect damage models. It would be great to get the ships out there in the game so that testing and evaluation in missions can begin, and only 2 days left until the end of October :clap_2:

• 4 weeks later...

Is there definitive/accurate info on what currently works in 2.7 regarding any of the WW2 naval assets? 

None of this is working for me and causes real problems. I can fully recover but in some cases they will even prevent DCS from starting.

Been doing DCS for years - I know what I am doing in terms of proper install etc etc. 

Love this stuff - hope it gets upgraded - Axis and Allied - ALL.

CHEERS !!! AND THANKS TO THE MOD MAKERS !!!!

ELVIS

• Like 1

None of this is working for me and causes real problems. I can fully recover but in some cases they will even prevent DCS from starting.

Which ships do not work for you?

Are you placing them in the saved games location?

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Thanks! This is a known issue.

I had it firing torps!

Then ED took them away.....🙁

So it now will crash DCS.

I do have a up-dated mod. I guess I should post it!

Sorry, been working on the Japan aircraft, pacific fleet.

Please add your voice to my request to free the torps!

Here!

Thanks again, I will get the new ship out this weekend!

• Like 3

First post up-dated!

Z-39 has been repaired and is ready for sea trials!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

The new added link, near the top of the post, is ONLY for the Z-39.

All others are un-changed.

If you download the whole pack, just delete the Z-39 and use the single new mod link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It amazes me the work that Hawkeye constantly puts in (with the likes of Markindle, Cuesta Bro, SUNTSAG etc)

Not only constantly bring new models but constantly updating code to work with new official updates, that break it.

Don't get me wrong, ED has the right to run his own game the way he wants & at least allows some modding.

But with a handful of WWII aircraft & ships, DCS WWII would not function - if not for the WWII Mod community.

I count close on 30 Mod aircraft & 50 ships that I use to cover where DCS does not have official assets.

So if I have not said thank you enough already, Hawkeye - please accept thanks from me & I'm sure the rest of the WWII community for all the amazing & tireless work you & the rest of the Mod community do for us - FOR FREE!

Much appreciated 👍👏

• Like 3

ggrewe I do appreciate the comments!

kolpakov_79  The same!

It encourages me to continue on!

Stay tuned, I have much more in the works. Trying to finish up the Japan aircraft pack...

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

The DKM squadron has disappeared from ME 😟

With the “Norwegian Fjords” now in DCS (S Atlantic), I really want to get these ships back in to the game - especially Tirpitz and Scharnhorst 

As a bit of disc management I temporarily removed all of my Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Tech folders (and Mods\Aircraft)

now with more space, I’ve copied the folders back, but some mods work, most don’t…

stand-alone Z-39 works, none of the DKM squadron pack does… I have the Dido cruiser and Flower corvette, but pretty much no other WW2 naval mods 😢

Any thoughts? Have re-downloaded etc…

All seems a bit random as some work, some dont

(these assets are way too good not to use, especially with the new SA map - a big thank you to @Hawkeye60

Edited by rkk01

OK - fixed… anything I had loaded before wasn’t being recognised. Activating “Scharnhorst” in the installed tab brought the whole squadron back

anyway, here’s why;

26A99865-985B-4E53-8C5F-AEB3164156A7.png
“Lonely Queen of the North”

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 3:48 AM, Night Owl said:

Thes mods look fantastic, thank you very much for your effort Hawkeye 60 and Markindel!

Some things I noticed in the Yamato while creating epic battles between the Iowa and the Yamato class battleships: 

1. The Yamato class has lower life value than the Fletcher destroyers making it extremely underpowered => fixed that by changing GT.life to 6000

2. The Yamato only achieved 14 kn, which is too slow => fixed by changing GT.max_velocity to 13 and GT.race_velocity to 12

4. In the weapon system subsection of Yamato.lua there are 5 main turrets, but they are all classified as beeing SK_C_28 cannons, which refers to the secondary 150mm batteries. I believe the annotation of the turrets is still the same as in the Fletcher destroyers that served as template. Because of that, the large guns fire at a crazy rate of 7.5 rounds per minute, and even though 3 rounds are fired, there is only 1 muzzle flash at the position where the Fletcher's single barrel would be. 

I was unable to change the classification to SK_C_34 in the lua, this just prevents the ship from firing. I suppose the issue lies deeper within the .edm files, which is way above my skill level to mess with. 

I did, however, a dirty workaround, in which I reduced the firing rate of the SK_C_28 cannons to better resemble 18 inch guns. 

Be sure to create a copy of the original lua files in an other directory if there would by any problems.

bb_Yamato.lua 24.38 kB · 54 downloads bb_musashi.lua 23.45 kB · 43 downloads

The ship lacks all the weapon definitions for the weapons the ship has. For instance, the superimposed 15.5cm turrets don't fire anything.

Defining weapons in the lua doesn't rely on the model, but it *does* rely on the model for those weapons appearing from anywhere that makes sense.

The model lacks rotation and elevation arguments for pretty much all the secondary batteries, including the two superimposed 15.5cm turrets. It also lacks center connectors for those batteries, plus muzzle connectors for a lot of things including the main 18" gun batteries; one turret has only two connectors for the three barrels, and another has only one connector. the rear turret has *no* connectors for the barrels.

Or, specifically, many of these connectors exist but are not attached to parts of the model. Instead, they're buried in the model body (see image).

It would be nice if all those AA guns and the secondary batteries had proper arguments for movement, and if all the connectors were appropriately added for turret rotation center and barrel fire locations. Bonus for recoil animations. A lot of the 2.5cm guns would probably have to share the same rotation arguments to avoid needing to put in code for all 100+ guns.

I'm currently seeing if I can't properly add in the 46cm main guns and 12.7cm guns.

all the connectors.JPG

Edited by Xeno426
Added info on mass of connectors
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 3:48 AM, Night Owl said:

bb_Yamato.lua 24.38 kB · 56 downloads bb_musashi.lua 23.45 kB · 45 downloads

I've modified the ships to have the full complement of weapons that are represented on the model, including the correct gun (it'll take out carriers in a couple shots). However, most of the shots will appear from the center of the ship or the center of the turret because there's not enough animation arguments and connectors for all the weapons. Whoever has access to the model could potentially add them in; I've added comments describing the naming convention the LUA is using along with the expected ranges of the numbers on connector names to facilitate this.

I had to change the entry file to change load order so things worked right.

bb_musashi.lua bb_Yamato.lua bb_Yamato_Ammo.lua entry.lua

• Thanks 3

rkk01

OK - fixed… anything I had loaded before wasn’t being recognised. Activating “Scharnhorst” in the installed tab brought the whole squadron back

anyway, here’s why;

Can do bombing the Tirpiz in the Fjords and Operation Rheinübung with Bismark & Prinz Eugen at Trondheim

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett