Greatest news by far!

Vekkinho

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stratos, you can make whatever you like, I think.

@the rest of you, if you don't DL his mod, he can't play it with you online. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hmm... well that's good anyway. Personally I'd hate to wade through tons of mods and "garbage" to find good missions and campaigns with only original hi-def vehicles. I guess my purism shouldn't get in the way of creativity though... but I can't help but feel that somehow it will not be great for DCS.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

I'd also like high quality addons but if the learning curve is to steep, only few people will master creating addons at all. If people like Stratus would get a chance to start at a lower quality and thus can lern and improve gradually, chances might be higher than more high quality addons will be made in the end.

IMHO requeiring the same quality as DCS build in aircraft might even scare away commercial addon maker, because the risk and work put into an addon could be far greater than compareable addons (like MSFS) and the community (thus market) is even smaller (maybe? dunno ;))

----

Thinking about it again it might make perfectly sense to not sell those addons seperatly but directly through Eagle Dynamics (as I understand the intension of 3rd party anouncement)

Edited by ThunderChief

@the rest of you, if you don't DL his mod, he can't play it with you online. :)

Don't you think thats kinda a usability issue? Any one who has been on hyperlobby have probably seen a new player waltz in, can't join a game and is completely clueless about flamming cliffs or the latest patch. Just think if extra flyables are thrown into the areana. If you host a popular dedicated server which runs flyable mods on it, then you'll have to have a 24/7 tech support guy sitting in the lobby.

However, if I recall, I saw something stating that as the DCS:ED aircraft get released every package won't be required for purchase to fly online and aircraft will simply be locked out. Would a similar ability be built in for 3rd party mods?

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I don't know how the mechanism for all this is going to work. I'd say this is really a question for the future - specifically after the SDK's are released.

It may be that ED will prefer to start with a core of dedicated developers - who knows.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Projects like the US Navy one have a Real chance at great success once these tools come out.

The strength is in the community, and ED clearly recognise this.

This is exactly what we would all like to see but it still is up in the air whether this will be allowed or not. Unless I've misunderstood the announcement.

I can understand ED wanting to quality control payware addons but why freeware ones? Let the community decide whether the new addon is worth downloading or not. This is how it works with M$FS, ArmA and many other successful games/sims.

How is this going to work in real terms anyway? Are freeware designers going to have to contact ED with plans of their project becasue who wants to spend a year developing something that ED had no intention of allowing into the sim in the first place. If so then that's going to be a lot of work for ED isn't it? I mean agreeing, testing and getting updates etc may take considerable resources depending on the amount of applications they get, which is most likely to be a shed load if lockon files is anything to go by. And would they allow something like an F18 or F14 seeing as we know the documentation doesn't exist unless you have eyes only clearance :P .

Although this is a huge step in the right direction I'd like to see more details regarding the addition of addons especially freeware additions where it looks as though ED will be releasing each one with a Russian roulette warning of try at your own risk.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Hopefully they will set it up so there are no conflicts of interest---I'm recalling the Silent Hunter IV scenario where different teams are working on the same stuff--and sort of competing. Not that competition is a bad thing--just that everyone is on the same page working towards the same goal.

/me waits for the now inevitable "patch dance" and multiplayer incompatibility...

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

If you re-read to announcement, you'll see this explaination at the bottom:

Content created with these tools may be released in one of three ways:

1. Content that meets Eagle Dynamics quality standards may be directly integrated into the later DCS software packages. This will allow a consistent level of quality.

2. Content may be released at no cost to consumers as unofficial add-ons. Such content will be “player beware” in regards to quality.

3. Content generated for DCS using Eagle plug-ins may be released as official pay-ware DCS add-ons but a small royalty payment to Eagle Dynamics would be required to help finance the development of additional 3rd party tools.

This means that you will be able to release freeware mods as you like with no interaction with ED as far as I can tell (point 2 above).

The ONLY module with definite restrictions on it is the Terrain tool, the rest looks open for all kinds of use.

Royalties for Payware

DCS integration for the cream of the crop

Free ware for all

• Like 1

If you re-read to announcement, you'll see this explaination at the bottom:

This means that you will be able to release freeware mods as you like with no interaction with ED as far as I can tell (point 2 above).

The ONLY module with definite restrictions on it is the Terrain tool, the rest looks open for all kinds of use.

Royalties for Payware

DCS integration for the cream of the crop

Free ware for all

Point 2 suggests to me that even with freeware addons ED might still release them. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by Cosmonaut

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

It makes most sense to me if interpreted as a protection if a 3rd party addon is released as an offical part of DCS, in the way that a developer cannot restrict the usage of his addon once it is officaly a part of DCS, and work had been invested by ED to integrate it.

Sounds like the 'up front' agreement ... I don't think DCS would want to irk developers by doing such a thing, and if they intended to incorporate your addon, it's quite possible you'd be able to work out a deal - perhaps even ahead of time.

So if I were a dev with the ability to create quality content and I want to sell it and pay royalties, ED will still reserve the right to use it independently and let`s say release it for free or incorporate it into DCS (with or without a compensation)? Sounds like shared property, and I don't think any professional dev would sign such an agreement, hence I doubt if this is a correct interpretation of that statement.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds like the 'up front' agreement ... I don't think DCS would want to irk developers by doing such a thing, and if they intended to incorporate your addon, it's quite possible you'd be able to work out a deal - perhaps even ahead of time.

Well one thing that does grab my interest. It does open up 3rd parties to make add-ons like we see in MSFS. And that would be real nice to see.

That is the idea - since ED couldn't possibly model every aircraft out there :)

Some people will want a flyable tanker, or an older plane like a MiG-21 or Jaguar, or something that is simply 'not in the books' at this time.

This way the DCS collection of aircraft can expand without having to wait for ED - provided that there are of course, competent developers churning those out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am thinking about a CSAR addon. If you get shot down, you have to hide from enemy troops and wait for your rescue.

watch the movie "Behind Enemy Lines"

we want that. :music_whistling:

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum