HOW CYCLIC OPS REALLY WORKS !!! by GB and Pieter

Pieterras

After great feedback from many about the Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS, where I tried to communicate real life experience from a good friend to the community, It got time for some of the advanced squadrons to learn a bit more about CYCLIC OPS. 

Whilst many enjoy the aspect of talking on the radio, nothing is more rewarding that conducting CYCLIC OPS, whilst ZIP-LIP.
Therefore it is of utmost important to understand all the basics of how a carrier is run during CYCLIC OPS and how certain procedures should be flown. 

What can I commence? Where do I descent? Who goes First? What speed do I fly? What if I am late or what if I am early ? Many of those questions are answered in the following document that again I could not have created without help of a good friend "GB".

The setup is a little different as it specifically focusses on Cyclic Ops, and will all be implemented in the next version the Carrier Operating Procedures. 

Cyclic Ops: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gCUyoDQ-DGGBCFEOvgpER9L1w7hc0TT5/view?usp=sharing

Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hShIyjq1Cf8MQSAcwk5k1IhSMdvqpUok/view?usp=sharing

I hope you guys enjoy and I would appreciate some feedback. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 16

Thank you chaps; these guides are very much appreciated, kudos!

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

2 minutes ago, joker62 said:

SIR, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Your guides are always a point of reference. Thanks again for making and sharing them.

Antonio.

You are very welcome,, the next update will be in a WIKIPEDIA style format so I do not have to do massive updates and can just keep adding to it ... it will also keep it in 1 place so people will always have the latest info 

• Thanks 1

For who loves the Cyclic Ops, please give this video some credit and even more great videos are available on GB's you tube channel: 
https://www.youtube.com/c/HornetVids/featured

Fingers Crossed ED will create some opportunity in the future for us to use the Supercarrier both Cyclic and CQ. Allowing us to chose whether we will operate CQ or Cyclic instead of a mix of both... 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Pieterras said:

You are very welcome,, the next update will be in a WIKIPEDIA style format so I do not have to do massive updates and can just keep adding to it ... it will also keep it in 1 place so people will always have the latest info 

Well, I've already read the whole Cyclic Ops guide. I had already studied your Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS guide and I recommend reading it first, then moving on to the Cyclic Ops guide, which I think is an excellent complement.

some feedbacks:

- the example in the "Fuel Ladder" section is very good.

- in the "Execution of the Airplan" section you have allowed us to participate and be involved in the planning context. Thanks.

- the diagrams / illustrations of "The pattern from above" section are very useful.

For some time I had already prepared my own Cyclic Ops based on the Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS guide, and with your last guide I had the satisfaction of having correctly understood much of the planning and mission, even with the limitations of DCS. Let's really hope that ED can give us the chance to fly CQ and Cyclic Ops.

And thanks for the video 👍

Antonio

• Thanks 1

Thank you!

outstanding work and thank you for sharing.

Keep up!

Best regards,

Fagulha.

• Thanks 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 1 month later...

Quick question about the fuel ladder. Where does the 1200 lbs per 15 mins come from? I understand it's based on max endurance speed but at what altitude and what drag index? Is it based on a basic drag index or actual load out?

@Bbow Sorry for taking so long in replying. The simple reason was that I had a good idea but wanted to check with some of the real deal. 

As you can imagine it would be hugely complicated to adjust every jet for every config, weight and height equally then your ladder would only work if you fly airline style and stick to a certain climb profile, flight plan and descent profile. Making the whole idea of the ladder fall apart. 

So to answer you question it is based on; typical fuel flows for most configs and weights is around 24 pph a side at Max E. That’s equal to 12 every 15 minutes.

It doesn’t really work in DCS as the numbers seems to creep up to 1600lbs/15 min. But irl 1200 was used on the legacy and the idea doesn’t change. 

hope that answers your question boss:) don’t look into it too much 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Looking at the example on page 7 of the cyclic ops article, if event 2 cycle is 1+0 and starts at 1100, does the cycle end as soon as the aircraft returning from event 1 land?  What if they are late or bolter and the time is now 1215?  Since event 3 is scheduled for 1200, does that mean they will delay event 3 to 1215?  Or will it overlap with event 3 since the carrier deck physically allows for landings and launches to occur simultaneously?

Also in the example on page 6, if event 1 is at 1100 and it is 1+15 cycle, that means it ends are 1215.  But if you are landing at 1230 like in that example, then you are actually landing after event 2 begins (if there is an event 2)--so again, is there overlap?

Thanks,

v6,

boNes

• Like 1

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2024 at 2:13 PM, bonesvf103 said:

Looking at the example on page 7 of the cyclic ops article, if event 2 cycle is 1+0 and starts at 1100, does the cycle end as soon as the aircraft returning from event 1 land?  What if they are late or bolter and the time is now 1215?  Since event 3 is scheduled for 1200, does that mean they will delay event 3 to 1215?  Or will it overlap with event 3 since the carrier deck physically allows for landings and launches to occur simultaneously?

Also in the example on page 6, if event 1 is at 1100 and it is 1+15 cycle, that means it ends are 1215.  But if you are landing at 1230 like in that example, then you are actually landing after event 2 begins (if there is an event 2)--so again, is there overlap?

Thanks,

v6,

boNes

For example:

Event 1: 1000-1100
Event 2: 1100-1200

Event 1 aircraft launch at 1000.
Event 2 aircraft begin launching at 1100 and event 1 aircraft begin recovering as soon as the waist is wrapped, this might be for example at 1105 (event 2 may still be in the process of launching off the bow), and event 1 aircraft finish recovering at lets say 1115.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Thanks.  OK so there is a sort of overlap.  Seems that events are triggered by launches and recoveries can be anytime during the event regardless of what event recovering aircraft started from.  What does it mean exactly to wrap the waist?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

On 5/23/2024 at 10:20 AM, bonesvf103 said:

Thanks.  OK so there is a sort of overlap.  Seems that events are triggered by launches and recoveries can be anytime during the event regardless of what event recovering aircraft started from.  What does it mean exactly to wrap the waist?

v6,

boNes

A recovery happens at the end of your event, e.g. if event 1 is 1000-1100 they would begin recovery at 1100, but they are not allowed to break the deck until the waist is wrapped, in general this means there are no aircraft launching off of the waist (catapults 3 & 4) if there was no launch scheduled in event 2 then event 1 could recover immediately at 1100, otherwise they'd need to wait for the waist to be wrapped.

You don't recover "any time" during an event, you recover at the end of the event you launched in.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Thanks.  But to clarify, if event 1 in your example is from 1000-1100, then event 1 ends at 1100.  So if event 2 starts at 1100, and event 1 aircraft wait for the waist to be wrapped and then land by 1115, well that's after 1100 when event 1 ended and event 2 began.  So how can you recover at the end of the event you launched in if it was over at 1100 and you landed at 1115?

v6,

boNes

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 12:49 PM, bonesvf103 said:

Thanks.  But to clarify, if event 1 in your example is from 1000-1100, then event 1 ends at 1100.  So if event 2 starts at 1100, and event 1 aircraft wait for the waist to be wrapped and then land by 1115, well that's after 1100 when event 1 ended and event 2 began.  So how can you recover at the end of the event you launched in if it was over at 1100 and you landed at 1115?

v6,

boNes

Thats just how it works, your event is from X to Y. At X you start launching, and at Y you start recovering.

If there was no launch happening you could be in the groove ("breaking the deck") at exactly Y, e.g. exactly at 1100 if it was 1000-1100, otherwise you need to wait for the waist to be wrapped first.

Edited by MARLAN_

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Thanks.  Ok, so said aircraft that launched in event 1 and traps at 1115--is he said to have trapped in event 1 or in event 2?

v6,

boNes