F/A-18C Laser Guided Bombs not working

LilUziBert_33
Go to solution Solved by Harker,

I've been at this for hours trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong. I got the F-18 yesterday and have been learning it. I wanted to do some laser guided bomb practice, but there is no training so I had to create my own simple mission. My problem is, when I try to select the bomb in the stores page, usually a gbu-12, it has an x over it and won't let me set it up to be able to use it. I have the master arm on, a/g mode selected, but it just refuses to allow me to use them. There is also no mfuz option on the side to make sure that I turn that to OFF either. This is very frustrating.

@LilUziBert_33 - try Chuck's guide page 334 CHUCK’S GUIDES – DCS F/A-18C HORNET

16 minutes ago, LilUziBert_33 said:

This is very frustrating.

and welcome to the forums and DCS lol. you are among friends

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Just now, LilUziBert_33 said:

I have the flir pod in store 5, with 2 gbu-12. I want to do auto mode, but the same problem happens with any mode

Sorry chap - i meant how have you set up the weapon itself? Your GBU-12's all set up correctly?

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Laser code entered for the pylon? Laser armed? Within appropriate parameters for the drop?

There's lots of variables.

You may benefit from posting up a video or track for others to examine.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Lots of guides to using laser designation on Youtube. You will find it very helpful to search something like, "DCS F18 GBU12' or "DCS F18 Laser designation" or "DCS F18 TPOD". A video will be much easier showing you in a minute to see what step you may be accidentally overlooking - I have found them very helpful at times myself.

Good luck and happy flying

Edited by Oozler

If by setup correctly you mean mfuze off and I have efuze on instant then yes. 
You also need to set up the laser code, using the CODE option that presents itself in the STORES page, when you select appropriate weapons.

If you press it, the UFC will then show CODE. You select that option, put in the correct 4-digit code and press enter. You need to do this for each station.

Valid codes are:
1st digit: 1
2nd digit: 5,6,7
3rd and 4th digits: 1-8

If you want to use your own TPOD to lase, then you need to match the codes of the TPOD and the bombs. The default TPOD code is 1688. FYI, you can only arm the TPOD laser when you're in A/G mode.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

5 minutes ago, garyscott said:

Laser code entered for the pylon? Laser armed? Within appropriate parameters for the drop?

There's lots of variables.

You may benefit from posting up a video or track for others to examine.

What parameters do I need to be within? That could be the issue. When I try to enter laser code I get an error message on UFC. Laser armed

3 minutes ago, LilUziBert_33 said:

What parameters do I need to be within? That could be the issue. When I try to enter laser code I get an error message on UFC. Laser armed

That is your issue then . . . . HARKER (above) has the gen.

36 minutes ago, LilUziBert_33 said:

I’ve tried that, and i match the code (default 1688) and get an error message every time 

Have you followed Harkers description to the letter? No disrespect - but i suspect operator error here.

I've just tried with mine - no issue.

If it cannot be resolved 'may' have to go through a repair?

20 hours ago, Harker said:

1. Select CODE on the STORES page.
2. Select CODE on the UFC (it needs to become colonized). That's what a lot of folks miss.
3. Type the code.
4. Press Enter.

You should see the XXXX below the bombs on the STORES page, change to the code you entered.

THANK YOU. That was the step I was missing, I would try to put in the code without pressing it on the ufc. You are a life saver. Thank you everyone so much for your prompt and helpful responses

• Like 1

THANK YOU. That was the step I was missing, I would try to put in the code without pressing it on the ufc. You are a life saver. Thank you everyone so much for your prompt and helpful responses
Happy to help!

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 1 month later...

May I add a relevant question, instead of creating new topic?

The laser code retention time seems essentially 0, once having deployed each LG weapon......... do you have to reenter the laser code after each use; is there a way to have a fixed automatic default code throughout flight?

I have been flying a lot lately w/ laser Mavs and a JTAC. I set up all 4 Mavs w/ their codes early on and they stay until the Mav is fired. I don't have this down by weapon, but I have noticed that w/ some weapons there is a button on the weapon page for code, and there is always a button on the UFC for code. If there is a 'code' button on the weapon page push it and then also the 'code' button on the ufc. Also don't forget to push 'enter' right after you push the fourth number button. One other point, don't forget after entering code for the first weapon, go back to the weapon page and 'step' to the next weapon on the wing form diagram and repeat the process.

15 hours ago, salsantana said:

May I add a relevant question, instead of creating new topic?

The laser code retention time seems essentially 0, once having deployed each LG weapon......... do you have to reenter the laser code after each use; is there a way to have a fixed automatic default code throughout flight?

You need to enter the laser code for each weapon on different pylons.   If there are two lgb on a single rack, then that code is set for both, but if they are on different pylons, you need to enter the code for each weapon by cycling through them

System: Ryzen 5900x, G.Skill 3600 32GB, MSI 4090 suprim liquid X, samsung odyssey+ headset