Hi guys, 

I am new to the DCS as player but I been observing what is happening in DCS for a while.

So, I installed F16C and at the moment I am going through training missions. All of this is clear to me, but when I go to mission editor, I create just target practice mission so I can practice all routines to engage in BVR fight.

This is where I noticed problems, I created firstly 2 MIG 21 and I tried to engage them in BVR. However, my radar couldn't find any targets until I approached at about 15 NM, when is too late to engage 2 MIG's.

So to explore more, I modified mission so I start at 40000 feet, with 2 MIG's dead ahead at 80 NM and 30000 feet, and still my radar couldn't find target in RWS mode, I tried to swap to TWS mode but still nothing, same, when I came closer to about 12 NM I had target found on radar.

Just to be sure I tied another mission where I put bigger target, AN 22 same story. 

I tried with AWACS on my side, and I can see target on the radar but I cannot do any thing with it again until I came very close.

This is only doing in mission editor. When I go to instant action, and select free flight, I can scan everything as it should.

Am I doing something wrong here?? I watched many Youtube videos on that subject, and I cannot see that I am doing something wrong.

Cheers...

• ED Team

Hi

Welcome to the forum, 

with bug reports we usually ask for a track replay, this can be saved after you exit a mission during the debrief screen.

Please make the track replay as short as possible to show the issues and we will all take a look. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

32 minutes ago, razo+r said:

What about your radar range scale, antenna elevation, azimuth coverage and amount of scan bars?

Well, I checked all of those, I even had one mission where I was flying at same altitude with target I think it was 30000 feet and I tried to adjust azimuth, elevation, changed TWS and RWS and still I didn't saw target.....

27 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi

Welcome to the forum, 

with bug reports we usually ask for a track replay, this can be saved after you exit a mission during the debrief screen.

Please make the track replay as short as possible to show the issues and we will all take a look. 

thank you

I will do those ASAP and post it here.....

Ok, I have mission with MIG 29 as target, I started at approx 35000 feet, while MIG was at 25000 feet. We started at 50 NM out. 

Even when I knew where to look, I couldn't get my radar to find MIG until I descent to 25000 feet and came close to more or less 15 NM. Based on various tutorials, I should see MIG sooner than that.

By the time I shoot my first AMRAAM I was basically WVR.....

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong here.

radar track mig 29.trk

detection ranges are a lot better for targets flying directly at you compared to targets flying away from you

15nm for a target flying directly away does not seem too unusual.

whether this range is accurate to real life, I'm not qualified to say.

Hi. I jave seen your track, and theMIG is flying away from you, so the detection range would decrease, maybe considerably compared to when it is flying towards you. Try a newe mission with easy tergets flying your way and at same altitude and check if it stills doing nothing.

Your radar settings where ok; antena and azimuth correctly set, range also ok. Only think is the aspect of the target. As  ice41 said, I can't tell if it is acurate or not.

Saludos.

Saca111

9 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hi. I jave seen your track, and theMIG is flying away from you, so the detection range would decrease, maybe considerably compared to when it is flying towards you. Try a newe mission with easy tergets flying your way and at same altitude and check if it stills doing nothing.

Your radar settings where ok; antena and azimuth correctly set, range also ok. Only think is the aspect of the target. As  ice41 said, I can't tell if it is acurate or not.

Saludos.

Saca111

Ok, will do....

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 9:53 PM, Sacarino111 said:

Saludos.

Saca111

Afaik the AN/APG-68(5) currently modelled has no support for switching of PRF (big oof) .. so you end up losing targets that fly away from you at 20nm sharp at the latest .. This doesn't seem to be correct, so let's hope it get's fixed at some point in time.

• Thanks 1

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

• 2 weeks later...