Turbulence in Clouds

I’ve just finished reading ‘Strike Eagle: the story of the F-15E in the Gulf War’ and there are numerous chapters where they make reference to the poor weather and thunderstorms and the buffeting they got within big cloud systems. It would be fantastic to see that implemented in DCS.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

In addition, on maps like Nevada and Syria, basically every sandy map, ground dust can travel extreme distances and heights. I suspect a real F15 pilot wouldn't fly ultra low for extended periods of time since sand isn't the kind of "ingredient" you're willingly adding to the jet engine. Having said that, a windy environment should also stir up some ground dust into the air.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2021 at 2:53 AM, Shrike88 said:

Greetings.  More of a feature request and sort of a missing / required feature.  

There is no turbulence associated with clouds currently, Hopefully in the future we will see depending on cloud type and thickness.  This should hopefully be easy to produce as we can use the current Wake turbulence model and implement it into the corresponding positions of the clouds. 

Very very rarely clouds that I have flown in are smooth.  At least a little light bump or two is associated with the smoother ones, and increasing in severity.

Just a request hope to see soon.

Thanks

Shrike

I recently read that wake turbulence is actually very CPU intensive, and should be disabled in missions where there are a lot of aircraft. So applying the same algorithm to clouds might cause a huge performance impact. Besides, flying through clouds IRL often has no impact on the outside airflow whatsoever - I often feel no bumps or movement when passing through a cloud layer in a light aircraft when flying in the real world. On the other hand, I do think there should definitely be turbulence in cloud types that are associated with it IRL. The fact that clouds don't impact the handling at all, ever, is a bit of a bummer. Imagine how cool it would be to have to avoid storm cells due to severe updraughts, or actually have to worry more about icing when passing through clouds?

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

On 6/3/2021 at 9:06 AM, GunSlingerAUS said:

I recently read that wake turbulence is actually very CPU intensive, and should be disabled in missions where there are a lot of aircraft. So applying the same algorithm to clouds might cause a huge performance impact. Besides, flying through clouds IRL often has no impact on the outside airflow whatsoever - I often feel no bumps or movement when passing through a cloud layer in a light aircraft when flying in the real world. On the other hand, I do think there should definitely be turbulence in cloud types that are associated with it IRL. The fact that clouds don't impact the handling at all, ever, is a bit of a bummer. Imagine how cool it would be to have to avoid storm cells due to severe updraughts, or actually have to worry more about icing when passing through clouds?

I use a Simshaker JetSeat when i fly inside some clouds i get turbulence and feel it. I only notice on first time i used the Jetseat though. I read sometime ago about wake turbulence can be cpu intensive but it's a must to me. Going to try with it off to see the difference on my rig.

Best regards.

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I haven’t taken the time to test it but I swear I’ve experienced up and downdrafts when using overcast and rain 3. I’ll be flying along trimmed nice and level, enter a heavy cloud and suddenly be gaining or losing altitude. Not turbulence per se but.,,

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.