The Big Show - Channel map update

With 2.7 I released a free update to The Big Show campaign, originally created using the Normandy map. I selected 5 missions where both the historical airfield (Biggin Hill or Detling) and the target area can be found on the new Channel map, and recreated them from scratch. I always dreamed of flying Spitfires out of Biggin Hill, and this dream has now come true in the beautiful and realistic environment that DCS offers. I love Normandy too, but the Channel map sets the bar even higher, it's the most incredible WWII map I've ever seen in a flight sim. Anyhow, players can now choose to fly these missions using the new map, or the old one.

To fly these missions over the Channel map you need to navigate to DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\campaigns\Spitfire IX The Big Show, back up the missions and replace the original ones with the Channel version. So:

1: Back up 'The Big Show - 01.miz'

2: Rename 'The Big Show - 01_CHANNEL.miz' to 'The Big Show - 01.miz'

3: play

Or you can just open them as a single mission and play them separately.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Great news - thank you very much!

A-4E | AV-8B N/A | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-5E | F-14A&B | F1 | FC3 | M-2000C | Mosquito | P-47D | Spitfire | AH-64D | Mi-8MTV2 | Mi-24P | SA342 | UH-1H
Nevada | Normandy | Persian Gulf | Sinai | South Atlantic | Syria | The Channel | Supercarrier | NS430
i7-5820K @ 4.50GHz | 32GB DDR-4 @ 3.00GHz | 2x 1TB NVMe SSD | Asus RTX 2070S O8G
Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS | Thrustmaster TFRP pedals | TrackIR 5

That is great! Thank you!

I am in the second mission of the Anton Horrido! campaign (I love it so fare). Do you plan to update that campaign with the 2.7 clouds also. Because then I will stop my fly through and wait for the update :) 

• 1 month later...

Well,

I bought recently this mission, because, you, Reflected, are a reference in creating mission.

Must say, I was disappointed with the first mission in Normandy. Because the action is too far East and then we fly over a very ugly and untextured aera (already mentioned in another post).

But fortunatly, I have The Channel, so I changed all 5 missions. So, thanks a lot having done this.

Now, it would be nice to just update the "Normandy" ones, and change the name of the airfield by the right one. I find a bit odd to takeoff from "biggin hill" when it is Ford A.

Anyways, I can deal without it.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, dggoofy said:

Well,

I bought recently this mission, because, you, Reflected, are a reference in creating mission.

Must say, I was disappointed with the first mission in Normandy. Because the action is too far East and then we fly over a very ugly and untextured aera (already mentioned in another post).

But fortunatly, I have The Channel, so I changed all 5 missions. So, thanks a lot having done this.

Now, it would be nice to just update the "Normandy" ones, and change the name of the airfield by the right one. I find a bit odd to takeoff from "biggin hill" when it is Ford A.

Anyways, I can deal without it.

Cheers.

The real missions were flown out of Biggin. I could either call Ford Biggin, so at least the name would be correct, or call it Ford and then the location would match, but would be inaccurate. It's a compromise either way with Biggin not being on the map.

When I released the campaign that area was not so ugly. Then Ugra media updated the Normandy map with this atrocious ugly patch there. I reported it nearly 2 years ago, and I haven't heard a word from Ugra. So you're welcome to raise your concern in this thread and help me out:

• 3 months later...

Hi there great campaign by the way.

Small problem i cant get the channel map to work. Tried to do as said above but i must be doing something wrong either get a message saying file is missing or there is no campagin showing up. Can you send a screen shot of how the :

Mods.Campaigns.Spitfire IX The Big Show folder should look like.

Thanks

Ok got it :

1. Saved all the files to another folder on desktop

2. Deleted the "The Big Show - 01.miz

3. Renamed the "The Big Show - 01_Channel.miz as "The Big Show - 01.miz" 

4. Did the same process to all the rest with _Channel. 

Thanks did not know i had to delete the file first, now it works

HI, 

it seems you also can create a separate campaign file from the original one, and put it into the standard folder alongside the original campaign, and then you have two campaigns : regular and Channel version.

Looking forward to the (winter) (high altitude) new mission.

image.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.10.13 - 15.45.24.51.png 

image.png

Spitfire IX The Big ShowChannelMap.cmp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Reflected,

Can you please update the requirements for the campaign?
Specifically mention that you have to have the Channel Map in order to play with proper textures?

I know this is not your fault but the untextured areas in the Normandy map made me think that I got DCS files broken.
I was scratching my head for last 4 days, t
han I found the thread and I feel a bit ripped of to be honest.
I waited so long for Steam Halloween Sale and bought Spit + Big Show + Normandy as it was in requirements.

Now I know I should also bough the Channel but is already to late :(
Please update the requirements or at least mention that in product description that in order to play in full fidelity you need to have the Channel map.

ps: please make sure the Steam also update the DLC description. Thanks.

Edited by Rosly

The Channel map is not a requirement, it’s a free bonus.  Adding it as a requirement would be misleading. 

the Normandy map didn’t always look this ugly in some areas, not when the campaign was released. I reported it 2 years ago with no attention or reply from Ugra. You can help me open a thread or reply to mine, to pit more pressure on them. 

• 7 months later...