Mi-24p Armament

BIGNEWY

5 hours ago, bingbean said:

Is any chance we can get AT-2 MCLOS missile? 

I don't see in gunner seat any joystick for control MCLOS type of missile, so Mi-24P variant of Hind probably can't operate AT-2 MCLOS missile. Anyway, it would be fun to control them. Hitting something would probably be difficult, but all the more satisfying when you succeed.

AT-2 MCLOS variant was only used in Mi-24A. I believe CPG used a simple BRDM sight: 

The Mi-24D uses a a SACLOS/MCLOS version of AT-2. Here is a picture of the panel to show how different it is. There is only one row of switches to do everything. The whole AT-2 complex was called the 9K113 Raduga-F. When they made Mi-24V, they changed a lot of the 9K113 system to have a digital computer all the other new panel stuff you see in the Mi-24P/V/VP. This was required to change it to make it compatible with the Shturm missile, and becuase of this the new 9K113 complex for the missile was called “Raduga-S.” 

So yes, the two systems are incompatible. And the Mi-24A only has MCLOS version I believe. 

22D0A152-8946-494B-AD13-CA1AD11E4B43.jpeg

Edited by AeriaGloria
  • Like 2

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Avimimus said:

The Mil Mi-2URP-G would probably be  the best bet for MCLOS then I take it?

I suppose we could end up with the SACLOS version though - if they ever decide to do the Mi-24D (also, what of the Mi-24V - did they universally carry 9M114)?

Yes, the reason D entered service was becuase the 9K113 Shturm complex wasn’t ready. If you look at izdeliye/product numbers, the D is a bigger number/izdeliye then the V. Becuase when the A was remodeled, the V was designed first. But since 9K113 Shturm complex wasn’t ready, they had to make Mi-24D with the same weapon system as the aborted Mi-24B, which did use the AT-2 and original Raduga periscope.

Once Mi-24D started production, Soviet “introduced” Mi-24D and V into military at same time, but really only D was being made for combat then. A few years later the 9K113 Shturm is done and Mi-24V gets Raduga-Sh to guide it, and that’s how we then end up with a production line of Mi-24D that lasts until the 80s supplying export customers! 

So yes, every Mi-24V has a 9K113 Shturm Raduga-Sh set up. And the D was designed to make do with the older Falanga system. It is the primary difference between the two models. A 1980 Mi-24D and 1980 Mi-24V probably would’ve only differed In 9K113/ATGM/Raduga equipment, and the pilot having the ASP-17V and CCIP. 

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

Thank you! That is very interesting. I do rather appreciate the ASP-17V... so I might end up hoping for an Mi-24V with MDB-4 racks, PKT door guns, and maybe the UPK-23-250... (as the 'Mi-24 II' product should they ever make it - and an Mi-2 URP-G for the MCLOS experience). I'll admit that the Mi-24D with its 9M17 missiles is pretty iconic though.

• 1 month later...

I can't get this to work either. I wonder if it is related to an upcoming patch? Or if there is an error? It'd be interesting if this would work, as it'd make S-13 pods more useful.

I'd already discovered the GUV and bomb combination, as well as the S-5 and bomb combination (although I didn't really that S-8/S-13/S-24 don't work with bombs. I also found it interesting that R-60 is compatible with S-8 or S-24 (but not S-5 or S-13)!

The one big discovery is that it is possible to load the R-60 asymmetrically with 9M114 (which is a useful combination - since the spool up time for R-60 can be engaged on only one side at a time, all four missiles are unlikely to be used in the same engagement).

On 12/15/2022 at 10:14 PM, admiki said:

Edited to add: don't quote me on this, but I think system will aim and fire inboard racks first and then switch aim touse outboard ones.

I'm almost certain, though not 100%, that it does exactly the opposite, firing outboard racks first.

20 minutes ago, jubuttib said:

I'm almost certain, though not 100%, that it does exactly the opposite, firing outboard racks first.

Aaaaanddddd, we are both wrong. Just tested it, both firing at the same time. CCIP doesn't work. (which is in line if you have only S-13 rockets mounted)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, admiki said:

Aaaaanddddd, we are both wrong. Just tested it, both firing at the same time. CCIP doesn't work. (which is in line if you have only S-13 rockets mounted)

Ach, to be fair what I meant was that it prioritizes emptying out the outer ones first, but does shoot from both. I have this image in my head of my friend's Hind in a recent session having like 3 rockets left on the outer pods, but most of the ones still in the inner pods.

The Mi-8 also does things in a funky way, if you do small taps of the weapon release button it seems to only shoot part of a "burst" of rockets, and towards the end you might find that sometimes when you press the button it doesn't shoot anything, then you press again and it shoots a couple of stragglers, etc.

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, Logan54 said:

push on S-13 switch (near sight switch)

The poster was talking about switching between S-8 and S-13 rockets while carrying both, which is impossible 

The S-13 switch on the weapons panel is not for S-13 rocket, but for S-13 gun cam. Perhaps it was re-wired to work with cam on ASP-17V 

I believe only the earliest 1982 models of Mi-24P had the wingtip S-13 gun cam. Then it was removed but the switch stayed on the weapons panel as a vestigial organ, just like the mistaken stencils on ASO-2V panel. That is unless it’s needed for the ASP-17V one, but I would need to read some manuals for that. 

Edited by AeriaGloria
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2023 at 7:35 PM, RacoonE69 said:

Thanks for the video. I knew about the use of light machine guns from the windows, but my question was about the actual use of the kord heavy machine gun.

Greetings

The door gun was used after using a PKT In the windows was in-effective in Afghanistan, they need bigger caliber and FOV, even then often PKT/PKM were still used. You can read about it here https://en.topwar.ru/21468-vertushki-afganistan-mi-24.html

IMG_8902.jpeg

IMG_8903.jpeg

IMG_8991.jpg

Edited by AeriaGloria

• 6 months later...
15 hours ago, badger7966 said:

I saw on a recent news clip that Ukraine has fired hydra 70mm rockets from their Hinds,and equiped them with IR supressors...Be nice to have that ir supressor !

They use the same IR suppressor we use in DCS? Do you have a picture of them using a different suppressor? 

Edited by AeriaGloria

• 1 month later...