Best lighting setup for Reverb G2?

Notso

Obviously the room lighting is critical for the headsets that are self-contained headtracking.....  But I've never really seen it defined as to what is the correct and best way to set up the lighting for ideal performance.  I've recently begun to experience issues with my Reverb G2 tracking.  At least I'm assuming that is the issue.  

Here is a description of my symptoms as best as I can think to describe it....  When looking around IN the cockpit, especially looking down trying to find a switch - the whole cockpit floats around and starts "jittering".  It does happen when I'm looking straight ahead, but much less so.  AS soon as I move my head left or right or especially down - it starts to float around and then snap back, all the while jittering as if you were holding a camera while driving down a gravel road.  Other times, there is a definitive stutter at a specific hz rate as if you're you're going tick, tick, tick.....  

Most of this is while sitting on the ground running.  If I look outside of the cockpit, the scene and the world going by is fine.  As soon as the cockpit comes back into the FOV - its starts floating and jittering again.  If there is a way I could capture that video, I'll post it here so it makes more sense.  Not sure how to take video clips in the VR headset.

I've run FPS VR while this is going on and the frame rates down seem to change based on whether I'm looking down into the cockpit with the max amount of floating or not - so that's what's leading me to think its a head tracking issue.  It's weird though, because I've not had this happen before.   It also seems to improve slightly if I turn off my monitor, but it no where eliminates the problem.

Any ideas, suggestions, fixes???  Huge TIA!

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

There could be any number of problems here, but try resetting the WMR environment data, and making sure that the room is well lit with lots of contrast.

have you added any programs to your pc lately?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Here is a description of my symptoms as best as I can think to describe it....  When looking around IN the cockpit, especially looking down trying to find a switch - the whole cockpit floats around and starts "jittering".  It does happen when I'm looking straight ahead, but much less so.  AS soon as I move my head left or right or especially down - it starts to float around and then snap back,

I Also am having this same problem with my HP G2 doing the same thing. I have started to change all the settings 1 at a time in Steam VR, WMR, Open XR, Also i feel it has gotten worse starting with this last Steam VR update. Have you seen the new WMR settings in Steam VR? I'm going crazy now because I have DCS pixel density set to lowest setting then in Steam VR I have DCS app setting to MAX 500 in the game I have everything MAXED to the highest settings MSAA too and Motion reprojection on in open xr at times I get 28 FPS but its butter smooth and the Highest res I've ever had in the HP G2 and it's awesome but this VR BODY Moving head tracking jitter is just a pain to deal with. ALSO I have NO VR boundaries set up in WMR and I'm wondering if THAT is the issue. I get a look left and right then look down message just before Steam VR kicks in now too. It never did that before the Update. I'm still working on one at a time elimination process of all my crazy VR settings in all the aps open for VR. WMR, OPEN XR, STEAM VR. AND DCS World.

Any WMR headset can lose tracking if you turn your head towards an unlit area of your room.   My Odyssey would lose tracking if I looked over my left shoulder.  I put a lamp behind my seat, which my seat is in a fixed position so it wasn't like I"d knock it over.   But the additional light solved my tracking issues. 

Every once in awhile I have to clear environment data in the mixed reality portal settings.   Other than that if I have any tracking issues are probably due to lighting. 

Although DCS has been putting my head way outside of my cockpit occasionally for no reason since 2.7 and I just hit the recenter button.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

41 minutes ago, Headwarp said:

Any WMR headset can lose tracking if you turn your head towards an unlit area of your room.   My Odyssey would lose tracking if I looked over my left shoulder.  I put a lamp behind my seat, which my seat is in a fixed position so it wasn't like I"d knock it over.   But the additional light solved my tracking issues. 

Every once in awhile I have to clear environment data in the mixed reality portal settings.   Other than that if I have any tracking issues are probably due to lighting. 

Although DCS has been putting my head way outside of my cockpit occasionally for no reason since 2.7 and I just hit the recenter button.  

Crazy My Lighting has not changed at all in the room I use VR in but I will give it a try and turn on an addition light for a test. 

Opting out of SteamWMR beta solved most tracking issues for me.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

Like Many, I have had to revert back to Non Beta versions of WMR for Steam and Steam VR to solve current issues. But prior to that I solved my G2 head tracking issues by reducing the amount of reflective surfaces visible to the headset. I sit at my PC in front of the monitor as I dont have space for a specific play area. My display I have reduced resolution to 1920 x 1080 and DCS runs windowed at the smallest resolution available in DCS. I use the cover that came with the g2 and drape over the screen to cover the moving parts of the DCS left eye only image. I also minimize SRS as the sound bar movement seemed to affect it also. The biggest improvement came from covering the reflective tempered glass on my PC. My desk is mildly reflective and causes problems still when looking lower into the cockpit. Also having my curtains closed so the range of light intensity is minimized improved things.  I don't know how the G2 cameras work, I assume based on contrast.  I hope this helps.

Cheers.   

2 hours ago, Kill2getCrimson said:

Like Many, I have had to revert back to Non Beta versions of WMR for Steam and Steam VR to solve current issues. But prior to that I solved my G2 head tracking issues by reducing the amount of reflective surfaces visible to the headset. I sit at my PC in front of the monitor as I dont have space for a specific play area. My display I have reduced resolution to 1920 x 1080 and DCS runs windowed at the smallest resolution available in DCS. I use the cover that came with the g2 and drape over the screen to cover the moving parts of the DCS left eye only image. I also minimize SRS as the sound bar movement seemed to affect it also. The biggest improvement came from covering the reflective tempered glass on my PC. My desk is mildly reflective and causes problems still when looking lower into the cockpit. Also having my curtains closed so the range of light intensity is minimized improved things.  I don't know how the G2 cameras work, I assume based on contrast.  I hope this helps.

Cheers.   

Very helpful, thank you.  I had not thought about reflective surfaces being a factor.  Also my Sim pit is right up against a wall on my right side and the left is open to the room.  I wonder now if I'm getting any issues with wall color?  But I have flown lots in there before with no previous issues, so not sure what's going on.  

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

The trick is to get a soft light in the room, not necessarily a strong one.

In my gaming room I use the same light as I used for my Oculus Quest 1:
In the evening, one LED lamp pointed oblique upwards towards the wall in front of me.
In the daytime light comes from windows to the side of me, if it gets too strong, I pull down the blinds.
This has worked perfectly with both headsets.

I do try to avoid reflective surfaces, since I know that the G2 is sensitive to that.

If I play in the living room, I have to cover the TV.
(This isn't necessary with the Quest.)
Here I use a ceiling lamp with a light damper, so I get a soft light there as well.
In the daytime there's light from windows at two sides, also here I put blinds if it is too strong.

• Like 2

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I was thinking of getting the G2 but after reading this thread I'm re-thinking the choice and now looking for another with far less light sensitivity.  I've been spoiled using the Rift these past years with my multi-sensor setup giving flawless tracking, also it has great sound.  Yes it could use higher resolution but I really must say it's been near flawless.

Is there a competitive option to the G2?

On 5/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, fitness88 said:

I was thinking of getting the G2 but after reading this thread I'm re-thinking the choice and now looking for another with far less light sensitivity.  I've been spoiled using the Rift these past years with my multi-sensor setup giving flawless tracking, also it has great sound.  Yes it could use higher resolution but I really must say it's been near flawless.

Is there a competitive option to the G2?

The new Vive Pro . 5k and uses external tracking like the CV1 . 

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2