What kind of stuff do i need to play DCS properly?

Mip...

Yep i got it after you got confused of what the heck i was talking about haha.

Thanks to both. Dont know what i would do without you. ;)

/Alex

Regards

Alex "Snuffer" D.

AMD FX8350 (8 core) 4.1GHZ ::: 8GB Dominator 1600mhz ::: GTX660 2GB ::: 2xHD ::: 24" ASUS

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post here instead of another topic.

Ok here's my issue:

I have a model aircraft simulator controller 'radio'(Real Flight G3), I will by a normal joystick with throttle integrated and twist for rudder.

The model controller has: 2 2pos switches, a rotary nob, a 3 pos switch, 1 normal button and 2 sticks (on one the x-axis is 'knotched').

Will I be able to use both and if so will the game recognize the switches properly or will it do what other games do and treat them like a button that gets stuck 'on'. Will be great if I can use the switches for weapon panel stuff and one stick for SHKVAL freeing up more hat switch, keyboard keys and eliminating some complex keyboard combos.

Don't think you can answer this but meh, I also have my actual controller that can link onto the other giving me another controller and more switches:D, might end up too complicated anyway:huh: but will THIS be possible.

Thanks.

Just a reminder/warning for people without experience with multiple controllers:

AFAIK every Logitech joystick and even HOTAS Cougar (sic!) use the same JUNK pots which will shoot signal spikes after a week or so.

th_crap_pot_potentiometer.jpgth_MVC-019F.jpgth_MVC-002F.jpg

Avoid them at all costs! :disgust:

Even cheap SAITEK joystick as Cyborg Evo uses better (completely different) potentiometers

th_saitek_potentiometer2.jpgth_saitek_potentiometer4.jpg

The word better is inadequate here and I can't find proper English word to describe the HUGE difference between SAITEK pots and Logitech/COUGAR JUNK pots. Lets just say that almost 2 years old potentiometers in SAITEK Cyborg Evo have cleaner signal than 2 weeks old Logitech junk pots.

I don't have time nor money to sue them but I can share the info at least. .

Edited by Bucic
swearing

I had a logitech stick once and I know that I will never buy one of those every again. The Z-Axis started to act weird after a few weeks of use (I didn't have any pedals back then) and it wasn't possible to calibrate it. A friend of mine had the same stick at that time and guess what? The same issues. -> JUNK POTS, just like Bucic mentioned.

My next joystick was a Cyborg Evo which I was completely satisfied with until I upgraded to the X52 with rudder pedals (my current setup). Last weekend I found my old Cyborg lying around and I thought maybe it could be more useful than catching dust so I started to take it apart. My plan is to build a collective, similar to urze's project, using the Cyborg's stick as collective handle. Should be quite good for BS. It has 6 regular buttons (including the trigger button), one 8-way hat switch and the z-axis which is built into the stick, so it is still usable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would it be weird to try and use an old twist rudder stick as a rudder? I still have an Saitek ST290 Pro lying around.... :-/

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D

Would it be weird to try and use an old twist rudder stick as a rudder? I still have an Saitek ST290 Pro lying around.... :-/

Of course you can, the problem is that you will be very limited with exact rudder movement because the z-axis of the Evo (I'm not sure about the ST290 but it looks very similar to the Evo) does not allow for much movement, about one cm in each direction, at most.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

shoot signal spikes after a week or so.

Sorry but what do you mean by this. Will it get sluggish and unresponsive or ......

I knew Saitek where better but, since for some reason they aren't plentiful here(anymore, used have a great one), I was gonna settle for Logitech. Looks like I may need to reconsider.

I thought the couger or whatever was a top range product, has the price of one.

......and even HOTAS Cougar (sic!) use the same JUNK pots which will shoot signal spikes after a week or so.

http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/images/faq/hardware/potopened.jpg

Avoid them at all costs! :disgust:

I had my Cougar unmodded for about a year and a bit with no problems whatsoever..........and even when I modded it the Pots were still fine.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Sorry but what do you mean by this. Will it get sluggish and unresponsive or ......

I knew Saitek where better but, since for some reason they aren't plentiful here(anymore, used have a great one), I was gonna settle for Logitech. Looks like I may need to reconsider.

I thought the couger or whatever was a top range product, has the price of one.

You'll get potentiometer output signal noise and even spikes as I said. IMO it's rather technical term so there's no need to explain it. To put it simple - your aircraft's control surfaces will shake even if you move the stick very smoothly or even keep it centered. Formation flying, gun strafing and any other precission maneouver, you name it, will be a nightmare.

It is a top range product. Except of potentiometers and gymbal play (see Cougar mods).

I had my Cougar unmodded for about a year and a bit with no problems whatsoever..........and even when I modded it the Pots were still fine.

If simulators take into account forces from control surfaces shaking caused by players' controlers potentiometers noise you would damage them or even loose them soon. Additionally some games have pot noise filtering built in ie. Battle of Britain 2 Wings of Victory. And why would modding your Cougar worsen potentiometers?

I'm not going to discuss your case as you are the first I know of who claim that Cougar pots are fine. I'm still not going to discuss it if second and the third satysfied Cougar owner pop up because after all there was a reason for Cougar potentiometers mod to appear. Plus I have every reason to identify Cougar pots as excactly the same as models as Cougar pots.

Edited by Bucic

I'm not going to discuss your case as you are the first I know of who claim that Cougar pots are fine. I'm still not going to discuss it if second and the third satysfied Cougar owner pop up because after all there was a reason for Cougar potentiometers mod to appear. Plus I have every reason to identify Cougar pots as excactly the same as models as Cougar pots.

I have no issue with the fact that the Standard Cougar Pots are Sub-Par.....:)

I do however have an issue with you stating that the pots "will shoot signal spikes after a week or so"....hence my earlier reply ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have no issue with the fact that the Standard Cougar Pots are Sub-Par.....:)

So I assume we both agree that this information (same junk potentiometers in Logitech and Cougar) is important for newcomers and should be delivered ;)

I do however have an issue with you stating that the pots "will shoot signal spikes after a week or so"....hence my earlier reply ;)

They might in case of Logitech where some joysticks' mechanical design is as pitiful as quality of junk pots mentioned ie. Wingman Extreme Digital 3D twist handle potentiometer mounting which put loads on pot's axis driving it from its normal position even for few degrees. This can cause a signal spike even in case of reletively new pot.

I could write an essay about it but it's not worth it. Newcomers - if you pick a joystick, look for its inside pictures on the internet and check if it's not fitted with junk pots!:vertag:

Edited by Bucic

So I assume we both agree that this information (same junk potentiometers in Logitech and Cougar) is important for newcomers and should be delivered ;)

Indeed...but delivered in an Objective manner with due regard to both the positive and the negative, as applicable :)

Stating to a potential Cougar owner/potential owner that will peruse the post, that his Cougar will start spikin' within a week /<without delving into the veracity of the statement>/ hardly does the product any favours ;)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Indeed...but delivered in an Objective manner with due regard to both the positive and the negative, as applicable :)

Stating to a potential Cougar owner/potential owner that will peruse the post, that his Cougar will start spikin' within a week /<without delving into the veracity of the statement>/ hardly does the product any favours ;)

I don't know the blokes but somehow I feel closer to sim newcomers than to Thrustmaster/Logitech :D Seriously, Thrustmaster's/Logitech's official site is for positives. :P

To clarify. Cougar's mechanism are more solid than Lgitech's so you probably won't get spikes after a week or so ;)

But too soon and owner of cheap Saitek cyborg will get it much later than you :devil_2:

I have spikes in the horizontal rotary knob on my X-52. I got it after about 2 years, though I never used it that much.

Actually some X52s have these problems from the very start!

BTW, have you installed the precision mod for X52s? Especially for IL2 this was a huge improvement over the original sensor-settings.

Anyway, let's face it: You can run a piece of hardware or software for years without a problem and you can have a monday morning product, which fails on 1st try. You just can't make up a general rule from either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi everyone!

Anyone have any feedback about CH?

Seems like everyone likes the x52 but im not convinced yet..

IMHO Thrustmaster Cougar and CH Fighterstick + Pro Throttle are the kings of the hotas.

CH may look a little sluggish, with it's all plastic-design, but it is one of the most durable piece of hardware I ever had. Very well designed and thought through. The programming software is as excellent as the Cougars, though IMHO the later offers a few more options with more workload.

The real disadvantages of the CH-setup are the relatively large stick - you really have to be either a gorilla or put the joystick in a lower position to reach all keys without moving your hand away too much and the lack of rotaries. It has a good and precise minimouse-stick, but only one additional rotary on the base of the stick - that's it. Compared to the X52s 3 axis + twist stick, this is a bit weak IMHO.

You can check out the "Frankenpotatoe"-Mod, though, if you are interested in CH-Products. I also recommend to pay http://www.ch-hangar.com a visit. It's more or less becoming the official forum ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've been reading reviews and whatnot and the Cougars faults + price ruled it out.

Im not sure what to get yet but from the little i read CH's sound like durable, precise sticks and dont look like toys, wich is a small plus.

Im not sure yet if im going for a HOTAS or if that is much better setup for rotary wing, im interested in all future aditions to DCS but im more likely to stick with helicopters all the time.

Thank you for your reply :) .

@ Pilotasso,

do you still have the pictures for the precision mod, I'm interested in doing it but do not see the pictures in the old thread!?

The fact that the sticks handling is 'square' and not 'round' as it should be is a real annoyance to me, Shouldn't Saitek be able to solve this with software??

Anyhow, any help on that mod would be appreciated, I would like to attempt it this weekend!

@ Pilotasso,

do you still have the pictures for the precision mod, I'm interested in doing it but do not see the pictures in the old thread!?

The fact that the sticks handling is 'square' and not 'round' as it should be is a real annoyance to me, Shouldn't Saitek be able to solve this with software??

Anyhow, any help on that mod would be appreciated, I would like to attempt it this weekend!

I was reading through the X52 MOD thread too earlier today and noticed the absence of the pictures you mentioned (pic 1 and 2). It would be nice if you could post/upload them again.

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Feedback on CH Products is what you are looking for? Okay, in my humble opinion, you can't get anything better out of the box. Period. There is no other controller on the market today that is as programmable. Durability, well, I’ve had my FighterStick going on 6 years now. I’ve had a few ProThrottles but that had nothing to do with their quality. I’m a hardware Beta Tester. I was the hardware Beta tester for the Throttle Quadrant as well. However, if there is a problem, CH Products product support doesn’t burry their head in the sand and pretend there isn’t one. They are all over the various forums providing help to their customers. They are quick to reply to e-mails and phone calls as well. Most of the time, the problem is “fixed” within a very short period of time. Typically as I’ve seen, it’s nothing more than a software issue, not hardware. For those software issues, the creator of the software (Bob Church) is ALWAYS quick to help with what ever programming question there may be. There are others at The CH-Hangar to help out as well.

At the moment, I’ve got a full CH Products array of controllers:

FighterStick, ProThrottle, ProPedals, Throttle Quadrant, Multi Function Panel, and, DT225 TrackBall.

Personally, CH is the only way to go, if not for the hardware, software, then if nothing else, their product support. In my opinion, it’s unsurpassed. There are a few companies out there that could learn a thing or two from them in supporting their products.

:joystick: