F-16 AI (IA) Flight Refueling Fail

Condition: I was creating a mission where several flights of 4 ship F-16s were required to refuel from a tanker prior to pushing. The F-16 4 ship will fly formation on the tanker's left wing, then the flight lead will take fuel, no problem.  When # 2 tries to refuel, the aircraft will close into initial position, and then porpoise to just above the elevator of the KC-135, then collide with the rudder. This behavior is included in the tracks attached, however, I was fortunate enough to run a test where the tanker was not immediately destroyed and witnessed the 3rd AI pilot repeat the same maneuver. I believe this is included in the bl52 track file. This behavior does not occur with the A-10CII.

Cause (Best Guess): I noticed that as the 2nd element closes into position with the tanker, the boom does not move / respond like it did with the flight lead. It seems the AI pilot then pulls up to avoid collision , as the boom has not been raised. The AI likes positive G, so up he goes into the KC-135 Rudder. 

Reproduce: Place a Tanker with a Boom on any map. Place a flight of F-16Cs (any block, CMs as well), and instruct them to refuel. Observe #2 strike the tanker when it is his turn.  Repeat the process with A-10C, or any other female plane and they refuel fine. Indicates F-16 Specific Problem.

F16_RefuelingBug.trk F16bl52d_RefuelingBug.trk

Edited by Pheonix0869
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Thanks for the tracks. This looks pretty much like this bug:

This other bug was marked as "fixed internally" today. Wait and see.

Unless there is an update today, I gave a track to a beta tester, possibly you, in my thread about that. He reproduced it and was surprised he got the same results. Was planning to test his own refueling mission vs mine.

Edit. Mine was about F18s doing it. Thought they joined the air force or something.

Edited by icecold951

On 5/23/2021 at 1:36 PM, Pheonix0869 said:

Condition: I was creating a mission where several flights of 4 ship F-16s were required to refuel from a tanker prior to pushing. The F-16 4 ship will fly formation on the tanker's left wing, then the flight lead will take fuel, no problem.  When # 2 tries to refuel, the aircraft will close into initial position, and then porpoise to just above the elevator of the KC-135, then collide with the rudder. This behavior is included in the tracks attached, however, I was fortunate enough to run a test where the tanker was not immediately destroyed and witnessed the 3rd AI pilot repeat the same maneuver. I believe this is included in the bl52 track file. This behavior does not occur with the A-10CII.

Cause (Best Guess): I noticed that as the 2nd element closes into position with the tanker, the boom does not move / respond like it did with the flight lead. It seems the AI pilot then pulls up to avoid collision , as the boom has not been raised. The AI likes positive G, so up he goes into the KC-135 Rudder. 

Reproduce: Place a Tanker with a Boom on any map. Place a flight of F-16Cs (any block, CMs as well), and instruct them to refuel. Observe #2 strike the tanker when it is his turn.  Repeat the process with A-10C, or any other female plane and they refuel fine. Indicates F-16 Specific Problem.

F16_RefuelingBug.trk 28.89 kB · 8 downloads F16bl52d_RefuelingBug.trk 28.43 kB · 9 downloads

Takes time sometimes to get an answer. I don't think your description was the cause. In my case, the lead craft broke off normally. The second pair came up behind, then went straight in with the enthusiasm of a pair of rams.

Same issue here as well.

Single element (2-ship) of F15C’s refueling, 1-1 refuels without issue, 1-2 smashes canopy into Tanker Tail causing damage to the Tanker which then falls out the sky and crashes into the ground/ocean.  F15 1-2 damages ‘ breaks canopy but continues to fly the mission. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I get a similar problem with the F14 and the S3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

understood next time it happens i will save the track, in my case it took place about an 30mins into a mission ... so replicating it wasn't really an option

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg