Mission 7 - playthrough

Check out this track - 6 pheonixes, not a single one guided. Something is definitely not right there.

Useless pheonixes tacview

Did the mission again, fired from farther away, got 6 kills. All backfires were destroyed (got the voiceover for that). However, I got the "ship hit, mission failed,"  but no enemy missiles hit. A few were fired before the backfires were destroyed, but none hit the ship, the point defence got them all. That tacview is also attached.

Ship wasn't hit tacview

Finally, it's a bit annoying to not be able to prioritize targets in TWS. The MIGs are always "stealing" your priority 1 and 2 slots, so you have to "waste" 2 phoenixes on them before you can start engaging the bombers. Again, it's a Heatblur / DCS problem, but still...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

@Sandman1330 you may want to post these in the Heatblur section. I agree that Phoenixes are messed up at the moment, but there's nothing I can do in the mission editor to fix it.

The mission fail condition is tied to the 'unit hit=USS Theodore Roosevelt" trigger. I can't imagine what else could possibly trigger this. I'll do some more experimenting.

1 minute ago, Reflected said:

@Sandman1330 you may want to post these in the Heatblur section. I agree that Phoenixes are messed up at the moment, but there's nothing I can do in the mission editor to fix it.

The mission fail condition is tied to the 'unit hit=USS Theodore Roosevelt" trigger. I can't imagine what else could possibly trigger this. I'll do some more experimenting.

Oh yeah, I understand it’s not controllable on your end. I think Heatblur is well aware of the Phoenix issues, but it’s actually DCS core that controls the missile API. There’s supposed to be a fix in the works.

It’s not a big deal that the mission showed fail, I still got all the “win” dialog and was able to just hit skip mission to progress. One missile did get super duper close, the CIWS got it, but maybe the ship took a tiny bit of damage from the close by explosion of the missile, and perhaps that’s all it took to trigger 🤷‍♂️

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

8 hours ago, Sandman1330 said:

Finally, it's a bit annoying to not be able to prioritize targets in TWS. The MIGs are always "stealing" your priority 1 and 2 slots, so you have to "waste" 2 phoenixes on them before you can start engaging the bombers. Again, it's a Heatblur / DCS problem, but still...

I did the following (should be in the video): I jumped in the backseat, hooked the 3( iircr) MiGs (one after the other) and marked them as "Do not attack" via CAP, thous removing the tracks from the Tgt list. Now the bombers get prioritized, but that too didn't do any good for the phoenix effectiveness

Edited by Lt_Jaeger

14 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

I did the following (should be in the video): I jumped in the backseat, hooked the 3( iircr) MiGs (one after the other) and marked them as "Do not attack" via CAP, thous removing the tracks from the Tgt list. Now the bombers get prioritized, but that too didn't do any good for the phoenix effectiveness

Awesome tip! I just tried that and it worked great. Still only got 1/6 phoenix hits though...

I get good hits with phoenix. killing up to six, (i mostly play as RIO in squadron so maybe just a bit more experienced. i get two to four usually with phoenix BVR at around 70m and then two more after merging. those bombers are fast and high and not easily hit with Fox2) and yet everytime i get the GAME OVER text.  

a bug that i kind of think is in your side, Inverted, is that the wingman is not behaving correctly.  he seems to maybe not launch or if he does (i dont know because im rushing to merge with bombers) he doesnt respond on comms at 269.00 which it shows him to be at.  i could really use his help engaging bandits!   Learned that wingman is just silent but still executes commands!

I guess im supposed to try and intercept the missiles?  Maybe im spending too much time in the back seat and so maybe Iceman isnt pushing burners hard enough?

Edited by marcocom

9 hours ago, marcocom said:

I get good hits with phoenix. killing up to six, (i mostly play as RIO in squadron so maybe just a bit more experienced. i get two to four usually with phoenix BVR at around 70m and then two more after merging. 

Phoenixes work OK at longer ranges, but if you engage at shorter range 

(30NM-ish), they don’t even seem to guide, even with valid tracks held throughout.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 3:11 AM, Lt_Jaeger said:

From that range how do you know which are the bombers?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

As I have Not so much time to fly, I now could fly the mission. In the first try I failed, and the Carrier got hit. 

On the second try, I switched to RIO Seat,  and fired  all my Phoenix from there, with an much better result. 

Then switched back to Pilot and hunted the remaining Bomber from there with Sidewinder and Guns.

I enjoy the campaign very much and I am hoping there will come more in this style. I own Zone 5 too, but did not get warm with it. Maybe because of missing knowledge of the Cat. But I am sure this will now change, and I will give it a new try after this one. 

• Like 1

System: Asus ROG STRIX X570 , Ryzen 9 5900X , ASUS ROG STRIX LC 240 , 64 GB GSkill 3200 Trident Z , Powercolor Red Devil RX 6900 XT , Running SSD only

Input: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog , Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals , Track IR 5, VoiceAttac with Vaicom Pro, HP Reverb G2

DCS Open Beta , Nevada NTTR Map, Persian Gulf Map , Syria Map, F-14 Tomcat , F/A-18C Hornet , F-16 Viper, AV-8B Harrier, Supercarrier

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2021 at 9:22 AM, Reflected said:

That's possible. With the 'unit damaged' trigger I can't control how much damage I need. As soo as it's less than 100%, it's damaged, which would mean a missile hit. I think a partial missile hit by a nearby explosion has a chance of 1 in a 100000 🙂

Just to add to this, I've had multiple attempts at this mission and haven't yet 'officially' passed it.

What seems to have happened to me repeatedly is that there is always one AS4 leaker that gets past the SM2s, at which point all the CIWS engage and destroy it. However there's always a couple of 20mm shells hitting the carrier (usually from the USS Farragut that is 'behind' the carrier relative to the AS4s, and engages them with its CIWS as it should) which triggers the carrier is sinking message and mission failure.

Having said that, am having a great time with this campaign overall, awesome work!

Edited by DaMoFo

Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | Gigabyte X570-Aorus Ultra | Gigabyte GeForce 4090 | Samsung C34F791 | Varjo Aero | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | too many flight controllers...

• 4 months later...

This mission has totally taken away my enthousiasm to play this campaign further.

Since last weekend i've given it multiple try's a day... It's just not working, there is always a missile slipping through and hitting the carrier.
Firing missiles at long range, short range, high speeds, low speeds, nothing is working, half of the missiles do not hit, my wingman is even worse it seems, he fires to god know what...

Even followed the playthrough to the second.... not the same end result.

I was super exited about this campaign, fully into the story, now my drive is completely gone, hell even to play DCS.

Edited by bonux1987

6 hours ago, bonux1987 said:

This mission has totally taken away my enthousiasm to play this campaign further.

Since last weekend i've given it multiple try's a day... It's just not working, there is always a missile slipping through and hitting the carrier.
Firing missiles at long range, short range, high speeds, low speeds, nothing is working, half of the missiles do not hit, my wingman is even worse it seems, he fires to god know what...

I was super exited about this campaign, fully into the story, now my drive is completely gone, hell even to play DCS.

Sorry to hear about your experience. You must be aware that missile performances change a lot in DCS and very often. Recently HB changed the AIM-54, and not in a good way. It got completely nerfed. This of course affects this mission fundamentally. I cannot possibly change/ write new missions for the campaign depending on what missile is nerfed and what isn't at a given moment. I have to assume everything works as intended - which they don't right now.

So this report belongs more to the table of whoever works on the AIM-54 performance, I'm also hoping for a fix in the upcoming updates. Until then, please use the 'skip mission' function in the campaign menu.

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 1:21 AM, bonux1987 said:

Aaand we didn't have to wait very long either 😉

11 hours ago, bonux1987 said:

Gonna give it a go today !

Please excuse my rant the other day... sometimes its best not to comment on something in the heat of the moment !

Thank you !

Don't worry, I understand...I can also get quite angry when a core DCS bug makes a campaign mission unplayable. Fortunately updates are coming regularly and such bugs are likely to be fixed soon if reported.

This one has been quite difficult for me too, managed to win it before the patch with luck after three tries.

The main problem is that, playing only as a pilot and not going in the backseat at all, it's quite difficult to have jester not select Migs as a priority target.

Asking him to scan high at the right time makes migs disappear and Tu22s to be the only target, but then if the shot is not taken soon enough even the TU22s get out of the scope.

On my last, successful attempt I decided to shoot whatever jester had as a priority, wether it was mig or Tu22, and then try to position the Tomcat to keep everyone in the scope aperture. In the end only the mig was hit, but since I had been in afterburner all the way since take off we were on time to dispatch enough of them before they launched.