Exhaust shrouds

Dusty44

As the title says adding exhaust shrouds in the mission editor kind of like the flare gun or MW50 in the 109. It would add more options for us. At the minute at dusk you are blinded by the exhausts.

• Like 3

If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.

"Blinded" is an exaggeration, no? I've flown the Mosquito at night a few times, in VR, and the exhausts haven't caused an issue.

They would still be cool, along with a black-belly livery for intruder missions.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

Well you won’t spot much looking out the left or right window without them. You would also be easier to spot. In reality your natural night vision wouldn’t kick as the light would ruin it. There’s some good examples in the book terror in the starboard. The pilot kicks of because the navigators flash light is way to bright. So he tapes it’s aperture smaller and smaller but the pilot still complains. By the end he has only a pin prick of light to look at his charts.

The NF paint schemes are cool for sure.

B376CDB5-CFDF-4BE3-8188-6143F6140BF9.jpeg

• Like 3

If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the night fighters were under orders not to fly into Europe, instead they were used to defend against enemy intruders.

The rational behind this being not wanting the radar to fall into enemy hands. Some NFII were used as intruders but had the radar removed. 

The FB.VI did most of the night intruder missions and obviously without radar. 

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

22 minutes ago, Krupi said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the night fighters were under orders not to fly into Europe, instead they were used to defend against enemy intruders.

The rational behind this being not wanting the radar to fall into enemy hands. Some NFII were used as intruders but had the radar removed. 

The FB.VI did most of the night intruder missions and obviously without radar. 

In 1943 to mid-1944 this is true, but increasingly in the latter stages of 1944 the radar equipped night fighters are used offensively as bomber support, flying around and ahead of the bomber stream or evening camping out near known Luftwaffe Night fighter airfields & holding beacons to harry the Nachtjagdgeschwader mercilessly.

This obliged many NF Mosquito Radar Operators to suddenly brush up on their navigation skills, something they hitherto had not had to pay too much attention to, what with the many nav beacons and aid of Ground Control over and around the UK.

Check out Night Flyer by Brandon Lewis (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-flyer-Lewis-Brandon/dp/0450011216) for corroboration should you need it.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Fenrir.

Were all night fighter marks used in in this role? 

I was surprised to see that the profiles above depict NF II in 1944. I had assumed these marks were replaced with upgraded radar version?

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

The NF.IIs were used as intruders in late 1943 as their AI Mk.IV radars had been superseded by the Mk.VII, Mk.VIII and Mk.VIIIa in use over the UK; whilst these latter marks were regarded (as your post alludes) as too valuable to lose over enemy territory, by this time the Mk.IV was not.

Whilst superseded, the Mk.IV was still useful and ergo better than nothing if tasked with hunting the Nachtjagdgeschwader in their own back yard.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Thanks 1

Britain doesn't have a flying Mosquito, but there is a NFII, which almost flies, that you might be interested in.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..