Aircraft nav lights unrealistic

hazzer

Hello, 

I'm sure you are aware that the lighting in DCS is flawed at best. There are some aircraft which have awfully unrealistic and frankly ridiculous lighting issues that have been around for far too long. 

Namely, the F-18 is the biggest offender. With orb like nav lights from a distance brighter than the sun.

• Like 3

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Agree, sad they have been neglected for so long and ridiculed by so many.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

The Hornet is one of the planes with good lights. You can actually see them from a distance instead of them disappearing arbitrarily. We need more planes like the Hornet.

• Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

The issue with the extreme light bloom on the Hornet, has been reported multiple times now and has been tagged "reported" by @BIGNEWY here:

and here:

By the lack of complaints/reports and the fact that this bug hasn't been squashed 11 months after the initial report (november 2020), it seems that most people aren't really bothered by this. For me it kinda kills flying at night in the Hornet..

Maybe these awful glowing orbs are only visible to some of us? (only in VR perhaps?)

I mean, the fact that @Exorcet is saying that the Hornet nav lights look realistic, surely he sees something better than what I see:

Screen_210318_154512.jpg 

Screen_210318_154640.jpg

The above effect is by the way not enhanced by the NVG. When I take off the NVG the orbs are just as big, but I enabled NVG to get a better screenshot showing the issue (taking a screenshot at night without NVG would only show a black screen with a light, without the perspective of distance)

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, Exorcet said:

The Hornet is one of the planes with good lights. You can actually see them from a distance instead of them disappearing arbitrarily. We need more planes like the Hornet.

When you're right next to it, maybe. When you increase the distance the lights get smaller but the freaken glow stays the same size before blending into a blob.

In my opinion, it should look like one of the brightest stars on a moonless night, perhaps bit brighter, right on top of (or next to) a blinking red colored star (military beacon), moving through the sky... no damn glow. As you get close, you should see some distance between these two. Within .3 or .4 nm, the position lights 'pixels' should perhaps be distinguishable. Yea, a little glow maybe around them and the beacon. 

• Like 1

Lighting has plenty of issues in dcs that needs resolving. As said it all looks rather poor in VR. 

F18 orb like position lights from a distance - at night from a distance they should be visible, not massively visible like they are now.

Lights are too visible in the daytime, landing lights shouldn't be illuminating the ground on a bright sunny day. You should be able to see that the nav lights are turned on but nothing so dramatic. 

Some of the lights have pop in - specifically the p51 has had this since it came out... 

• Like 1

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I'm not using VR, this is what I'm seeing, with a quick comparison with a random Youtube video, Hornets approaching a carrier:

image.png

My primary concern is seeing the lights from a distance because most lights just vanish from relatively nearby.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Why would you turn those on unless another pilot asked you to show your location and you didn't want to flare or something??  Just for the sake of procedure and/or realism?  I mean that's fine :)...  I'm not trying to say that's an invalid reason...  But I never turn lights on...  I also don't concern myself with what real pilots do unless it helps me kill other virtual targets :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

6 hours ago, Exorcet said:

I'm not using VR, ...

On 2D screens, there is probably no issue, but in VR or looks absurd.

With DCS' current lighting system, ED maybe optimized the Hornet nav lights for 2D users. I suspect that if they were to now optimize it for VR, it would probably cause problems in 2D.

As @hazzer said, there's still much to improve in terms of lighting. Perhaps that's the reason why the glowing UFO orbs are still here in VR.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team

Bloom lights on the hornet have been reported and another report for VR also is open. I dont have any news to share currently. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

5 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Bloom lights on the hornet have been reported and another report for VR also is open. I dont have any news to share currently. 

thanks

Thanks for letting us know it's still on the to do list BN :thumbup:

• Like 1

System specs:

• 8 months later...

So afaik the hornet 9s the only aircraft with such massive problems with its external lights. At any intensity they bloom so excessively that it’s like a neon Christmas tree and can really make the identification of it’s orientation almost impossible under certain conditions. 

they also go from completely unseen to flick immediately into over bloom instantly as the aircraft hits a certain point. 

this has been the situation for years, so when are these going to get fixed because surely it can’t be a long or complicated bug to squash?

• ED Team

It is still on our list and my report is still open, I dont have any news currently however. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2