Aiming..

StevanJ

Would be nice if the DCS developers would communicate what the guns/cannons convergence setting is so that we can set the gunsight accordingly and use the gunsight as per it's design function.

Can any DCS representatives provide this information please?

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Just a half-baked thought of mine: Set unlimited ammo. Fly level straight toward a large building, ideally with a repeating visible pattern (like apartment windows, etc). Hit ACTIVE PAUSE (I "think" the guns will still work) and then start test-firing and noting impact points relative to the sight AND on the wall. Use external view to see where your nose/tail alignment is really pointing on the wall (high/low). Use F10 measuring tool to determine distance. Note any height changes against windows. Travel a bit closer each time until you get to convergence distance. Test separately for mgs and cannons.

Or, just practice shooting stuff 🙂

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

2 hours ago, Talisman_VR said:

Would be nice if the DCS developers would communicate what the guns/cannons convergence setting is so that we can set the gunsight accordingly and use the gunsight as per it's design function.

Can any DCS representatives provide this information please?

Happy landings,

Talisman

Surely convergence will be tiny as all the guns are mounted in the nose.

• Like 1

^ Horizontal one - yes. Vertical one - far from it, and already an important factor when I see all cannon rounds flying a bit above gunsight pipper and I wonder what distance the cannons are set for.

• Like 3

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 10/4/2021 at 5:51 PM, Darrylx444 said:

Just a half-baked thought of mine: Set unlimited ammo. Fly level straight toward a large building, ideally with a repeating visible pattern (like apartment windows, etc). Hit ACTIVE PAUSE (I "think" the guns will still work) and then start test-firing and noting impact points relative to the sight AND on the wall. Use external view to see where your nose/tail alignment is really pointing on the wall (high/low). Use F10 measuring tool to determine distance. Note any height changes against windows. Travel a bit closer each time until you get to convergence distance. Test separately for mgs and cannons.

Or the developers simply share exactly what convergence they have set for the Mosquito, along with all the other information they provide.

Why the secret?

Why the problem with communicating this information to the customer?

Why not provide information that a reasonable customer would expect to be provided by a reasonable development team?

I find it very hard to understand why DCS don't provide this sort of information, but I am only a customer and there is probably a reasonable explanation, perhaps.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Thanks 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png

On 10/5/2021 at 5:06 AM, Nealius said:

I get good results with 250yds and wingspan to match anticipated threat (35ft for fighters 65ft for Ju88s). 

There’s still Kentucky windage involved since it’s not a gyro sight. 

Yeah....250 yards is what I set my range to,and obviously the wingspan of my target.....actually I'm pretty sure 200 - 250yards was the standard convergence advised for the Mosquito FB.

• Thanks 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

On 10/4/2021 at 7:51 PM, Darrylx444 said:

Tried that on Nevada map, plenty of high buildings in Vegas ;). Guns work in active pause indeed.

Wasn't precise about the measurement I admit (more interested in ballpark figure), but impact points and pipper seemed to converge around 900-1000'ish yards (give or take 200). Seems awfully far, but plausible actually when we see tracers always flying quite a bit above the pipper, way higher than in any other DCS warbird.

Guns set for ground strafing rather than air to air engagements maybe? The only way to confirm is by making a mission with a straight flying target drone, icons on and do some shooting at long distances.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

6 hours ago, Art-J said:

Tried that on Nevada map, plenty of high buildings in Vegas ;). Guns work in active pause indeed.

Wasn't precise about the measurement I admit (more interested in ballpark figure), but impact points and pipper seemed to converge around 900-1000'ish yards (give or take 200). Seems awfully far, but plausible actually when we see tracers always flying quite a bit above the pipper, way higher than in any other DCS warbird.

Guns set for ground strafing rather than air to air engagements maybe? The only way to confirm is by making a mission with a straight flying target drone, icons on and do some shooting at long distances.

Ah, good to know - thanks for sharing your results.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

8 hours ago, Talisman_VR said:

Or the developers simply share exactly what convergence they have set for the Mosquito, along with all the other information they provide.

Why the secret?

Why the problem with communicating this information to the customer?

Why not provide information that a reasonable customer would expect to be provided by a reasonable development team?

I find it very hard to understand why DCS don't provide this sort of information, but I am only a customer and there is probably a reasonable explanation, perhaps.

Happy landings,

Talisman

I appreciate your frustration, but it's definitely not an "or" scenario here. My reply was not intended to excuse the missing developer information or minimize it's importance. I don't control what info they do or do not share, nor their timelines. But I did have an idea on how to work out our own answer in the meantime, so I shared that in case anyone wanted to try it out.

I'd rather light a candle than curse the darkness.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, Darrylx444 said:

I appreciate your frustration, but it's definitely not an "or" scenario here. My reply was not intended to excuse the missing developer information or minimize it's importance. I don't control what info they do or do not share, nor their timelines. But I did have an idea on how to work out our own answer in the meantime, so I shared that in case anyone wanted to try it out.

I'd rather light a candle than curse the darkness.

Thanks Darrylx444.  Appreciate what you say.  We are always having to get those candles out I notice, even though we live in the age of electricity, lol.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png