Question: has anyone created a max trap weight chart?

Indianajon

I know the details are in the manual but I'm just wondering before I create one myself if anyone has made an F14 trap weight chart with all the relevant info to hand? I have similar for the A10C for things like nine lines etc and so just wondered.

My idea is a simple side of A4 with the relevant weights. Maybe a second side showing the most frequent set ups (2-2-2 etc). So it can either be laminated so I can calculate and rub out on the fly, or as an excel where you enter the set up and it spits out the weight. 

I know the supercarrier doesn't care about max trap weight and it would be low on my priorities for inclusion as the majority of players would hate it. That said it's a small piece of immersion for me that adds alot. Plus who knows, it might even improve my recoveries 😁

Well, given that you can, and will rip the hook off if you have too much weight and speed, I can imagine that this would be something necessary to have. That said, one thing to remember from the real F-14 is that you cannot trap with a full rack of Phoenix missiles, so if you intend to do a "Tomcat Buzzsaw" operation, then you better make sure that you ditch the AIM54s if you don't launch them.

6 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

That is a template I made myself from some Excel sheet I have stolen from the internet, just don't know where

Weight_new.pdf 573.92 kB · 11 downloads

That looks a lot like my first Payload Calculator (which later it became a more complex MDG generator). I took the values from the game in June 2019, so take them with a grain of salt, they may be different now. I'd suggest checking and see if they are still correct.

I'm sure some stations are not applicable any more though (IIRC the Mk20 was changed last year).

• Like 2
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

For me, I normally just calculate max fuel weight allowed for the trap. Max landing weight on the deck is 54,000lbs, and the F-14A(my main version) has an empty weight of about 42,000lbs. So I just add the fuel weight and ordinance up in my head always rounding up for safety. Example: 2xAIM-9 (200lbs each), 2xAIM-7 (500lbs each), 2xAIM-54 (1000lbs each), 2xEXT (150lbs empty each) would come out to about 4000lbs of ordinance meaning I've got a max landing fuel weight of 8000lbs. Don't know if that helps, but that's how I do it without a calculator. Could help to just have a kneeboard page with ordinance weights on them to just reference to help do the calculation. I don't have that, but since I literally just thought of it typing this out, I should probably try it out.

Edited by Prez

Heavy Fighter Elitist
AIM-120 Best Missiletm
AWG-9 Gaslighter
Diagnosed with terminal Skill Issue

Dont forget 500lbs per Phoenix rail and 500lbs (or was it 600lbs) for the stub pylons, plus 100lbs for each missile rail on the stub pylons. Gun ammo is about 400lbs if you are carrying a full load. 

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

2 minutes ago, sLYFa said:

Dont forget 500lbs per Phoenix rail and 500lbs (or was it 600lbs) for the stub pylons, plus 100lbs for each missile rail on the stub pylons. Gun ammo is about 400lbs if you are carrying a full load. 

I don't believe the weight for the pylons are modeled yet

Heavy Fighter Elitist
AIM-120 Best Missiletm
AWG-9 Gaslighter

17 minutes ago, Prez said:

I don't believe the weight for the pylons are modeled yet

They are and have been

Edited by BreaKKer

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

49 minutes ago, BreaKKer said:

They are and have been

The mission editor says otherwise, but I'll take your word. I had not known that the weight was modeled yet.

Heavy Fighter Elitist
AIM-120 Best Missiletm
AWG-9 Gaslighter

Are you sure stub pylons aren't included in empty weight? I've never seen an F-14 without them.

2 hours ago, Katj said:
22 hours ago, sLYFa said:

Are you sure stub pylons aren't included in empty weight? I've never seen an F-14 without them.

I'm not 100% sure tbh. The B NATOPS explicitly states that the 43600 empty aircraft weight include the stub pylons while the A NATOPS, citing 42000, does not explicitly say that this weight includes the stub pylons, so I assume it does not include them. 

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD