Sling Loading Cargo Swing Control Procedure

KoalaDoraemon

Good day gents,

The title says it all really.

Does anyone have a clear procedure that we can apply in DCS Huey to eliminate cargo load swinging. Agreed, it best way to eliminate cargo swinging is to prevent the darn thing from happening in the first place i.e smooth, small control inputs for all the axis of control. But despite our best effort, stuff happens, nuff said.😅

Some Youtube videos spoke about going to an external view and timing the movement of the Huey so we get ourselves over the cargo at the apex of its swing etc, but I could'nt find a way to make that work.

Any tried and true method for elimination of cargo swing? What do the other Huey pilots here practice?

If something works for you, I'm all ears.

Thanks friends, and stay safe always.

I follow the instructions in the manual:

During the flight when the cargo swing occurs, damp out oscillations:

•  when the roll oscillations occurs – make a small roll movement in the same direction where the cargo is moving or reduce a little the collective pitch at the moment when the cargo is close to one of the end points;
  •  when the pitch oscillations occurs – reduce a little the collective pitch at the moment when the cargo is close to one of the end points.

You have to feel the imbalance that the load produces to compensate, with each compensation the imbalance decreases, therefore the correction also.

• Like 1

Watch the ball.
Haven't tried it in Huey, but I find it's super easy in the Hip after they fixed the cargo weight issue. I usually go fast 200Kmp/h without problems, and if the engineer complains I slow down a little.
When arriving I slow down a little earlier and usually stops swinging when I enter hover.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

If you are experiencing what i call the pendulum effect during slingloading, the oscillating effect of the slingload, you'd want to be ahead of the curve, sort of speak. If you're hovering or slowly into forward flight, you'd want to wait till the load is at one side, say right, you'll notice it when the helicopter banks left with the loads weight, then when the load is swinging left, you pull left stick with the load. This will cancel out the swing of the load and position your load right beneath you.

You can test this out yourself with a yoyo or a string with a weight attached to it to you finger. Same principle is in effect when slingloading.

• Like 1

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)

• 1 year later...

An alle virtuellen Heli-Piloten, die beim Slingloading die nicht synchrone und nervtötende Durchsage "the load is swinging side to side" genauso stört - hier die Abhilfe:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Speech\common_events.lua

764    [Message.wMsgExternalCargo_longitudinal_swing] = {empty_string, 'longitudinal_swing'},
ändern auf:
764    [Message.wMsgExternalCargo_longitudinal_swing] = nil,

765    [Message.wMsgExternalCargo_transverse_swing] = {empty_string, 'transverse_swing'},
ändern auf:
765    [Message.wMsgExternalCargo_transverse_swing] = nil,

... und Ruhe ist in der Hütte.

- - -

To all virtual helicopter pilots who are equally bothered by the non-synchronous and annoying announcement "the load is swinging side to side" when slingloading - here is the remedy:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Speech\common_events.lua

764 [Message.wMsgExternalCargo_longitudinal_swing] = {empty_string, 'longitudinal_swing'},
change to:
764 [Message.wMsgExternalCargo_longitudinal_swing] = nil,

765 [Message.wMsgExternalCargo_transverse_swing] = {empty_string, 'transverse_swing'},
change to:
765 [Message.wMsgExternalCargo_transverse_swing] = nil,

... and silence is in the hut.

🙂

You can see the beginning of the slow build-up very well on the dragonfly and steer against it in time; I also feel it in my MotionRig.

I imagine that I can now fly the external loads even more calmly because the guy is no longer constantly annoying me with his commands that arrive much too late.

Sorry - my English ... I mean the cockpit instrument (gauge) where you have to "kick the ball" ...

Edited by Stefan Graber