Grid Zone Designation

hein22

How can I know what grid zone designation I am selecting when slewing around the SIGs? All I am being told by the system is the square identification grid (like EP) and then input the eastings and northings, but there is no place to select or even know what zone corresponds to what.

Is there any way?

Stay safe

If you're referring to the UTM zone designations (e.g. 37T or 38T on Caucasus) you don't need to select anything, as the GRID option centers itself around the aircraft. It already knows what grid belongs to which zone based on the grid's position relative to the aircraft on the display.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

2 hours ago, Tholozor said:

If you're referring to the UTM zone designations (e.g. 37T or 38T on Caucasus) you don't need to select anything, as the GRID option centers itself around the aircraft. It already knows what grid belongs to which zone based on the grid's position relative to the aircraft on the display.

Hey again!

Yeah I know, the MC calculates that, or you can even press the REF WP OSB and it will center on the waypoint selected. I was asking more about knowing what SIG corresponds to what GDZ. Because there are a lot of DP, a lot of DE, a lot of VE, etc. I also know that those generally are very apart from eachother but you can easily get confused if given an MGRS coordinate and you slew to the wrong way, then you end up in a very different GDZ.

I hope I was more specific this time, sorry bad english I guess.

Stay safe

There might be a lot of 'DE' grids, but there can only be one 'DE' in the 37T zone on the entire planet. You'd have to go pretty far out of your way on the DDI to even see another 'DE' grid for selection.

When you start moving the grid selection on the DDI, when it comes to the border of a UTM zone, it'll display the zone designators on the screen.

Screen_211029_011511.png

Edited by Tholozor
  • Thanks 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

10 hours ago, Tholozor said:

There might be a lot of 'DE' grids, but there can only be one 'DE' in the 37T zone on the entire planet. You'd have to go pretty far out of your way on the DDI to even see another 'DE' grid for selection.

When you start moving the grid selection on the DDI, when it comes to the border of a UTM zone, it'll display the zone designators on the screen.

Screen_211029_011511.png

Yeap, that's right. The numbers refer to the horizontal part of the GDZ, but we lack the letter that specifies the vertical part.

It's very easy to select the wrong one if you slew in the wrong direction, asi you will find a the same SIG but from a different GDZ.

I checked in NATOPS and DCS is actually correct, the legacy hornet lacks this function. It relies on the pilots situational awareness so he doesn't slew in the wrong direction.

Bummer for me that have a horrible SA in my mind.

Stay safe

2 hours ago, hein22 said:

Yeap, that's right. The numbers refer to the horizontal part of the GDZ, but we lack the letter that specifies the vertical part.

It's very easy to select the wrong one if you slew in the wrong direction, asi you will find a the same SIG but from a different GDZ.

I checked in NATOPS and DCS is actually correct, the legacy hornet lacks this function. It relies on the pilots situational awareness so he doesn't slew in the wrong direction.

Bummer for me that have a horrible SA in my mind.

Given the way MGRS works it's next to impossible to slew vertically to the wrong square - you have to slew 24 squares vertically to reach the same 100.000 meter square code again in MGRS-new. There's no way any person on this planet has SA so bad 😄

Edited by Shimmergloom667

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

38 minutes ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

Given the way MGRS works it's next to impossible to slew vertically to the wrong square - you have to slew 24 squares vertically to reach the same 100.000 meter square code again in MGRS-new. There's no way any person on this planet has SA so bad 😄

Trust me, one can have that bad SA 😅

Anyway. It happened to me dozens of times, where I am in one place patrolling, then get an MGRS coordinate to attack on, and in the rush of the fight I slew up instead of down until I find the SIG I was directed to. I know a good pilot should know that the target was south instead of north, but I also think a good system should help prevent human error. This OFP clearly doesn't do that 😛 and it allows a very bad pilot like me to make a mistake.

Stay safe

16 minutes ago, hein22 said:

Anyway. It happened to me dozens of times, where I am in one place patrolling, then get an MGRS coordinate to attack on, and in the rush of the fight I slew up instead of down until I find the SIG I was directed to. I know a good pilot should know that the target was south instead of north, but I also think a good system should help prevent human error. This OFP clearly doesn't do that 😛 and it allows a very bad pilot like me to make a mistake.

You have been scrolling 1.200nm that way. The system expects that pilots know that more than a few squares should probably be outside of any sort of applicable combat radius

• Like 2

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

4 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

You have been scrolling 1.200nm that way. The system expects that pilots know that more than a few squares should probably be outside of any sort of applicable combat radius

Yeah, exactly, the systems expects that. There is no room for error. If it gives you the horizontal numbers you could easily give the pilot the vertical component.

Topic closed, this is just my opinion and probably why the super hornet have it implemented.

Stay safe

20 hours ago, hein22 said:

It's always good to hear 'readback correct' from JTAC or whoever gave you the grid. Then, if you can verify on sensors or eyeballs...

19 hours ago, hein22 said:

Yeah, exactly, the systems expects that. There is no room for error. If it gives you the horizontal numbers you could easily give the pilot the vertical component.

Topic closed, this is just my opinion and probably why the super hornet have it implemented.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how someone would scroll 24 squares, since that takes AGES, and still thinks that's the right thing to do. Ah well. Whatever.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how someone would scroll 24 squares, since that takes AGES, and still thinks that's the right thing to do. Ah well. Whatever.

Yeah, sorry. I'm not very bright you know.

Stay safe

15 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

24 squares is a lot. 2400km from your current position

Edit, read the rest of the thread now, ignore me

Edited by Swiftwin9s
  • Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

3 hours ago, Foka said:

If so, there are good chances you wouldn't make it as a pilot, so plane's system doesn't have to take into a considaration people that are not pilots.

Huh?? What a weird post.

Anyway, I was kidding, thanks everyone for your replies. I understand now that the hornet doesn't have the horizontal component of the GDZ.

Stay safe