Headtracker interface cancelled???

the_soupdragon

In other words. TIR4 will be the ONLY working 6DOF head tracking device. Really bad

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

C2D E4500@3GHz + Scythe Katana , 2GB/800, GF9600GT@720 (GV-NX96T512HP), Cyborg Evo, Freetrack (2.2), Samsung 20" @1680x1050, Fortron BSII 400W (peak 430W), Win7 HP x64

Because of the NaturalPoint wish and NewInput.dll protected by SF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

C2D E4500@3GHz + Scythe Katana , 2GB/800, GF9600GT@720 (GV-NX96T512HP), Cyborg Evo, Freetrack (2.2), Samsung 20" @1680x1050, Fortron BSII 400W (peak 430W), Win7 HP x64

So ONLY version 4 of TIR works?

That sucks! I spent good money on TIR 3Pro and I will be spending good money on the English version of DCS, so it's a real shame I can't use them together! :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Intel E6750 @3.2Ghz | 2GB OCZ PC2-6400 RAM | XFX 680i SLI | BFG GTX260 216SP | Western Digital 3200AAKS 320GB SATA II HDD |

| Seagate 320GB 16MB SATA II HDD | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Soundcard | Samsung 245B 24" TFT Monitor |

| Logitech Z-5400 Digital THX 5.1 speakers | Logitech G15 | Logitech MX1000 | TM Cougar #27955 | TrackIR 3 Pro

Hi, first time i post something here, but have been reading this forums for some time now.

Can someone explain me why NaturalPoint can request this?

I was amazed with the 6DOF feature and this is one of the reasons i plan on buying this sim. But I wanted to use freetrack for it.

Why NaturalPoint wants to have the 'monopoly' on this feature is beyond my thinking.

Hi, first time i post something here, but have been reading this forums for some time now.

Can someone explain me why NaturalPoint can request this?

I was amazed with the 6DOF feature and this is one of the reasons i plan on buying this sim. But I wanted to use freetrack for it.

Why NaturalPoint wants to have the 'monopoly' on this feature is beyond my thinking.

The thing about requests is you can make as many and for whatever outcome or reason you want, the problem comes from if they are listened too.

Naturalpoint could have supplied everyone at ED with a life time supply of TiR products and paid them some money etc etc. Remember ED doesn't have to support any third party hardware if it doesn't want too. It would be silly, but they don't have too.

Maybe ED are using some propriatry code from Naturalpoint who have requested it remains protected (by SF) and it kind of ties there hands without them re-writing everything.

And the reason for Naturalpoint wanting a monopoly? Proffit, they are a business after all.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Of course, i understand this. But it seems to me that this isnt a wise decision of ED.

They are narrowing the player base that can use this sim to its full capabilities.

ED will have their reasons, im just curious what those reasons are.

And what about that...

Freetrack was able to work with TIR device as well. However NP forced them to remove this support from their sw. Why? They were actually supporting their product. Only if the FT has better results with TIR than original NP sw.

Business is mainly about competition. I am asking you. Do you think that NP deservs to receive money for something that can not compete anymore with something that is for free? What effort they have in development if someone can do the same without reward.

For NP is time to come with something diametrically different-better (like ED did with DCS series).

"Force" policy is not a way to success. Business is about competition (saying again), to do something better than competitors.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is a bad move by DCS, to eliminate competing devices so that Natural Point maintains its monopoly.

HeadTracking, Motion translating are starting to take its roots within the gaming community, alot of R&D money is currently being spent to bring you new ways to interact with your products.

This is just the beginning of natural motion interfaces era and to be frank this is short sighted of DCS to eliminate the ability to write code for new ways of doing this with BS.

NaturalPoint will not have my money because of this, they have a solid product but they are not gonna last long unless they adapt and accept that they are no longer in a niche market.

they tried doing this to the FSX crowd and they got rejected, Natural point demanded to cease support for other inputs such as Free track.

even if you don't have any devices other then a joystick right now demand with your money and time that you have that right to play this game or any other game with any device you want now and later down the road.

IMHO it's fine if they make their own interface closed, but it would have been nice to still see general head tracking support, and not only for NP.

Reminds me of the demise of 3dFX' Glide API....

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D

So ONLY version 4 of TIR works?

That sucks! I spent good money on TIR 3Pro and I will be spending good money on the English version of DCS, so it's a real shame I can't use them together! :(

Don't worry Amraam. TrackIR 3 and TrackIR 4 both work with Black Shark, as long as you are running version 4.1.036 of the TrackIR software.

Don't worry Amraam. TrackIR 3 and TrackIR 4 both work with Black Shark, as long as you are running version 4.1.036 of the TrackIR software.

Which excludes TrackIR 1 and 2.

You guys have got balls, I give you that much. You fight against developers, third parties and even your own users then you act all innocent. :wassat:

• Like 1

We won't allow any product/company bashing. If you have a problem with NaturalPoint, the ED Forums are not the place to express them.

Once we get clarification about what is and isn't supported in DCS in terms of head tracking, we will add the information to the User FAQ. For now, this topic is closed until we can make said clarifications.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules