Where is the realism?

Voolpy

Like most of us I fly for the realism (to a certain extent) that a simulator can bring, especially DCS... I like warbirds, but seriously! Even the pilot (indestructible obviously) is as strong as the plane, the dashboard too and the AI flies normally!

Other remarks, I do not speak when we must make an emergency landing (with all aircrafts) that leaves no trace on the ground of the slide.... on IL2 1946, it existed, I remember, the dashboard could be destroyed. 

Comme une grande majorité d'entre nous je vole pour le réalisme (dans une certaine mesure) que peux apporter un simulateur, notamment DCS... j'aime les warbirds, mais sérieux! il va falloir revoir ce problème. Même le pilote (indestructible visiblement) est aussi costaud que l'avion, le tableau de bord aussi et l'IA vole normalement !

Autre remarques, je ne parle pas lorsque l'on doit faire un atterrissage d'urgence qui ne laisse aucune trace au sol de la glissade.... sur IL2 1946, ca existait, je me souviens, le tableau de bord pouvais être détruit. FW190A8 down, but not.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Voolpy said:

Like most of us I fly for the realism (to a certain extent) that a simulator can bring, especially DCS... I like warbirds, but seriously! Even the pilot (indestructible obviously) is as strong as the plane, the dashboard too and the AI flies normally!

Other remarks, I do not speak when we must make an emergency landing (with all aircrafts) that leaves no trace on the ground of the slide.... on IL2 1946, it existed, I remember, the dashboard could be destroyed. 

Comme une grande majorité d'entre nous je vole pour le réalisme (dans une certaine mesure) que peux apporter un simulateur, notamment DCS... j'aime les warbirds, mais sérieux! il va falloir revoir ce problème. Même le pilote (indestructible visiblement) est aussi costaud que l'avion, le tableau de bord aussi et l'IA vole normalement !

Autre remarques, je ne parle pas lorsque l'on doit faire un atterrissage d'urgence qui ne laisse aucune trace au sol de la glissade.... sur IL2 1946, ca existait, je me souviens, le tableau de bord pouvais être détruit. FW190A8 down, but not.jpg

Can you please attach a track showing this?

Peux-tu s'il te plait poster un track montrant cette prouesse ?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I don't know what to say, i took P-47 and test this, managed to kill Anton quite proficient. The best killing efficiency i acquire from  long distance then from up close shots.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

1 hour ago, Voolpy said:

Hello, here is a track. The FW 190 A8 still flew with the same vigor and I finished out of ammo fight then I went back to land while the AI flew on its side. This is not the first time.

Tacview-20211127-092110-DCS-WWII training Channel.zip.acmi 645.91 kB · 2 downloads

This is not a DCS track, it's only a Tacview ACMI file. Tracks are useful because they can show what went wrong to devs.

The next time it happens to you, please save it asa DCS track (when ending mission, press "Save Track") then attach it here.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

take a look at this thread. It discusses the very thing you asked. Nineline (ED) analyzed the tracks submitted by the players and explained what happened to the 'bullets', what they hit, and how it affects the damage overall.

In short .50 cals aren't cannons. They are potent, but small. So you need to hit the vital parts of the aircraft for them to be effective. Gun convergence is a key. The closer you get to the target the less convergence there is, as you are simply shredding the wings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb peachmonkey:

In short .50 cals aren't cannons. They are potent, but small. So you need to hit the vital parts of the aircraft for them to be effective. Gun convergence is a key. The closer you get to the target the less convergence there is, as you are simply shredding the wings.

This. if aimed right, at the 1100ft convergence , a 1 - 2 second burst right up the fockes wulf will messer any schmitt. fast.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Doughguy said:

This. if aimed right, at the 1100ft convergence , a 1 - 2 second burst right up the fockes wulf will messer any schmitt. fast.

😄

waiting for the ED to introduce the gas tank, ammo box, and oxygen bottle explosions in the wings. DCS WWII will become spectacular!

• Like 2

In Spit I have a convergence between 200 and 250 yard. When I have time, when I am on the rear zone, I prefer to pull when the other plane starts a turn to increase the surface of its engine.... even there the Fw 190 takes a little too well it seems to me. the pilot also.... it is strong but a little too much I think.

fw190a8.jpg

Edited by Voolpy

4 minutes ago, Voolpy said:

In Spit I have a convergence between 200 and 250 feet. When I have time, when I am on the rear zone, I prefer to pull when the other plane starts a turn to increase the surface of its engine.... even there the Fw 190 takes a little too well it seems to me. the pilot also.... it is strong but a little too much I think.

another issue to consider is that the AI planes have a simple FM that sometimes makes them perform some crazy climbs and stalls. I'm not sure if they experience any detrimental effects from holes in the wings either, maybe they do at a lesser degree. And that'd make the AI plane appear to have a full flight worthiness where in reality it should disengage and crawl back home. The best way to test the strength of any aircraft is to fight with a human player, not AI. It is what it is at the current stage.

@Voolpy i noticed it too, firing on plane which flies level tend to be less efficient when firing at plane which is showing you more area, from top or below or when target is turning, contribute for faster kill.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

As stated, we need in game tracks, for the 190 and other modules, the visual damage is a mere texture change and cannot always be trusted to show what is or isn't truly going on. With the Mossie, we have started to work on 1 to 1 damage decals, but it will take time.

• Like 4

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

1 hour ago, NineLine said:

As stated, we need in game tracks, for the 190 and other modules, the visual damage is a mere texture change and cannot always be trusted to show what is or isn't truly going on. With the Mossie, we have started to work on 1 to 1 damage decals, but it will take time.

Ohhh nice! Figured the X-Ray damage and damage decals weren't one to one. Sweet!

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

yes the main problem is the ai. 

if you pepper one of the axis fighters they often disengage and run away. quite often  they make a belly landing.

a human player might have more problems handling a damaged plane but ai is somewhat skynet driven lol. but it was stated enough that the ai used a simplified flight model.

they only eject if they receive a catastrophic failure but not because of some holes in the wings. and only if you get the aircraft destroyed message its really done even if the plane is damaged as hell but somehow limps around. hence people think its still in combat worthy condition.

and as nineline said, the damage textures arent a representative display of actual damage. ever wondered why damage looks the same after some pot shots?

ive experienced greater success engaging slightly from below. at great heights thatll make the fuel tanks burst. resulting in a huge fireball and most of the time a catastrophic fire if not just a huge fuel leak and the bogey fleeing.

Edited by Doughguy

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...