B-25 Mitchell

Nomatic

18 hours ago, evanf117 said:

wdym the above reasons, the avenger an carry both torpedo's and quantity's of bombs, it has 2 12.7mm's in the wings, a .50 on top and a .30 down below
also there is a higher change of a TBF/M because it has less crew

But it is not a level bomber.

It is a dive bomber, but equipped with a Norden it could be used as a level bomber, but I don't believe it was ever used like that; I could be wrong though.

Again, it's only my personal opinion and I have to agree with @FlankerKiller, this thread is about the B-25 and you are hijacking it

to advocate for the TBF. Please stay on topic and start your own thread for the TBF or any other plane you would like.   SRsfa58.gif

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

3 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

The Avenger was deploy on ETO on 1942, to hunt submarines on the Atlantic on the Hunter Killers CVL groups, with near 35 Uboats sunk with radar, flares, sonobouis, rockets, bombs, depth charges and ASW torpedoes with assitance of Wildcats fighters.
https://uboat.net/allies/aircraft/avenger.htm

True, they operated from esscort carriers, but we still need the Naval assets. I think the TBF needs its own thread

On 12/29/2021 at 11:16 AM, FlankerKiller said:

Or better yet multiple versions. With the clear nose, and the gun ship nose. Honestly I believe the B-25 is the best fit for a bomber in DCS. It could be used with the maps we have, and especially will have soon. And it was used against more tactical targets, troop encampments, railroad yards, supply depots, fuel storage areas, and airbases. With multi crew, AI crew members, and AI gunners all being a thing now, the time is right. 

I'm with you on this but we need the Hornet I want to recreate the Doolittle raid 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was ready to make the same thread myself, but yeah the B-25 is a great idea, not only is it a shut-up-and-take-my-money module if full fidelity for me, but it seems like a logical next step for DCS. We fairly recently got the first set of radial engine planes modeled wonderfully. Then we got the first twin in the form of the Mosquito. Next up: twin radial. And in the far future assuming it is executed well it may open the possibility for larger and more complex bombers from the era. Where the sim is right now and the developers experience this seems like the next sort of healthy challenge, the next rung in the ladder toward things like the B-17 or B-29 someday.

But back to my main point, as mentioned by others, the B-25 served in most theaters and was super versatile. That is important because having such a module developed gives each potential buyer more reasons to consider it (think F-18s popularity), whereas if they went for the B-26 there is a lot of scenarios of combat and gameplay where it just would not be able to do anything. 

The B-25 as far as I'm aware had all kinds of weapons; forward facing guns, bombs(obviously), parachute bombs, rockets, flares, and even torpedo's as well.

First variant:

landscape_profile_profile_N27493.jpg

I 100% think the B-25J-NC should be highest priority as it was the most produced and the most iconic to my eyes. It should feature the glass nose and while it is not the one used in the Doolittle raid, we could perhaps larp on the essex carrier coming out with the F4U.

Second variant:

landscape_profile_Profile_B-25_N9643C.jp

and guess what? its in many ways the same one, a B-25J-30-NC. This one pictured still flies and I had the pleasure of crawling around in it once. Should make it an easier project given the commonality between the two for the devs.

Other variants:

While the earlier versions of the aircraft did serve more in Europe and with the USSR they were not nearly as widely produced. I would be interested in firing the 75mm cannon from one, but those versions of the aircraft had some slight differences in the shape of the vertical stabilizers/rudders, and empennage that would make them a more laborious task for the devs, so I won't push as hard for those, not that they aren't cool.

Lastly: 

Since there are many surviving examples of these today, it seems like it may be possible to utilize that fancy scanning technology that is being used to develop the F4u's interior. Overall this plane is something I have felt would be an excellent idea. If done well it could make the whole WW2 aspect of the game much more developed and enticing. Perhaps we will already be seeing this soon with the corsair, another versatile aircraft. If so I hope developers take that hint and move forward with this specifically, and not something else like it because IMHO the B-25 is the best thing that can happen after the F4U for previously stated reasons. If any developer/company would take up this as a project it seems very realistically achievable and like it would be massively beneficial.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...