Reshade 6.0 gets native support for OpenXr

speed-of-heat

4 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

Thanks for the tips, I use TechniColor2 and it is amazing!

great i need to test it tonight.

Technicolor is something you only need to activate in reshade or do we have to set specific values for that. if so, what are the settings you find the best?

thanks

I guess since I use MultiLUT also, it improves the green channel. I need to look at my setting and post it here later.

Update:

LumaSharpen
normal

MultiLUT
Color4

Technicolor 2

Before:

before.jpg

After:

after.jpg

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

In the G2 VR it was quite a difference at just defaults, for me anyway, all colors are much better, bluer sky, greener grass, reds... clouds...  everything got much crisper, and brighter. Terrain below looked more look the monitor for clarity. I did turn on LumaSharpen too at defaults. Then after that put in VRPerfKit_FFR set to CAS, using Speed-of-heat's settings from his prior post, and better Framerate. This is the best I have seen it in VR so far for sure.

Now wondering about the <VR Shaders Mod for better performance> option...

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

when i try to activate multilut

reshade says "some textures failed to load v_textmultilut.

as i am a noob with reshade, anyone has an idea?

FYI i use vr shaders mod 2.7.917830

also vrperfkit

also shadow reduced frame rate impact

thanks

Edited by Tony86

Ok, I'm too stupid!
When I want to install reshade, it asks me for the game I'm installing reshade for. But DCS is not displayed.
Should I then browse to DCS or select OpenVRSettings?

I canˋt find any installation guide 

Edit: Sorry, I have already found the solution

Edited by A.F.

FXAA and SMAA seem to be working in 5.0.2.  They don't do much at default settings but they do something.   If you play around with em they do more.  

Just messing around with FXAA or SMAA, I can get things looking eeeeehhhhh a little better on the caucasus map at a 1ms cost.  Presently testing it on the NTTR map, which is a much tougher task.  There's a lot of tweaking to do.   

VRToolkit is worth a look.  A suite of basic effects that has been pre-tweaked. 

Color in sky Prussian blue, scarlet fleece changes hue, crimson ball sinks from view:  ReShade is pretty much the bomb. 

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Excuse my question.
When I try to save the settings in Reshade, this message appears:

Unable to save current preset. Make shure you have write permissens to …/Dcs World openbeta/bin/test1.ins.

What should I do?

In the settings for the test1.ini in the bin folder I have set the setting "full access".

Edited by A.F.

Though I rarely install anything under c:/program files../ unless I have too, I saw it mentioned that having DCS under there can be problematic if you have it there.

• Like 1

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

On 2/6/2022 at 5:55 AM, speed-of-heat said:

so i'm still in flux on this... and i dont have hard numbers so this is all "it feels good to me at the moment" (YMMV, Caveat Emptor, etc...)  and understand that this only works on the fork of vrperftoolkit for DCS  as that supports (kludges in) FFR for DCS. Renderscale 1.0, Sharpness 0.0 , radius 0.7 (not sure this has an impact with what comes in a while)  applyMipBias true.  FixedFoveated true, inner 0.6 , mid 0.8, outer 1.0.  I'm running my G2 at 100% and forced motion smoothing ... 

Hey Speed, to clarify - you bumped the G2 up from 80% to 100% in SteamVR? Is this not killing your performance strictly because of the VRtoolkit? Also, have you updated your best settings page (or plan to) with additions of this Reshader thing? We have similar specs and I have my DCS mirroring you, so I will likely add the Reshade as well if you are going to stick with it 😄

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

On 3/13/2022 at 9:37 AM, DeltaMike said:

VRToolkit is worth a look.  A suite of basic effects that has been pre-tweaked.

Any help or guide on this? I install the VRTK but it overrides everything.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

5 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

Any help or guide on this? I install the VRTK but it overrides everything.

I use it by itself, from within the reshade framework.  Looks ok with default settings, when i get home in a few days I'll share mine

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

On 3/15/2022 at 3:23 PM, DeltaMike said:

I use it by itself, from within the reshade framework.  Looks ok with default settings, when i get home in a few days I'll share mine

Could you clarify this? I want to try VRTK + Reshade 5.0 after the next update hits (hopefully today, looking at you Apache...) and just want to make sure I install everything correctly. Would it be: 

1.  Install Kegets Clear Water Shaders

2. Install Reshade 5.0

3. Install VRTK, change .dll name 

Or would it be another order? 

12 minutes ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

Could you clarify this? I want to try VRTK + Reshade 5.0 after the next update hits (hopefully today, looking at you Apache...) and just want to make sure I install everything correctly. Would it be: 

1.  Install Kegets Clear Water Shaders

2. Install Reshade 5.0

3. Install VRTK, change .dll name 

Or would it be another order? 

Reshade 5.0.2 has its own installer. You just have to point it to DCS.  Figure out where you installed DCS, look under "bin" and you'll find the executable there. Make sure you have write permissions in that folder.  

As part of the setup process you'll have the option to install vrtk.  Easiest and most fun option is to install everything.

Among other things, reshade will give you an icon on your steam VR console. That's the only way to make it work in VR. All your effects will be listed in the reshade "settings.". Scroll down to the bottom, VRTK should be there.  Check that and check "performance mode" to activate the effect.  Uncheck performance mode to tweak the effect.  When you're done, hit "performance mode" again to turn it back on.  

Hot keys don't seem to be working in VR at the moment so it's a little cumbersome.  

You can re-run the setup program to modify or delete reshade. You want a backup of your ini file in case a DCS update requires re-install.  If you want to move the whole operation over to your mod manager, read the instructions for "manual uninstall" for your list of files and folders.  

It really is that easy. 

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

Reshade 5.0.2 has its own installer. You just have to point it to DCS.  Figure out where you installed DCS, look under "bin" and you'll find the executable there. Make sure you have write permissions in that folder.  

As part of the setup process you'll have the option to install vrtk.  Easiest and most fun option is to install everything.

Among other things, reshade will give you an icon on your steam VR console. That's the only way to make it work in VR. All your effects will be listed in the reshade "settings.". Scroll down to the bottom, VRTK should be there.  Check that and check "performance mode" to activate the effect.  Uncheck performance mode to tweak the effect.  When you're done, hit "performance mode" again to turn it back on.  

Hot keys don't seem to be working in VR at the moment so it's a little cumbersome.  

You can re-run the setup program to modify or delete reshade. You want a backup of your ini file in case a DCS update requires re-install.  If you want to move the whole operation over to your mod manager, read the instructions for "manual uninstall" for your list of files and folders.  

It really is that easy. 

Ah ok, I didn't realize that toolkit was incorporated into Reshade so it can be a "one stop shop". Thanks

Huh? It is working!

Does Rashade 5.0.2 still work after the DCS update?
And is there anything I need to keep in mind when updating Reshade?
I read somewhere that mods no longer work after the update.
Reshade 5.0.2 still works fine. A number of mods that rely on modified shaders however do not. A number of the mod authors have already updated there's to work with the latest OB

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

3 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

Does the new release of VRPERFKIT from Folger negate the need for the forked version from cedriclmenard/vrperfkit: VR Performance Toolkit (github.com) now? 

Hi I haven't tried it yet. But when I look at his Github I see the following, so I guess it is not fully implemented yet.

Planned mods:

• "Fixed foveated" rendering (render fewer pixels at the edges of the screen)
    • Radial Density Masking (all GPUs, but works only with a handful of games)
  • Force hidden area mask: don't render pixels at the edges that are not visible in the headset. Many games already use this mask, but not all. This mod will allow you to force its usage.

Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

^Are you looking for this thread?

Apologies if this is too basic for ya,  but perhaps worth reviewing the terminology, which is getting a bit confusing -- 

VR Performance Kit -- fholger's scaling application for Steam VR, that improves performance at the cost (theoretically) of image quality.  (Not much!)

VR Tool Kit -- A utility included in ReShade that makes things look better in VR.  It costs performance. (Not much!)

Shader effects (like ReShade) work at the level of Steam to improve appearance.  For example, the shade of colors displayed.  (But also contrast, special effects, and even anti-aliasing).  Costs a few milliseconds.  So far, seems stable and easy to use, but it's still pretty new. 

Shader mods (like the Kegetys mod) work at the level of DCS to change certain textures, to improve performance.  Saves a bunch of milliseconds.   These have been around forever, and people swear by these things but they are a lot of work to maintain.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

^Are you looking for this thread?

Apologies if this is too basic for ya,  but perhaps worth reviewing the terminology, which is getting a bit confusing -- 

VR Performance Kit -- fholger's scaling application for Steam VR, that improves performance at the cost (theoretically) of image quality.  (Not much!)

VR Tool Kit -- A utility included in ReShade that makes things look better in VR.  It costs performance. (Not much!)

Shader effects (like ReShade) work at the level of Steam to improve appearance.  For example, the shade of colors displayed.  (But also contrast, special effects, and even anti-aliasing).  Costs a few milliseconds.  So far, seems stable and easy to use, but it's still pretty new. 

Shader mods (like the Kegetys mod) work at the level of DCS to change certain textures, to improve performance.  Saves a bunch of milliseconds.   These have been around forever, and people swear by these things but they are a lot of work to maintain.  

Thanks for the explanation! FHolger calls it VR Performance Toolkit. It could be confusing, that's for sure. Am using mods on all layers to squeeze out every last milisecond of frametime.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 3/15/2022 at 1:34 PM, DirtyMike0330 said:

Hey Speed, to clarify - you bumped the G2 up from 80% to 100% in SteamVR? Is this not killing your performance strictly because of the VRtoolkit? Also, have you updated your best settings page (or plan to) with additions of this Reshader thing? We have similar specs and I have my DCS mirroring you, so I will likely add the Reshade as well if you are going to stick with it 😄

That's correct

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

So, not sure if I have utilized all the mods properly, in terms of not conflicting or stepping on each other's toes, but I did a complete clean and repair of DCS and then added:

1. Reshade 5.2, utilizing:

• Lumasharp at 1.5
  • Vibrance at default
  • VRToolkit at default with sharpening disabled

2. Fholgers VRPerfkit v3.0 with CAS 8.0 render, 0.0 sharpening, .07 radius

3. Simplex shaders

4. Game settings as shown in attached screenshot

SteamVR 100%, CRM 100%

On a low level F18 free flight instant mission (Caucasus), I got the following without motion smoothing:

fpsVR Report:
App: DCS HMD: HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset G20 (90.001 Hz, IPD 65.2)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (30.0.15.1215, Tavg 55.3, Tmax 61) CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor (Tavg 68.9, Tmax 80)
Delivered fps: 83.91  Duration: 11.2min. Headset was active: 100%
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 4.9 ms
99th percentile: 12.5 ms
99.9th percentile: 16.2 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 84%
CPU frametime:
Median: 1.5 ms
99th percentile: 13.8 ms
99.9th percentile: 16.6 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 96.3%
Reprojection Ratio: 6.6% (for Index/Vive/VivePro headsets only)
Dropped frames: 19 or 0.0% (for Index/Vive/VivePro headsets only)
Max. SteamVR SS: 100%
Render resolution per eye: 3156x3088(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 3157x3088)

On a low level F18 free flight instant mission (Caucasus), I got the following with motion smoothing:

fpsVR Report:
App: DCS HMD: HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset G20 (90.001 Hz, IPD 65.2)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (30.0.15.1215, Tavg 54.9, Tmax 61) CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor (Tavg 70.4, Tmax 80)
Delivered fps: 44.78  Duration: 2.2min. Headset was active: 100%
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 12.4 ms
99th percentile: 14.6 ms
99.9th percentile: >30 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 28.3%
CPU frametime:
Median: 9.1 ms
99th percentile: 16.6 ms
99.9th percentile: >30 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 87.6%
Reprojection Ratio: 3.6% (for Index/Vive/VivePro headsets only)
Dropped frames: 0 or 0.0% (for Index/Vive/VivePro headsets only)
Max. SteamVR SS: 100%
Render resolution per eye: 3156x3088(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 3157x3088)

Everything looked good to me, I'm not sure if my combination of mods conflict with each other or not, or if there is anything I should be setting differently, I'd certainly appreciate any input. I also probably didn't keep the testing parameters tight enough, but it was probably the best performance I've seen with DCS in VR to be honest. With motion smoothing on, I don't think my GPU or CPU frame times jumped past 14ms at any point, even when I was on the deck. 

So, yeah, I don't know if it is Reshade, one of the other mods, or all of them combined, but I am generally happy with the numbers at this point. 

settings.jpg

Edited by DirtyMike0330

Not sure I follow the logic in using fholger mod here.  You should be able to drive the G2 at native resolution and have plenty left over, with fewer jaggies.  

I'd ditch VRTK and try SMAA with default settings and predication turned on. Compare that to msaa and see which one you like better

Match tree vis to vis range. You should be about 70-80%.  Bump up your gamma a little.  Dunno what to tell you about clouds,. What do you think?

I like lumasharpen a lot. A little of that goes a long way.  Color and contrast to suit, done

Try this.  100/100/1.0, native res.  SMAA first, sharpening filter next, color last. MSAA off.  Vegas and Dubai should look ok, everything else will look great, spotting will be maximized and your rig should be fast as stink. I can do that in my rig, and it runs. Yours should fly. 

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 1