Reshade 6.0 gets native support for OpenXr

speed-of-heat

On 2/2/2022 at 7:42 AM, ShaunX said:

There is an ini file called test1.ini in my version, which just implements VR_CAS_Color.fx with the sharpening settings I was using in Holgar's version but you can obviously just delete it or change its settings in the interface or edit the ini itself.

@ShaunX I notice in the other files for other reshade and variants there is always a ReShadePreset.ini, would i just rename your test1.ini to that to use as is, or ?

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

5 hours ago, johnbowzer said:

@ShaunX I notice in the other files for other reshade and variants there is always a ReShadePreset.ini, would i just rename your test1.ini to that to use as is, or ?

Doesn't matter what it's called, you just need one to hold your preset parms. You can actually define multiple versions of it from the overlay to hold different parmsets.

I wouldn't just rename it though. It's referenced in ReShade.ini  - "PresetPath=.\test1.ini"

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

10 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Any tangible advantage for this Quest2 user?

First of all, you will need to fly in SteamVR

To me, the benefits are:

ReShade: adjust colour and contrast, provide some sharpening, at the expense of some frame time

I also use:

OpenVR FSR: give you some more frame rate and extra sharpening

3DMiGoto: cockpit and external sharpening, flat shadow removal, NVG tuning and most important of all fix the frame rate drop at the cluster bomb scene.

VR Neck Safer: give the HWD more like TrackIR in terms of the ability of check-six.

Usual disclaimer: ymmv.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Hey guys, did anyone found a real good reason to switch to 5.0 over the good old cas sharpen color? I was really looking forward to get better performance/visual but right now it doesnt really feels like a improvement (luma sharpen/vibrance) either perf or visual. Getting some weird fps drop also. Well I know it can be caused by 50 difference things, Im just not that impress.

I just cant find a way to be 100% lock at 45hz with my g2 and its driving me crazy. Still getting sudden 20fps drop online which are resolve by unfocus the game for 8/10 second and coming back... As a simracer those inconsistancy in frametime are really playing with my nerve haha.

so for me, i'm using CAS sharpening in the VR performance toolkit, which means i only really reshade for colour enhancement

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Reshade also has the "AMD Contrast Adaptive Sharpening", is it different from the VR Performance Toolkit

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

Reshade also has the "AMD Contrast Adaptive Sharpening", is it different from the VR Performance Toolkit

yes very, or not depending on your point of view, there is no upscaling in reshades CAS, where as the CAS in the VR toolkit does do upscaling.. use sharpening in one place... I use CAS in vrperftoolkit with FRR and it is virtually shimmer free

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

10 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

yes very, or not depending on your point of view, there is no upscaling in reshades CAS, where as the CAS in the VR toolkit does do upscaling.. use sharpening in one place... I use CAS in vrperftoolkit with FRR and it is virtually shimmer free

Will have to give this combo a try, i.e Reshade for colour enhancement only and vrpeftoolkit for upscaling and sharpening. Are you still using 0.2 for sharpening, and method CAS? @speed-of-heat

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

17 minutes ago, zildac said:

Will have to give this combo a try, i.e Reshade for colour enhancement only and vrpeftoolkit for upscaling and sharpening. Are you still using 0.2 for sharpening, and method CAS? @speed-of-heat

so i'm still in flux on this... and i dont have hard numbers so this is all "it feels good to me at the moment" (YMMV, Caveat Emptor, etc...)  and understand that this only works on the fork of vrperftoolkit for DCS  as that supports (kludges in) FFR for DCS. Renderscale 1.0, Sharpness 0.0 , radius 0.7 (not sure this has an impact with what comes in a while)  applyMipBias true.  FixedFoveated true, inner 0.6 , mid 0.8, outer 1.0.  I'm running my G2 at 100% and forced motion smoothing ... 

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

so i'm still in flux on this... and i dont have hard numbers so this is all "it feels good to me at the moment" (YMMV, Caveat Emptor, etc...)  and understand that this only works on the fork of vrperftoolkit for DCS  as that supports (kludges in) FFR for DCS. Renderscale 1.0, Sharpness 0.0 , radius 0.7 (not sure this has an impact with what comes in a while)  applyMipBias true.  FixedFoveated true, inner 0.6 , mid 0.8, outer 1.0.  I'm running my G2 at 100% and forced motion smoothing ... 

Understood, thank you. So you're not doing any sharpening in vrpperftoolkit? (Sharpness 0.0)

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

7 minutes ago, zildac said:

Understood, thank you. So you're not doing any sharpening in vrpperftoolkit? (Sharpness 0.0)

no the sharpening is native inside CAS ...  0.0 just says leave it alone and let it do its thing.

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

no the sharpening is native inside CAS ...  0.0 just says leave it alone and let it do its thing.

Ah right, didn't realise that. Thanks for clarifying.

So I can ditch OpenVR FSR and use VRPK instead.

On the subject of Colour enhancement, have you tried using LUT's in Reshade ? These apply a pre-defined colour lookup table (LUT) at pretty much zero performance cost.

Try the attached MultiLUT.fx in Reshade's shaders folder and MultiLut_atlas1.png file in the textures folder.

You can then cycle through the included 17 colour presets provided in the atlas from the Reshade overlay

There are some quite extreme examples in the atlas but one or two of them look pretty good in DCS.

The point is that you can quite easily create your own LUT to use by taking a screenshot in DCS, overlaying it with the standard neutral LUT in an editor like photoshop (or the free online photopea), then alter the colour balance, contrast, vibrance etc of the screenshot to your liking and when you save the image again, that LUT will now hold the settings of that colour scheme and you can load that in Reshade.

Only played around with it a bit and I'm sure it will take a better artistic eye than mine to come up with colour balances that will improve different DCS terrains, but it does look like an interesting tool that might yield some visual improvements in the right hands with almost zero performance impact.

MultiLUT.fx

MultiLut_atlas1.png.REMOVE

(Delete the ".REMOVE" from the filename. I just added it to prevent the image from displaying here)

There's an excellent vid explaining LUT creation, either from within the game or from a screenshot in an image editor (which looks like the easier method to me)..

How to create your own Luts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

I use the LUT based on recommendations from others but I am not sure what it does. Your post helps a lot. Thanks!

Edit: also, which dxgi.dll should I use, this or the one comes with VRPK?

Edited by VFGiPJP

35 minutes ago, schurem said:

BloomingHDR is good as well. Beatiful!

Where can I find this?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For me the combination Reshade 5.0 and forked foveated vrperfkit works great. Happy with the visuals and the performance in VR. 

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 2/22/2022 at 1:09 PM, Ready said:

For me the combination Reshade 5.0 and forked foveated vrperfkit works great. Happy with the visuals and the performance in VR. 

On a cleaned up install I am going  to push these in with modmanfx and try it... and was wondering if most are also using keygetys VR Shaders mod as well?

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

On 2/28/2022 at 12:05 AM, johnbowzer said:

On a cleaned up install I am going  to push these in with modmanfx and try it... and was wondering if most are also using keygetys VR Shaders mod as well?

I am using it. 

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 2/22/2022 at 3:09 PM, Ready said:

can you possibly point me to the "forked foveated vrperfkit" ?  I found the regular one on github, but where can I find the forked one?

• Thanks 1

Been playing around with the Reshade just by itself... LumaSharpen, etc. Has anyone played around with the Technicolor2.fx... gives some more color and brightness, seems to give more clarity. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johnbowzer said:

Been playing around with the Reshade just by itself... LumaSharpen, etc. Has anyone played around with the Technicolor2.fx... gives some more color and brightness, seems to give more clarity. 

Thanks for the tips, I use TechniColor2 and it is amazing!