Running the updater without launching the game?

Voyager

Is there a way to run the DCS updater such that it checks for updates but does not launch the game itself? 

Sometimes I've got times when I can run big updates in the background, and it would be nice to be able to do that, without the game also firing up all of my VR stuff and loading everything up. 

Thank you, 

Harry Voyager

8 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Is there a way to run the DCS updater such that it checks for updates but does not launch the game itself? 

yes, look here:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Sometimes I've got times when I can run big updates in the background, and it would be nice to be able to do that, without the game also firing up all of my VR stuff and loading everything up. 

Thank you, 

Harry Voyager

You might check in the Eagle Dynamics folder of your Start menu to see if you have an icon for this. When I installed DCS it created such an "update" icon. I have one for the Release version and one for OpenBeta.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

^ Ditto. One of the ED shortcuts in Start Menu launches updater in update-only mode. Or you can just run the updater directly yourself, it's stored in the bin folder (dcs_updater.exe).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

6 hours ago, sthompson said:

You might check in the Eagle Dynamics folder of your Start menu to see if you have an icon for this. When I installed DCS it created such an "update" icon. I have one for the Release version and one for OpenBeta.

This
Upon installation DCS creates a start menu shortcut for the DCS updater that updates the game without launching it.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 3:13 AM, QuiGon said:

This
Upon installation DCS creates a start menu shortcut for the DCS updater that updates the game without launching it.

I see now. I was running the updater from the directory, but the shortcut runs it with the "update" flag. 

If it is run without the flag it launches DCS. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voyager said:

I see now. I was running the updater from the directory, but the shortcut runs it with the "update" flag. 

If it is run without the flag it launches DCS. 

Indeed, that's how it works. :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

TL;DR:

Run DCS w/o update check: "...\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe"

Run update w/o starting DCS afterwards: "...\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update

And one I also have is for running DCS in pancake mode with VR normally enabled: "...\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg