Is it possible to reduce the size of the image displayed on the HUD?

SMN
Go to solution Solved by Rainmaker,

With approximately the same FOV (real and in DCS) is such a big difference in the size of the image displayed on the HUD!
I play with a FOV close to the real one... about 50 degrees.

I understand that few play with real FOV in DCS. And if you make the image size on the HUD close to the real one, then at high FOV the image will be very small...
But maybe can change something in the files to reduce the image?

FA-18C_Real.png       FA-18C_DCS.png

• Like 1

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

I'm not saying it doesn't read well! I wish it were closer to reality.
And - if the FOV, as I have (about 50 degrees), I move the virtual chair back - then half of the information on the HUD becomes unavailable! (Like picture)
So I have to "poke" my nose in the HUD

FA-18C_DCS_2.png

Edited by SMN
  • Like 1

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

• Solution
6 hours ago, SMN said:

With approximately the same FOV (real and in DCS) is such a big difference in the size of the image displayed on the HUD!
I play with a FOV close to the real one... about 50 degrees.

I understand that few play with real FOV in DCS. And if you make the image size on the HUD close to the real one, then at high FOV the image will be very small...
But maybe can change something in the files to reduce the image?

FA-18C_Real.png       FA-18C_DCS.png

Your viewing of the ‘real’ HUD image is distorted. The is a picture taken with the camera close to the HUD. That’s exactly what it’s supposed to do. HUD symbology will change with FOV in order to maintain focus. There is nothing wrong with the DCS implementation, you are misinterpreting what the real HUD looks like. 

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 3

On 2/13/2022 at 8:25 PM, SMN said:

I'm not saying it doesn't read well! I wish it were closer to reality.
And - if the FOV, as I have (about 50 degrees), I move the virtual chair back - then half of the information on the HUD becomes unavailable! (Like picture)
So I have to "poke" my nose in the HUD

FA-18C_DCS_2.png

Did you try to move your in-game head Point of View closer to the HUD with RShft+RCtrl+ NP / or NP *? And then save it with RAlt+NP 0?

Then you can adjust your zoom level with NP / and NP *? With manually adjusting the FOV to 50°, you actually adjust the max "zoom out" level.

So I would first set the FOV to a greater value than 50° (guess you did it in the snapviews.lua?), then move your seat closer to the HUD, until every bit of the HUD symbology becomes visible all around, and then zoom the FOV back out.

HUD symbology "apparent size" and focus is set to infinity, so you can not change how big you see it in absolut terms, only in relative terms to the HUD frame size by moving your head closer to make the HUD frame "bigger", or move away to see the HUD frame smaller.

Edited by Razor18

• 10 months later...

The problem is that the main cockpit view perspective in the modules I own actually mimics the perspective of a wide angle lens pushed close to the HUD. You can see it in many videos recorded with gopro.That's the reason you see the inner sides of the HUD frame and the whole HUD  " V " shaped. It's distorted. This shows really badly with the F-16 but the Ka-50 is the same and the A-10.

But the human eye does not see it that way. The 50mm lens would be the closest perspective the way the human eye sees.

Unfortunately this is a major mistake I've been trying to tell the DCS team for years. It is very disturbing. Especially that I've presented them photos of a real    F-16 HUD taken with not wide angle lenses proving this.

Since a pilot sits in the cockpit I think it's fair to say that the perspective should be as a human eye sees not a camera lens. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2022 at 1:54 PM, Razor18 said:

Did you try to move your in-game head Point of View closer to the HUD with RShft+RCtrl+ NP / or NP *? And then save it with RAlt+NP 0?

Then you can adjust your zoom level with NP / and NP *? With manually adjusting the FOV to 50°, you actually adjust the max "zoom out" level.

What is "NP"?  The letters themselves?