OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

6 hours ago, edmuss said:

When WMRP opens a VR app the screen breaks into hundreds of triangles that then disperse, it's just a generic loading animation.  With open composite it does it twice concurrently before DCS loads.

You're still using steamvr for DCS, essentially open composite isn't hooking into the openVR runtimes so it's still starting up steamvr when requested.

With the runtime switcher running, set open compostie as the default runtime and that should prompt it to hook into openVR files.

image.png

When you have run DCS and it's hooked in once you can hit the configure button and it will bring up a list of VR apps that have been hooked into and you can set a specific runtime for each one as needed.

Delete the d3dcompiler from the DCS/bin folder (or cut it out to a backup location) and open composite should then open up as I described.  If you still get the -2 error then try deleting the compiler again, DCS seems to be able to ressurect it occasionally.

Alright, everything seems to be coming together. It opened exactly as you described.

Thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Did you delete or rename the dll...

D3DCompiler_47.dll 

From dcs

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

6 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Did you delete or rename the dll...

D3DCompiler_47.dll 

From dcs

Yeah. I got it working, i missed a step so when i did it the first time i didnt choose to delete excess files in the repair/clean stage. Did everything all over again but this time i checked that option like the tutorial says and now it works. I suppose just normal repair i did wasn't enough. Now it works and all is good!

Edited by Grodin
  • Like 2

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

On 3/17/2022 at 10:33 AM, nikoel said:
  • Run OpenComposite.exe (A small number people reported that they needed to right click 'run as Admin')

@nikoel That's because the application requires write permissions to its own directory where it stores its config. If it's extracted to Program Files, it cannot write to that directory.

But better solution than to run it as admin is to grant those write permissions manually

sUcR6.png

or simply extract it to somewhere else.

Hi guys,

I am on DCS OB on Steam with an Oculus Quest 2.

I followed the guide and everything was working fine until I encountered a crash with steamVR and I had to reinstall steam because it wasn't launching anymore basically.

Now DCS is not working properly. Initially it was running steamVR. Now I did a reinstall of the WMRP and OpenComposite and it is now launching without steamVR but in windowed mode this time...

It might be related or not idk but when I try to launch another VR game (e.g. beat saber) I get an error code -35 (see picture)

Thanks for the help.

2022-07-21_00-08.png

Edited by Koros

3 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Better solution still don't install dcs in program files...

Even better... convert over to standalone install.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

4 hours ago, Sr. said:

Even better... convert over to standalone install.

I don't use steam...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Just now, speed-of-heat said:

I don't use steam...

Roger... I was adding to your solution.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

After updating DCS today, and performing a repair, the file D3DCompiler_47.dll was not there.  I always delete it after an update/repair.  One less thing to do now!

i7 12700K,   RTX 4090,  MSI Z690 Carbon WiFi,  32GB x 2  DDR5 5200Mhz Ram,   Windows 11,    DCS Stand alone,   OpenXR Toolkit,   Pimax Crystal,   Thrustmaster Viper Stick with RealSimulator  FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra Base,    Winwing Orion 2 10th Anniversary with F-16EX Throttle Grip,    Virpil ACE Interceptor Pedals

19 hours ago, Koros said:

Hi guys,

I am on DCS OB on Steam with an Oculus Quest 2.

I followed the guide and everything was working fine until I encountered a crash with steamVR and I had to reinstall steam because it wasn't launching anymore basically.

Now DCS is not working properly. Initially it was running steamVR. Now I did a reinstall of the WMRP and OpenComposite and it is now launching without steamVR but in windowed mode this time...

It might be related or not idk but when I try to launch another VR game (e.g. beat saber) I get an error code -35 (see picture)

Thanks for the help.

2022-07-21_00-08.png

I found on the discord server that error -35 means the headset is not detected. In my case what it meant was Oculus was not set as the default openXR runtime. Just go to the oculus app on your PC and set it as default. In my case it's now working fine with beat saber, will try DCS when the update is complete.

It also explains why DCS was launching in 2D windowed mode.

Edited by Koros

On 7/20/2022 at 9:57 AM, Youda said:

@nikoel That's because the application requires write permissions to its own directory where it stores its config. If it's extracted to Program Files, it cannot write to that directory.

But better solution than to run it as admin is to grant those write permissions manually

sUcR6.png

or simply extract it to somewhere else.

I mean yeah that will work...  but please don't do that.  This is a windows security feature that you're breaking :).

I mean I get it...  there's LOTS of other security "windows" in windows...  but still...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

11 minutes ago, netizensmith said:

Current front page instructions do not tell you to download openvr_api.dll and copy it to your DCE/bin folder, but you need to do this. I did a page search for openvr_api to make sure I wasn't going blind.

This is not the case, there is no need to copy anything to the bin folder if you've implemented the open composite switcher correctly.

• Like 4

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

13 hours ago, M1Combat said:

I mean yeah that will work...  but please don't do that.  This is a windows security feature that you're breaking :).

@M1Combat Breaking? What exactly am i breaking? I'm merely using it. Granting application that one privilege it needs is much better practice than running it as admin (and thus granting it ALL possible privileges).

2 hours ago, Grodin said:

How does this compare to the vr performance kit (GitHub - fholger/vrperfkit: VR Performance Toolkit) that has working FSR, they can't be used at the same time? Is one better than the other?

The upscaling in openxr toolkit is comparable in performance with regard to the upscaling applied by vrperfkit, however the additional benefits across the board are so much more that it's not comparing apples for apples 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Hi guys I was on here a few weeks ago with a mouse issue that some how just fixed itself (idk, black magic or something) anyhow, I cant get steamVR to stop launching since the new update... Now I knew to go in and check to remove the D3D file in the bin. idk why but there was nothing there. next i went to open composite and set DCS to "always use open composite". 

I run OpenXR, Open composite, and toolkit. Then, i start DCS and then open WMR. everything works fine for about 10 seconds and then steamVR kicks on. in WMR settings run steam is NOT ticked so thats not the issue here. its only when DCS starts up, SteamVR runs too. Its driving me crazy 

any ideas? thanks for your help 

-S 

There's no need to have the openxr tools or open composite running in the background, you only need WMRP; I would recommend having WMRP running before starting up DCS.
I would do a full repair and slow clean of DCS, change DCS back to steamvr in the open composite switcher and then back to openxr.  Delete the d3dcompiler if need be.

Where is your DCS installed and where have you saved the open composite switcher app?

7 hours ago, Grodin said:

How does this compare to the vr performance kit (GitHub - fholger/vrperfkit: VR Performance Toolkit) that has working FSR, they can't be used at the same time? Is one better than the other?

They can't be used at the same time no, because they would be trying to do the same thing with regards to FSR. In terms of performance I didn't find any difference between one or the other, but the fact you can easily tweak everything in-game with a menu, and the fact that OpenXR Toolkit has a number of other options, probably make it the better option overall.

On 7/19/2022 at 6:30 PM, Grodin said:

Hey guys. Been trying to get this to work. Everything works OK with steamvr but when i choose opencomposite for DCS i cant get it started.

Capture.JPG

Same here man. This is so frustrating. I've done a full repair, deleted additional files, and the error message changed from the one you have to this one. I'm just gonna switch back to SteamVR at this point...

image.png

Edited by moolox

10 hours ago, Youda said:

@M1Combat Breaking? What exactly am i breaking? I'm merely using it. Granting application that one privilege it needs is much better practice than running it as admin (and thus granting it ALL possible privileges).

You're setting the permissions for that folder to allow any app that's currently installed or will be installed in the future...  by you or by some malicious website or malware...  to have write permissions to that folder.  Sure if nothing goes wrong then you're fine... but it's a security feature.  It's a small one...  but it is one.  Giving all users write access is less than optimal.  Running a known trusted program as admin (or setting it to always run as admin if you like) is a much better solution.

Do what you will with the info.  I agree it's unlikely that you'll ever suffer the consequences of doing that...  but now you can :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)