OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

it was on discord and gitlab that znixian had committed the jabbah changes 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Is the new openvr_api.dll behind this link (see picture)?

How do i know which version it is? There is no version / date information anywhere. It's missing in the file properties as well.

openvr.jpg

Edited by Sile

I've looked at the github and the discord developer chat etc. Whilst code has been committed from Jabbah, there is nothing to suggest it is ready for general use. Perhaps I've missed some chat where they have said something like.... code is ready for release, we will release a build shortly...  For now, just looks like a code checkin to me and nothing to suggest it's been tested for release.

24 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

it was on discord and gitlab that znixian had committed the jabbah changes 

Ok... I somehow got it to run. Lots more options now (have yet to mess with them).

I started by making a copy of my current OvGME OXR063 folder. 

Downloaded the new 64bit.dll https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64&branch=openxr to the new folder copy.

Toggled off the current OXR063 folder inside OvGME

Toggled the new copy on, ran DCS... got an error referring to line to in OpenComposite.ini

Went in to DCS bin and deleted that file.

Restarted DCS and I can now see the new menu options in the GUI. One in particular was for shadows, more color tuning, and one called shades or sunglasses... seem to control contrast/brightness.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Yeah the opencomposite.ini that was used in Jabbah's version has terms not found in the main branch ... does it run OK without it?  (I'm not gonna have access to my rig for a couple of weeks)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

9 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

Yeah the opencomposite.ini that was used in Jabbah's version has terms not found in the main branch ... does it run OK without it?  (I'm not gonna have access to my rig for a couple of weeks)

Seems to... I can confirm the vibrance, saturation and "sunglasses" options work.

Looks like it might augment or replace a few of the settings of 3DMigoto.

There's now an additional "CPU bound" table under the Developer counter (fps etc), which will immediately display any change. I saw it kick in while glancing back toward Vegas in the FA-18 free flight mission.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Sr.:

Ok... I somehow got it to run. Lots more options now (have yet to mess with them).

Downloaded the new 64bit.dll https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64&branch=openxr to the new folder copy.

Toggled the new copy on, ran DCS... got an error referring to line to in OpenComposite.ini

Restarted DCS and I can now see the new menu options in the GUI. One in particular was for shadows, more color tuning, and one called shades or sunglasses... seem to control contrast/brightness.

The menu changes come from the new openxr toolkit version 1.1.0 and not the new opencomposite version.

There is no menu in opencomposite.

Edited by Sile

You can use the opencomposite.ini from your old package. You will need to comment out (put a ; at the start of the line using notepad) the line with "mirrorMode" and the line with "enableHiddenMeshFix". Then it will run.

45 minutes ago, Sile said:

Is the new openvr_api.dll behind this link (see picture)?

How do i know which version it is? There is no version / date information anywhere. It's missing in the file properties as well.

openvr.jpg

Yes

• Like 1

Just now, Sile said:

The menu changes come from the new openxr toolkit version 1.1.0 and not the new opencomposite version.

There is no menu in opencomposite.

Cool... I had also updated Toolkit earlier. 

--Arthur C Clark

I have the latest everything (OpenXR, Toolkit etc) and it works

I no longer use Jabbah's fork, and instead utilised the official install of OpenComponsite above 

Not sure what your %PATH% is so can not help you. The file goes into the bin folder as always 

so download the 64 bit version from https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64

and the current D3DCompiler_47.dll, can be copied from C:\Windows\system32  (it needs to be local or it errors)

opencomposite.ini  needs to be:

;Mirror mode outputs a shared texture for use by OBS plugin
; mirrorMode=disabled

;Performance stats enables writing of performance stats
; If enabled press F11 to start stats capture to file
; File is currently output to \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assetto Corsa Competizione\AC2\Binaries\Win64\teststats.csv
;performanceStats=disabled

;Hidden area mesh fix now is autogenerated you no longer need to put in manual values see changeling V0.6.1
enableHiddenMeshFix=enabled

;Use OpenXR layers to handle GUI overlays and HUDs, if set to false will render internally directly onto swap chain before submitting
enableLayers=true

forceConnectedTouch=disabled
renderCustomHands=disabled

and all to be installed into the \bin directory within the DCS main game install.

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

so download the 64 bit version from https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64
and the current D3DCompiler_47.dll, can be copied from C:\Windows\system32  (it needs to be local or it errors)
opencomposite.ini  needs to be:
;Mirror mode outputs a shared texture for use by OBS plugin; mirrorMode=disabled;Performance stats enables writing of performance stats; If enabled press F11 to start stats capture to file; File is currently output to \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assetto Corsa Competizione\AC2\Binaries\Win64\teststats.csv;performanceStats=disabled;Hidden area mesh fix now is autogenerated you no longer need to put in manual values see changeling V0.6.1enableHiddenMeshFix=enabled;Use OpenXR layers to handle GUI overlays and HUDs, if set to false will render internally directly onto swap chain before submittingenableLayers=trueforceConnectedTouch=disabledrenderCustomHands=disabled

and all to be installed into the \bin directory within the DCS main game install.

Good summary. I'm guessing at some point this will be posted to replace what's on the first page?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Wut?

I cleaned DCS super thoroughly as always

Downloaded the standalone OpenXR installer.

Unpacked and activated across the entire system

Dropped the extra file that is above into the folder and that was that

(I guess you can use the standalone [per game] installer as well)

58 minutes ago, ApacheLongbow said:

D3DCompiler_47.dll is Microsoft, so it's located at \system32. If you delete it from your DCS bin folder, the system will look for a new one from your "System Path" and replace it.

Do you use Oculus as well, and everything works, including the toolkit?

Why would I use Oculus? 

The D3D file above is the exact the same as the one provided by Jabbah in the latest release of his fork of OpenComposite 

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, nikoel said:

The D3D file above is the exact the same as the one provided by Jabbah in the latest release of his fork of OpenComposite 

the one i had had not commented out lines 2 and 7 which caused errors

16 hours ago, ApacheLongbow said:

image.png

Hello, I downloaded the new openvr_api.dll from the link below, uninstalled and reinstalled openxr toolkit but I'm getting the error above. Any ideas?

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr

at a guess you downloaded the 32bit version

4 minutes ago, ApacheLongbow said:

64bits.

Anyway, I give up, this whole project is big mess right now. The readmes are not updated, the files are all over the place and we're all taking different "languages".

Thanks for the help guys, I'll leave this for a later date.

A big reason I do not run Mods. This topic was opened in Mid March and is already 62 pages - for a quick start guide. Not to mention the other thread as well.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm still running open xr 0.63 from the first page. It's been working fine since.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I don't even have an opencomposite.ini file and mine works.

--Arthur C Clark

I took the last version I was using, 0.6.3, updated the 64 bit DLL with the current one.  Commented out the couple of lines in the ini file and installed the new version of the companion app v1.1.  Everything works just as it did before but I have the new options and motion reprojection seems (slightly) improved. 

I don't know if this official branch had MR changes / fixes or not.  So, the test I did could have been a one off.  I still get the shimmering when I fly through clouds.  With MR off though, it works just as well as before with no loss in performance.

The additional post process options for vibrance, highlight, saturation etc are nice.

Edited by Nightstorm

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Nightstorm:

I took the last version I was using, 0.6.3, updated the 64 bit DLL with the current one.  Commented out the couple of lines in the ini file and installed the new version of the companion app v1.1.  Everything works just as it did before but I have the new options and motion reprojection seems (slightly) improved. 

I don't know if this official branch had MR changes / fixes or not.  So, the test I did could have been a one off.  I still get the shimmering when I fly through clouds.  With MR off though, it works just as well as before with no loss in performance.

The additional post process options for vibrance, highlight, saturation etc are nice.

Followed the same path as you and everything still works.

The new options and post processing variants (Menu in Headset) were introduced by the recently updated OpenXR Toolkit 1.1.0 and not OpenComposite, though.
Just to avoid confusion.

And 0.6.3 from the front page guide should still work as well.

Edited by Sile
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dburne said:

A big reason I do not run Mods. This topic was opened in Mid March and is already 62 pages - for a quick start guide. Not to mention the other thread as well.

Perhaps it's 62 pages because you keep reminding us how you don't run any mods every page of this thread. The start guide is all entailed in the first page

The reason it didn't work for you is because you

a) Failed to follow instructions
b) Complained about it - by saying that I was assuming everyone is a programmer (ignoring that literally thousands of people were successful before you)
c) When you finally got it work, you instantly gave up because of colour saturation even though you could have easily dialled it up with 4 keypresses like everyone else
d) Cranky, set in your ways and stubborn 

This is not for everyone. Real issues with compatibility exist and being actively worked on. We are helping each other - however there is a strong correlation between competence and success. 

If you dedicated even half of your effort towards OpenXR that you do repeating the ol' phrase above you would had it running beautifully 

Jabbah, Mbuccia and so many other people have given up their time to help us. They are hugely talented and their time is infinitely valuable and they have spent it on helping us. M Bucchia works for Microsoft and his team in the early stages released a version for DCS. He didn't have to do this

This thread would not be 62 pages long if it was some useless piece of bloatware. If you look at any Hoggit VR post recently for WMR headsets, you will find OpenXR in there somewhere. Here I literally found one by not even scrolling the front page 

You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is crapping upon the people who have helped us. This is not right

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 7

This one got buried yesterday, but this is what I did to get the new "fork?" working.

First I ran the installer, not really knowing if that had done anything I went with manually installing.

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

14 minutes ago, Sr. said:

This one got buried yesterday, but this is what I did to get the new "fork?" working.

yep largely what i did, but i just corrected the errors in the ini file, and this works, i just can't get the generic installer to work, when i install the binaries to dcs\bin it works fine though