OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

If I'm >60fps/<16.6ms then it's butter smooth no matter what, this will be the same with >90fps/<11.1ms.

If the OXR performance overlay box is green you're above refresh rate and it's synced, if it's red then you're below and it's not synced.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

4 hours ago, edmuss said:

If I'm >60fps/<16.6ms then it's butter smooth no matter what, this will be the same with >90fps/<11.1ms.

If the OXR performance overlay box is green you're above refresh rate and it's synced, if it's red then you're below and it's not synced.

To get those kind of frame times I'm guessing you have to dial everything down quite a bit and/ or be flying at fairly high levels?

21 minutes ago, TED said:

To get those kind of frame times I'm guessing you have to dial everything down quite a bit and/ or be flying at fairly high levels?

A10C so not flying at high levels 😄

I can't reliably pull 90fps unless I run potato settings which really isn't why we're here!

With the following I can reliably pull 75fps on caucasus and 60+ on syria unless over cities.  OXR running at 90%, no upscaling with FFV on quality wide preset.

OpenComposite_DCS_20220414_234929.jpg

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

@edmuss whats your spec?

I think that Rprojection activated in OpenXR is not a good choice. If i enable is i go around 28-35 fps, if not im around 50-60 with my settings (nearly same as you but MSAA at 2, 1920*1080 and Civ Traffix low.

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

As per my signature, GPU is also overclocked which helps a bit.

Obviously these are GPU speeds in a low CPU load situation, if the CPU frametime goes up to much then it will start to drag the GPU down, can't avoid that at the moment.

57 minutes ago, Eisprinzessin said:

Puh, i cant see you sig ... why ever....

Forum settings -- signature -- view others' signatures

Pull  up the frame counter in OXR Toolkit Companion App, you can see what kind of overhead the companion app functions are adding. I'll bet it's not much.  

For now you should probably focus more on your frame times than FPS.  When you say your FPS is 28-35 with MR on, that means you're flipping between 22.5, 30, and 45 fps.  Mine does that too (in MSFS) and it drives me bonkers.  In OXR you get to pick which one you run at, and probably should to keep it from bouncing around.  

My theory is, you're getting frame time spikes that get averaged out when you have MR off but are gumming up the works when you have MR on.  On my rig, such things come from power saving schemes.   In my case,  (AMD system) Adrenaline doesn't do a very good job of that so I "corrected" it.  Seems like the NVIDIA drivers do a much better job in that regard. In your case I'd see what Windows is trying to do to save the whales at your expense, so you can "correct" that as well.

I imagine you'll want to get into BIOS and see what your CPU and GPU are doing.  Did you overclock your CPU? (you should)  Is it stable?  Is your RAM running at the right speed? (assuming that's even a thing for Intel chipsets) What do your thermals look like?  (I use Prime95 to test these things).   Same goes for your GPU in terms of overclocking and thermals.  At some point you might want to stress test your GPU (I use this) and do a VRAM check to make sure you didn't get a dud.  

Edmuss is undersampling, that's why he can run those settings.  You should be able to run the same settings in your rig at native resolution.  Pixel density should be 1.0 for both SVR and OXR, don't mess with that.  Assuming Steam global resolution is 100% and per-app resolution is 100%, and you aren't using FSR or NIS, then you should be able to run 100% in the OXR Tools and get roughly the same FPS numbers.  If any of those assumptions are incorrect, post up what you're doing, I'll do the math, edmuss will correct my math and you'll be off to the races.  

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

13 hours ago, edmuss said:

A10C so not flying at high levels 😄

I can't reliably pull 90fps unless I run potato settings which really isn't why we're here!

With the following I can reliably pull 75fps on caucasus and 60+ on syria unless over cities.  OXR running at 90%, no upscaling with FFV on quality wide preset.

OpenComposite_DCS_20220414_234929.jpg

Ah ok. Got it. I see you undersample too, which I don't. 

In a10c I get similar, but was referring more to apache, so mostly very low. In general I have good stable, smooth performance and timings, all at 45fps but won't get less than 20ms let alone anywhere close to 11ms for apache. 

I'd love to be able to get frame times down to allow me to run 90fps, but seems like a pipe dream in the dcs vr single core engine.

I'm not sure I'm following your method. You are getting 75fps in game with those setting but only 61fps showing in the screenshot of the menu. 

My menu page is never below 90fps, but in a mission it's of course drops. 

Edited by TED

30 minutes ago, TED said:

Ah ok. Got it. I see you undersample too, which I don't. 

In a10c I get similar, but was referring more to apache, so mostly very low. In general I have good stable, smooth performance and timings, all at 45fps but won't get less than 20ms let alone anywhere close to 11ms for apache. 

I'd love to be able to get frame times down to allow me to run 90fps, but seems like a pipe dream in the dcs vr single core engine.

I'm not sure I'm following your method. You are getting 75fps in game with those setting but only 61fps showing in the screenshot of the menu. 

75fps is based on the frametimes that I'm achieving, 13ms is 75ish fps. Obviously it's locked to 60/61 by the frame counter because my GPU is waiting for the refresh rate of 60hz. Therefore I have around 15fps GPU overhead before it starts getting janky with stutter.

I don't have the apache I'm afraid although I do know it's far more system intensive than other modules. I get the same sort of frametimes in the ka50 down in the trees.

I'm playing about the undersample, on Caucasus the default OXRDT resolution (62%ish) gives me close to 11ms, 75% gives me 12-13ms and 90% is currently giving me 14-15ms.

1 hour ago, Eisprinzessin said:

Puh, i cant see you sig ... why ever....

Ryzen 5 3600 with an all core overclock of 4.3ghz, 3070fe with +175 core and +1350 VRAM, 32gb cl16 DDR4 3600, reverb G2 with windows and DCS installed on an old Intel pcie nvme SSD.

Edited by edmuss

10 minutes ago, edmuss said:

75fps is based on the frametimes that I'm achieving, 13ms is 75ish fps. Obviously it's locked to 60/61 by the frame counter because my GPU is waiting for the refresh rate of 60hz. Therefore I have around 15fps GPU overhead before it starts getting janky with stutter.

I don't have the apache I'm afraid although I do know it's far more system intensive than other modules. I get the same sort of frametimes in the ka50 down in the trees.

I'm playing about the undersample, on Caucasus the default OXRDT resolution (62%ish) gives me close to 11ms, 75% gives me 12-13ms and 90% is currently giving me 14-15ms.

Ryzen 5 3600 with an all core overclock of 4.3ghz, 3070fe with +175 core and +1350 VRAM, 32gb cl16 DDR4 3600, reverb G2 with windows and DCS installed on an old Intel pcie nvme SSD.

Ah cool. Thanks. I forgot u use 60hz. 

Gives me a few things to try. There are so many different routes depending on what u want to achieve and thus on one of the big advantages of openxr. 

I'm playing with oversampling to get best possible image but keeping 45fps. That seems to be the sweet spot of compromise for me. I might try some of your combos as well just out of interest. 

FWIW at 120% resolution it looks amazing. 

Yeah I've used 120-150%, the clarity of text on the MFDs and HUD is addictive 😄

If I lock to 45fps using RTSS I can run 150% with high settings and it looks glorious but there is the slight desync of frames with head translations which I find more immersion breaking than keeping it above the refresh rate.

5 часов назад, ApacheLongbow сказал:

Hello, how do you overcome the fisheye distortion problem with Oculus devices?

Cheers

@nikoelHi, I think this tool is worth mentioning in the 1st post, could you please add it there?

Edited by Fiztex

I know this might already be mentioned somewhere in the preceding 60 pages but despite following the instructions in the 1st post in this thread I am unable to make this work.

DCS starts, I get the "shattering triangles" within the HMD.  It then does it a second time I then get a few white circles rotating around each other then a blank HMD.  I can tell from the DCS "window" that head tracking is working but the  HMD is still black.

Only thing not done yet is update Nvidia driver as the one I currently use gives me best results with WMR4SVR.  Could the Nvidia driver be the cause of my lack of success?

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

4 hours ago, Specter said:

I know this might already be mentioned somewhere in the preceding 60 pages but despite following the instructions in the 1st post in this thread I am unable to make this work.

DCS starts, I get the "shattering triangles" within the HMD.  It then does it a second time I then get a few white circles rotating around each other then a blank HMD.  I can tell from the DCS "window" that head tracking is working but the  HMD is still black.

Only thing not done yet is update Nvidia driver as the one I currently use gives me best results with WMR4SVR.  Could the Nvidia driver be the cause of my lack of success?

You running everything as Admin?  It can and will choke if not, generally a non admin app firing into one set as admin will fail in this round of win 10/11. 

Hi there, the combination of OpenComposite Release and OpenXR Toolkit make really a good job on my computer, all is much better except the Apache module. with this configuration it's not playable, sitting at 6fps, but with Steam VR all is ok. That's really strange because all the modules are working super with Opencomposite and the tool.... Any idea ?

Ok, now with 110% in Open XR i am at aroung 58-68 and it looks most of the time smooth. Only wenn i cold start the time sitting in the plane ist more demanding (~50 fps), but while airborne its mostly cool. Clouds seem to be a huge factor...

Another (maybe) dumb question:

Does this here affect my other games like Alys, ACC, IL2 or stay the untouched from this experiment here with dcs?

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

52 minutes ago, Eisprinzessin said:

Does this here affect my other games like Alys, ACC, IL2 or stay the untouched from this experiment here with dcs?

No, unless you've uninstalled steamvr which they might need to run with.

To enable the openxr on other games you need to copy the three files into their respective folder and then do the dancing around to get it configured to work.

It's known to work on msfs, acc, dr2 and possibly elite off the top of my head.

9 hours ago, Nodak said:

You running everything as Admin?  It can and will choke if not, generally a non admin app firing into one set as admin will fail in this round of win 10/11. 

Well, everything except WMR is running with Elevated privileges.  If you can tell me how to run WMR as admin you are a better man than Google!

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

1 hour ago, Specter said:

Well, everything except WMR is running with Elevated privileges.  If you can tell me how to run WMR as admin you are a better man than Google!

Can I ask why you run with elevated privileges? Non-elevated programs can indeed give issue's when hooking into elevated processes, so instead of trying to run WMR elevated, run the other apps without elevation?

46 minutes ago, Bul-le-Bac said:

Can I ask why you run with elevated privileges? Non-elevated programs can indeed give issue's when hooking into elevated processes, so instead of trying to run WMR elevated, run the other apps without elevation?

Because over the years of using DCS/SRS/VoiceAttack/Teamspeak etc, etc all at the same time the collective wisdom of this forum has suggested less issues with them all running as Admin.  Indeed when Teamspeak loses focus whilst playing DCS, if it is not run as Admin it won't recognise any key strokes for PTT.

That is why.

Update 25/4/22

OpenComposite Official Branch has been now been merged with Jabbah's 

New installation incoming, but for those who can not wait, you can find the official documentation and instructions here:

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr

Note you can install globally (all SteamVR-based games will use it automatically) or via individual installs (per game)

Also! For those of you who are into witchcraft you are undoubtedly using bundled VR controllers whilst flying inside of VR. You might be getting the random vibration activations. Haptics can be disabled via the following line in the .ini to disable the sex toy mode (not tested by me)

haptics = off

• Thanks 1

cool, toolkit 1.1 is out. 

• Like 2

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

yes i asked that question on a reddit thread and was met with silence, so glad it was not just me,  but I suppose that they could include it all in one library ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

D3DCompiler_47.dll is a Microsoft dll. Unless they're using a new version of that dll (unlikely), just use the one from the previous package.

6 hours ago, nikoel said:

Update 25/4/22

OpenComposite Official Branch has been now been merged with Jabbah's 

New installation incoming, but for those who can not wait, you can find the official documentation and instructions here:

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr

Note you can install globally (all SteamVR-based games will use it automatically) or via individual installs (per game)

Also! For those of you who are into witchcraft you are undoubtedly using bundled VR controllers whilst flying inside of VR. You might be getting the random vibration activations. Haptics can be disabled via the following line in the .ini to disable the sex toy mode (not tested by me)

haptics = off

Where did you hear that a new installation is coming?