DCS: AH-64D Screenshots and Videos (NO DISCUSSION)

Sleepy

• 2 weeks later...

Screen_231028_182759.jpg

Screen_231028_182838.jpg

Screen_231028_182859.jpg

Screen_231028_183034.jpg

Screen_231028_183750.jpg

• Like 8

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

• 4 weeks later...

After buying the Channel Map in the sale, a squad mate challenged me to get the Apache into Dover Castle...

• Like 2

Visit the Dangerdogz at www.dangerdogz.com. We are a group based on having fun (no command structure, no expectations of attendance, no formal skills required, that is not to say we can not get serious for special events, of which we have many). We play DCS and IL2 GBS. We have two groups one based in North America / Canada and one UK / Europe. Come check us out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Little teaser for my next project: 

image.png

Only about 30 minutes of work so far, and it'll likely take longer than the last ones, thanks to the complexity of the Apache template. But I figured a Czech Air Force Apache in their new camo would be a nice placeholder until ED hopefully brings us the AH-1Z in my dreams.

• Like 2

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Another 20 minutes or so worked on it. The Apache is really a beast with putting camo on it from scratch. You don't appreciate how complex this 3D model is until you start trying to figure out parts on the template. There are individual rivets...

image.png

• Like 1

Little more work done! The final nuts and bolts are going to be pure pain...image.png

Edit:

If you ever want to truly appreciate the incredible work of the ED model builders and texture artists, I can't recommend taking up creating liveries enough. Here's a zoomed in shot of the engine panel I'm working on at the moment. You can see all of the light grey places that represent that bolts, rivets, panels and latches that the modeler built in 3D, and the work of the texture artist to map and color the thing before making the template. It's painful enough as a skin creator, but I can't even imagine the headaches when you're making it yourself
image.png

Edited by aaronwhite

Another small update.

Still working on roughing out all of the camo shapes and finding parts on the template. After I get all of the camo down, then I can start going back and finding where all of the really small details live.
image.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, more progress made...though it always feels like it's not that much. 

I've got the shapes I want mostly sorted out. I think I might redo the engines a bit, because I don't love the way the back/mid section looks, but the fuselage camo is mostly complete, outside of the area directly behind the rotor. It's hard to see (it was for me too, since I didn't even notice it until looking at a reference photo probably 3 days ago) but the bottom is a slightly lighter grey than the light grey of the fuselage, and it's got a bit of a wave-like pattern on the real thing, so I'll be working on getting the bottom sides found and painted.

As always, the layout of the thing is incredible and infuriating. I was working with the wing template and colored some rivets yellow to see where they appeared, along with some other miscellaneous parts that I was unsure of, and it turned out that the yellow parts that are on the template near the left wing's outside pylon were rivets on the right wing formation light, a hinge holding one of the left rotor doors in place, and some other small part that I couldn't figure out what it was. 

Anyhow, work continues in my free time. I use this as a break from certification studying, but I really want to get it pushed out, so hopefully I can finish it up in a week or two. The rivets and screw, along with the random hatches and panels are really going to be a pain to track down. I've got to work on sorting out the font too, since what I have now isn't looking like I wanted it to.

Enjoy!

Prog1.PNG

Prog2.PNG

Prog3.PNG

• Like 4

Still a ton of work to do, but I figured I would post a small update before I go back to studying. I've got a cert exam in two weeks, and it's been eating most of the free time I would rather spend on finishing this skin up.
Camo layout's all pretty much done at this point, just need to go and align things. After that...it's detail hunting season. That's going to take an eternity. In the end I'll probably create an olive drab Czech Air Force version to go with the camo one, for people who like a little variety in life.

Preview2.jpgPreview.jpg

• Like 5

Finally got two minutes to sit down & start some weathering.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Helles Belle
  • Like 8

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Whoops

image.jpeg

Edited by Helles Belle
  • Like 3

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Another update that feels like...barely anything has changed...

I've spent the past week in my free time whenever possible hunting down the various screws and detail parts. The tail is done, now I'm finishing up the bottom and side blisters on the fuselage, before finally finishing up the wings, engine and fuselage itself.

As anyone who's done a skin with camo on here can attest, finding all of the various screws takes forever. There has to easily be 500 screws to track down on this model, if not more. It's got to be the most complex model I've ever worked on painting in DCS. But it's looking pretty good so far, if I do say so myself.

image.png

Edited by aaronwhite
  • Like 1