OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

Assuming that you don't use it for anything else then yes. I also run dirt rally 2 and Ellie dangerous via open composite and as neither of those are every likely to gain native openxr support I'll be keeping it.

Worthwhile making sure you have the native setup all running happily before you delete it.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Can someone confirm that I can leave Open composite on my system and when I start dcs, stand alone, with my G2 it will not interfere with the the native open xr which is now included. I use open composite for other games and don't want to get rid of it. I certainly don't want to use steam vr. 

I'm in the same boat, works fine just run DCS as normal and it should just open.

One telltale if you have WMR is that with open composite, the WMR home would shatter into triangles twice before starting DCS, now it only happens once.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Yeah turbo is a no go at the moment, I think it's linked to the same code that has broken reprojection.  All being well it will be reinstated soon when the next update (hotfix?) comes through. Until then I'll seeth silently at WMR only giving me 52 fps when the GPU is feeding it 65 😄

In the meantime, although not documented I think I'm getting slightly lower frametimes than before, maybe 1-1.5ms but it's all cumulative.
Really looking forward to seeing what DLSS will bring to the table over the current upscalers available!

• Like 2

It's difficult to judge without a like for like comparison.

Does anyone know how to u install open composite? 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

but HAM seems to improve the frame rates by a solid (ish) 1 FPS ... which is better than nothing. 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Turbo mode is situational.

I think in laymans terms if you miss the refresh target (60Hz in my case) then openxr forces the compositor to hold the frame, I believe in order to reduce potential sync issues.  The value that it's waiting by is shown on the toolkit developer overlay under waitGPU, turbo mode forces openxr to disregard the frame timing and just allow the GPU to generate frames as fast as possible.  This means that your GPU frametime can be 15ms (66 FPS) but your actual framerate would be closer to 55 FPS - when you're borderline on the refresh rate, this can be the difference between smooth and stuttery.
Hopefully it will make a return as for my usage it's very helpful 🙂

• Like 2

Headset mask, DCS has it's own so the toolkit one shouldn't make any difference unless it's a little more agressive and culls more pixels?

9 minutes ago, tomeye said:

what is HAM?

Cull Outer Mask (HAM) ... it seems to b a little more aggressivei n the pixels it culls out, not a lot but some

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

do we know what the disable mask HAM is for in the System Menu? (as opposed to turning it off under performance)

None of that is required to stop using open composite, just use the --force_OpenXR switch on the DCS executable.

Also your frametimes aren't tieing up with you FPS 10ms is 100 FPS, 20ms is 50 FPS.  Something isn't adding up?

4 minutes ago, plehmann said:

ditto for me too it looks like ...I'm going through settings ...thought it was NIS initially

note with the current beta release unless you force openxr via the command line you will use opencomposite rather than DCS's native version of openxr, which should allow you turbo mode again 

See that’s what Im confused about I have the force oxr command line in my DCS shortcut but I’m able to turn on MR and turbo on without crashing are other issues making me believe that open comp is still overriding DCS native version of oxr. If I more the Open Composite folder off my desktop to and folder DCS starts up in 2d if I put the folder back on my desktop everything boots up in VR

dang !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

8 minutes ago, Burt said:

See that’s what Im confused about I have the force oxr command line in my DCS shortcut but I’m able to turn on MR and turbo on without crashing are other issues making me believe that open comp is still overriding DCS native version of oxr. If I more the Open Composite folder off my desktop to and folder DCS starts up in 2d if I put the folder back on my desktop everything boots up in VR

dang !

sorry i don't understand 

the full command line is "E:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World Openbeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

or wherever you have DCS... but you need both for it toi boot in VR

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

but you need both for it toi boot in VR

Although you don't technically 😄

image.png

I just have the use VR headset box checked in options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, edmuss said:

image.png

yes that works too 🙂

I'm feeling kinda of a drag while looking sideways on the cockpit and while looking down on the terrain, its not remotely smooth as I used to have before the patch.
I had reprojection always on. That one I had to change to disable/automatic to get it through.

saw someone posting around that had circumvented the patch to use it anyway but I cant find that post anymore.

What do you guys are running atm?

I have to say that I barely changed stuff since I upgrade from a 2070 super to a 3090ti. I'm/was just enjoying the smoothness... : ) 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

2 minutes ago, t-stoff said:

I'm feeling kinda of a drag while looking sideways on the cockpit and while looking down on the terrain, its not remotely smooth as I used to have before the patch.
I had reprojection always on. That one I had to change to disable/automatic to get it through.

saw someone posting around that had circumvented the patch to use it anyway but I cant find that post anymore.

What do you guys are running atm?

I have to say that I barely changed stuff since I upgrade from a 2070 super to a 3090ti. I'm/was just enjoying the smoothness... : ) 

To run it the old way remove the --force_OpenXR from the shortcut

I used the per application opencomposite method. So I just copied the openvr_api.dll to the DCS World OpenBeta\bin folder from here OpenComposite | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io) 

I guess it should work using the automatic method too.

Without --force_OpenXR it should try to start up in OpenVR and opencomposite will intercept this and start OpenXR as it did before the initial patch to add native OpenXR support.

• Thanks 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Curious:

Does this still control resolution or is it set via the OXR tool kit in game interface?

Screenshot 2023-01-29 125103.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

50 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Curious:

Does this still control resolution or is it set via the OXR tool kit in game interface?

Screenshot 2023-01-29 125103.jpg

This and OpenXR Toolkit Override Resolution do the same exact thing. 

The OpenXR Toolkit one, if enabled, will override any other setting though (as the name said). In other words, if you have any Override Resolution in OpenXR Toolkit, it takes precedence over what you had set in OpenXR Tools for WMR.

Edited by mbucchia
  • Thanks 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

21 hours ago, edmuss said:

image.png

Sorry, I'm still confused. Do I just make the shortcut properties as shown?

• Target: "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR
  • Start in" "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin"

What I currently have is:

• Target: "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe"            (so that it checks for updates every time I start DCS)

No need to place --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR in any .cfg or .lua file? 

And what about using Skatezilla's DCS Updater Utility?