OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

31 minutes ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Sorry, I'm still confused. Do I just make the shortcut properties as shown?

• Target: "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR
  • Start in" "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin"

That will work, I've not got the --force_enable_VR switch, it does the same as the enable headset in the VR tab. I only play in VR so I don't need to have a pancake shortcut.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

2 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Sorry, I'm still confused. Do I just make the shortcut properties as shown?

• Target: "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR
  • Start in" "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin"

What I currently have is:

• Target: "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe"            (so that it checks for updates every time I start DCS)

No need to place --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR in any .cfg or .lua file? 

And what about using Skatezilla's DCS Updater Utility?

That's exactly what my shortcut icon had also the _updater. I deleted that shortcut then made another shortcut from the main DCS folder then added the --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

5 hours ago, mbucchia said:

This and OpenXR Toolkit Override Resolution do the same exact thing. 

The OpenXR Toolkit one, if enabled, will override any other setting though (as the name said). In other words, if you have any Override Resolution in OpenXR Toolkit, it takes precedence over what you had set in OpenXR Tools for WMR.

Thanks.  How about the "override resolution" setting?

Should I use that or only use the Anamorphic settings on the NIS/FSR/CAS page?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Thanks.  How about the "override resolution" setting?

Should I use that or only use the Anamorphic settings on the NIS/FSR/CAS page?

Anamorphic is quite tangential so I'm not really sure why you bring it up. It lets you adjust the resolution using a different scale factor on vertical/horizontal.

Back to Override Resolution it serves two purposes.

- you can use it in place of Upscaling if you don't like NIS/FSR. I don't personally find that quite useful.

- you can use it for supersampling, meaning rendering at a resolution greater than the recommended resolution ("100%"). This is similar to OpenXR Tools Custom Render scale > 100%. You can then use it in addition to Upscaling, which is perhaps the more interesting use case.

• Thanks 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

@johnbowzer

There is no best option and it doesn't matter if you use NIS or FSR or CAS on your Nvidia Card.

I find NIS produces quite a bit more shimmering than FSR does especially when using renderscale < 1. But you may use what method you like best visually.

For only sharpening i use CAS at the moment.

Edited by Sile

• edmuss changed the title to OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)
On 3/27/2022 at 5:03 PM, edmuss said:

Within the OXRDT set resolution to 100% and set MR to always on (don't use auto, that's for app specific configurations and not implemented for DCS as of yet).

Within the OXRTK menu make sure that MR is set to unlocked.

It seems like setting MR to always on in OXRDT as well as on in OXRTK isn't required anymore? I forgot to do it on a fresh Win11 install yesterday and just setting MR to on/unlocked in OXRTK was sufficient. It remained disabled in OXRDT but I def had MR working as intended in-game. 

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

You can set it in either place, I suspect that the OXRTK option will override the OXRDT 🙂

• Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

39 minutes ago, edmuss said:

You can set it in either place, I suspect that the OXRTK option will override the OXRDT 🙂

I think we need more acronyms for VR...

:doh:

• Like 6

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

It seems like setting MR to always on in OXRDT as well as on in OXRTK isn't required anymore? I forgot to do it on a fresh Win11 install yesterday and just setting MR to on/unlocked in OXRTK was sufficient. It remained disabled in OXRDT but I def had MR working as intended in-game. 

Documentation has all the answers:

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/other-features.html#motion-reprojection

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dburne said:

I think we need more acronyms for VR...

:doh:

To be fair I coined those two acronyms almost a year ago, when you're formulating long posts like this it simplifies things greatly. I've seen both acronyms used in other places outside of DCS as well, whether they took these and ran with them or came up with the same of their own accord; it doesn't bother me and it's nice to have some continuity 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Just reviewed edmuss’s original update on this thread. With all the changes afoot I was wondering how my settings need to be changed. I’m running an i9 11th gen 11900KF with the RTX 3080, 32 G RAM. I have followed the “all the bells and whistles” section in the OXR tuning guide with really good results. My WMR settings have been “best visual quality”, ‘Best Quality” resolution, and 90 Hz FR. Are you recommending 60 Hz FR with an adjusted resolution? Any other OXRTK, OXRDT and WMR recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

25 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

Just reviewed edmuss’s original update on this thread. With all the changes afoot I was wondering how my settings need to be changed. I’m running an i9 11th gen 11900KF with the RTX 3080, 32 G RAM. I have followed the “all the bells and whistles” section in the OXR tuning guide with really good results. My WMR settings have been “best visual quality”, ‘Best Quality” resolution, and 90 Hz FR. Are you recommending 60 Hz FR with an adjusted resolution? Any other OXRTK, OXRDT and WMR recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I run 60Hz, with the light sunglasses. I no longer see the 60Hz flicker most report.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

@mbucchia, hey I was wondering something after I read some info on DLSS, NIS, etc. In that info on NIS, it was mentioning that if you want to enable it, one had to do that in nVidia control panel via the "Image Sharpening" setting. But if we want to use NIS for DCS and we use the Toolkit, that should be left off in control panel, correct?

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

2 hours ago, johnbowzer said:

@mbucchia, hey I was wondering something after I read some info on DLSS, NIS, etc. In that info on NIS, it was mentioning that if you want to enable it, one had to do that in nVidia control panel via the "Image Sharpening" setting. But if we want to use NIS for DCS and we use the Toolkit, that should be left off in control panel, correct?

See FAQ:

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/FAQ.html#q-theres-already-a-nisfsr-option-in-my-gpu-driver-do-i-need-this

• 6 months later...

Trying to find and download OpenXR is confusing as hell, anyone have a simple and direct link to it please?

And is OpenXR a sepearate app you run along side your Oculus 2 software or is it no an API plug-in you put into the DCS software?

Edited by Steel Jaw

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Open xr is what DCS MT uses now to produce content in VR. Oculus is the runtime (software which will allow the headset to run DCS in VR) and will run open xr. DCS should open Oculus and run in open xr. DCS in VR is quite a challenge and can be a steep learning curve.  

Edit: just to clarify, as per the topic title, open xr toolkit is software which allows some useful tweaking for visuals and performance. 

Edited by Qcumber
  • Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

is there (should there be?) a repository of short videos, made by users that show off the visuals of their current settings?  Repository folders could be named such that you could easily navigate to videos made using the same hardware as yourself (within reason).  From there, perhaps file names could specify what settings were used in the video? 

It might be a bit messy to start off, but perhaps there could be a way of setting tags to the video files, to make searching easier? 

Anyone know of a good place to start such a thing if there isn't one already?

Good luck finding the best settings 🙂 

'52

• Like 1

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

• 1 month later...

If you have a 4090 and all the settings set to ultra or high and sharpening set to 100% on openxr toolkit do you need to set the dcs sharpening slider to zero? Also my headset is a HPReverb G2 2160 per eye. The mixed reality setting is at 2160 per eye. But in openxr toolkit theres an option.. second line down under systems called "Display resolution (per eye) mines set at 3161 x #### something. Should i drop this to 2160 x #### as i noticed im getting 61 fps on high settings and 90fps when dropped to 2160 x ####

Sorry to jump on the band wagon

2160 is the physical resolution 31xx is the resolution required to remove the barrel distortion of the lenses. You can reduce it a bit … but you will lose some fidelity as a result

I would only add sharpening in one place

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

2160 is the physical resolution 31xx is the resolution required to remove the barrel distortion of the lenses. You can reduce it a bit … but you will lose some fidelity as a result

So worth leaving it as it is? I guess it sets itself depending on the headset or screen

it sets its self based on the headset, you will get some performance increases by reducing it, but you will also introduce distortion and shimmer as well 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

• 1 month later...

Thanks gents, sorry for a late response. What would happen of i raised the resolution in open xr toolkit from 3161 to something higher? Would you get better anything i flew 50m ay from an f15 and f14 tonight and it looked good but is there ways of getting results like its a real jet like in some of the dcs videos? Or is this not possible as its in VR? What im finding is a slight pixel blur at times 

Edited by Ghostmaker

You will proportionally decrease your performance, assuming you have a G2, then I suspect he issue is at the edges of your field of view, and that's a lens artefact... Increasing the base resolution is unlikely to help in that scenario...