The F-35 Thread

Groove

The displays are amazing, and the information that is given to the pilot will blow everyones mind. Plus it is fun just to play around on them.

What about touching them in turbulent air?

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about touching them in turbulent air?

Have you seen that monstrosity that the F-35 has for a throttle HOTAS? There's so many damn buttons, knobs, and switches, it'd be hard to imagine a way to not have every functionality hidden in some combination of them. And I'm pretty sure someone in the air force remembered to tell the folks at Lockheed the middle of an 8 G turn is no time to be poking around on an iPad. Hell, someone at Lockheed may have had the idea themselves. They've only been building combat aircraft the better part of a century by now.

Have you seen that monstrosity that the F-35 has for a throttle HOTAS?

Aka the 'Cow-Pat'........

Story.jpg

It's probably like fondling a lump of cookie-dough :P

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Have you seen that monstrosity that the F-35 has for a throttle HOTAS? There's so many damn buttons, knobs, and switches, it'd be hard to imagine a way to not have every functionality hidden in some combination of them. And I'm pretty sure someone in the air force remembered to tell the folks at Lockheed the middle of an 8 G turn is no time to be poking around on an iPad. Hell, someone at Lockheed may have had the idea themselves. They've only been building combat aircraft the better part of a century by now.

I asked NOT about 8G (no one even thinks about working with MFDs at 8G), I asked NOT about HOTAS. There were already signs of some problems with turbulence, as in some reports inconvenient work with radios from the MFDs were present.

If you have everyting on HOTAS - you don't need buttons on MFDs at all. But you cannot have everyting on HOTAS and there are buttons via touchscreen.

And as we touched the HOTAS theme: too many buttons and switches on the HOTAS causing "not that switch!" error would be my next question.

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

I asked NOT about 8G (no one even thinks about working with MFDs at 8G), I asked NOT about HOTAS. There were already signs of some problems with turbulence, as in some reports inconvenient work with radios from the MFDs were present.

If you have everyting on HOTAS - you don't need buttons on MFDs at all. But you cannot have everyting on HOTAS and there are buttons via touchscreen.

And as we touched the HOTAS theme: too many buttons and switches on the HOTAS causing "not that switch!" error would be my next question.

Yeah okay, I don't know if they've made a way to change the radio frequency from the HOTAS (though there's no reason they couldn't, I see plenty of jog dials on that throttle), but you might consider the fact that it's the radio frequency. Not something you're going to be paying much attention to at any time other than when you're flying nice and level with plenty of time to correct for the odd air turbulence bump that makes you hit the wrong decimal place for your VHF AM setting.

And if we can't find people out of the elite few that will get to fly the F-35 who can manage the HOTAS without hitting the wrong button all the time, we have much bigger problems in the USAF. My guess is they'll get along just fine with the cow pie.

The F-35 with all of it's adds and detractors, is the first step to a new era in air warfare; "Swarm" logic or "Hive" Logic. The ability for multiple air assets to not only share information but to relay data in real time to all members and from all members of the "Swarm". This means that one asset can lock up a target and another fire via that lock. These are simplified example as the system has extensive capabilities. I just wanted to chime in with this info. I have not read through the entire thread so if I am repeating information I apologize.

Check out this episode of dogfights it explains what I mean

http://youtu.be/Pla2kPYOZw8

Edited by pctoptech

Motherboard ASUSTek TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI)

Processor Intel i5 9400

Memory VENGENCE PRO RGB 32GB

Video Card # 1 GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1660 6GB GDDR6

Power Supply Thermaltake GOLD 850 RGB

Sound Card NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO

Monitor 1. Vizio 32" 2. Samsung 32" 3. Samsung 32"

Operating System Windows 10 64 Bit build 19035.1

Yes it has been posted many times before. Sprey is full of it.

I've read few of the recent pages in the thread and it got me thinking. The fact that wing loading is not the only factor determining A/C's maneuverability, isn't that the case that the 'super high wing loading' the Sprey is whining about is a 'wing loading' he obtained by taking into account just the wings alone, assuming their root is outwards from the intakes? That would be a blast :)

I don't think all the F-35 have completed their flight testing. Also, I do not think any of the services has approved a demonstration profile. There are a videos of a F-35B demos but they are very limited (level passes, simple turns and some hovering). I saw a F-35A demo in Luke AFB and is was basically the same with some formation flying with a F-16.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I don't think all the F-35 have completed their flight testing. Also, I do not think any of the services has approved a demonstration profile. There are a videos of a F-35B demos but they are very limited (level passes, simple turns and some hovering). I saw a F-35A demo in Luke AFB and is was basically the same with some formation flying with a F-16.

Reading F-35 critics it's striking how this fact is consistently neglected. And yes, I'm aware that I'll have better luck with flight testing materials rather than demos like this one

Thanks!

Edited by Bucic

Hers is a link to the video of the first carrier trap of the F-35C

Processor Intel i5 9400

Reading F-35 critics it's striking how this fact is consistently neglected. And yes, I'm aware that I'll have better luck with flight testing materials rather than demos like this one

Thanks!

All new aircraft go through a wringing out and "Bug" fix period. The F-16 had it's share of problems and critics as did the F-4, F-14, P51 C-130 B-52 and most others.

Processor Intel i5 9400

In case anyone is interested or is not aware, there is an awesome rendition of all three F-35 variants for FSX/P3D by Dino Cattaneo you can download it at the following link.

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/

Processor Intel i5 9400

Stole this from the guys over at F-16.net. Carrier suitability testing. The F 35 specific portion is only at the last two minutes of the video but since it just landed on the deck of the carrier I figure it fit here.

Edited by smnwrx

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

F-35B-trials.jpg

http://theaviationist.com/2014/11/28/f-35b-weapons-trials/

UK F-35B has conducted first tests with ASRAAM and Paveway IV weapons at Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Maryland, United States.

A British test team, has successfully completed initial trials with ASRAAM (Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile) missiles and Paveway IV LGBs (Laser Guided Bombs) on the F-35B, the STOVL (Short Take Off Vertical Landing) variant of the Joint Strike Fighter, at NAS Patuxent River, US.

“Dummy” weapons (identical in shape and weight to the original ones) were tested during 9 flights in different configurations of both weapons types on two F-35Bs, flown by Billie Flynn, Lockheed Martin’s F-35 test pilot and Squadron Leader Andy Edgell from the RAF.

According to the team, which included personnel from BAE Systems, “the initial tests are an important step in integrating weapons onto the F-35B, allowing test pilots to understand how they affect the way the aircraft performs and handles.”

Such tests are the first step towards full interoperability of the two weapons, already used by the Royal Air Force on its existing fleet, with the F-35B, destined to enter in UK’s active service, with both the RAF and Royal Navy by 2018.

As already highlighted in the past, whilst carrying significant payload on external wing pylons makes the JSF more “convincing” as a multi-role platform, it makes the plane much less stealthy as well.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

Processor Intel i5 9400