AH-64D Exported Display Images Look Very Dark

Devrim

• 2 weeks later...

I find that simply turning up the brightness of the in game mfds via the knobs/switches achieves almost the same thing-readable exported mfds, blinding in game mfds. But I’ve seen some people’s screens where the bottom third of the screen image has been amputated. How do they do that?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

On 5/1/2022 at 12:54 PM, Floyd1212 said:

I spent some time working on this yesterday and got a fix I am mostly happy with.  I came here to write up a post, but found this thread, so I will post it here.

The solution I am using is to use ReShade to adjust brightness/contrast/gamma on the exported region of my displays only, without effecting the rest of the game's rendered regions.  To accomplish this, you need to use a UIMask in ReShade, which then applies the shaders to the "masked" regions only. (More on this later.)...

I wanted to extend my huge thanks to this post!  Really changed my experience.  It even works for night missions, I created a couple of profiles with different values for white point and gamma and I shift through them quickly depending on the scenario.  This is a game changer if you have external MFDs.  Big thanks again!

Rafa.

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

• 2 months later...

I've been having the same problem on the Harrier and this is much better having followed the UIMask advice with Reshade. It's a shame as to get the "greenscreen" sensors looking correct I have had to adjust in a way that makes things like moving map a bit washed out, but I will take that any day.

i7-13700k | nVidia 3080 Ti | 64GB RAM

VKB MCG Ultimate stick with old Sidewinder FFB2 as well |  Warthog Throttle | TrackIR

FC3 | F/A-18C | F-5e | Harrier | KA-50 | Spitfire

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 3:54 AM, Floyd1212 said:

I spent some time working on this yesterday and got a fix I am mostly happy with.  I came here to write up a post, but found this thread, so I will post it here.

The solution I am using is to use ReShade to adjust brightness/contrast/gamma on the exported region of my displays only, without effecting the rest of the game's rendered regions.  To accomplish this, you need to use a UIMask in ReShade, which then applies the shaders to the "masked" regions only. (More on this later.)

Follow this tutorial for how to install and setup ReShade.  (You can choose to use the shader settings he is showing or not, that's up to you.)

The next step is to create a "mask" for the regions of the screen you want to make adjustments to.  This feature is normally designed to mask elements of the user interface in a game that you don't want to change the look of, like maybe the minimap at the bottom of the screen, or the health bar, etc., but in this case we want to mask the majority of the screen from being effected, exposing only our display export regions to effect those.

Take a screenshot of your game with your display exports, and open it in your favorite image editing program. Fill in everything white, except for the display export regions, which you fill in black.  The shader effects we apply will only effect the regions of the screen that are black.  Save that black-and-white image as "UIMask.png". <-- very important

nullHere is my setup with two exported displays, and what the corresponding UIMask.png looks like:

Save your UIMask.png file to the location on your machine where ReShade is expecting to find it.  This is within the DCS install folder, equivalent to:

G:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\reshade-shaders\Textures\UIMask.png

Now open the ReShade controls after launching DCS, and enable the 4 shaders highlighted in the red box, and reorder them by dragging them so they are in the order shown below.  ReShade will process the "Tonemap" and "Levels" shaders only to the areas specified by our mask.

You now have real-time sliders for Black Point, White Point, and Gamma that you can adjust to tweak your external displays to suit your needs (red arrows).

It needs to be said, however, that this is not a complete solution for night missions.  You will still have a problem with the displays in the cockpit getting super washed out before you have anything usable on your export displays.  It does help a little, but you will still be blinded by the in-cockpit displays.  ED, please fix this!  In the meantime, this may help...

Thanks - this solved my issue with the dark Winwing MFD screens!

I had to make two different presets, one for "green" MFDs and one for black & white like the A10C. The B&W type MFDs need alot less changed.

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

Am 1.5.2022 um 19:54 schrieb Floyd1212:

Take a screenshot of your game with your display exports

Thanks for the Tutorial. But how do i make such a screenshot with the MFD in the same screen?

Edited by Eisprinzessin

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

On 4/28/2023 at 2:14 AM, Eisprinzessin said:

Thanks for the Tutorial. But how do i make such a screenshot with the MFD in the same screen?

Screenshots already include your exported MFDs, in fact you can't take a screenshot without them unless you crop them off.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive this old thread but wondering how do I create this for different aircrafts? Do I have to put in and out of the folder different UI Masks every time I change the plane, since it needs to be called UIMask.png ?

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

On 6/23/2023 at 11:58 AM, AstroEma said:

Sorry to revive this old thread but wondering how do I create this for different aircrafts? Do I have to put in and out of the folder different UI Masks every time I change the plane, since it needs to be called UIMask.png ?

For me it works for all planes, since all the UIMask is doing is delineating where your main monitor ends and your MFDs start.

Assuming that you never change the resolution when switching planes.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

This worked great. I used it only for making my WinWing MFD display brighter, no other effects. I notice a slight jitter and even some minor shadow flickering that I do not get when running without it. Any ideas on what I might check? RTX 4090 / i7-13700k / 64GB / all drivers are M.2.  

• 2 weeks later...

Is this bug still there? 😮

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

its still bugged. this whole reshade thing hasnt worked for me,s o Ive to wait for a fix myself.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

This issue indeed has been here since the release of Black Shark 1 in 2009 as far as I remember But at that time, very few people were exporting displays so I guess it wasn't really high on ED's list. Now multi screens and exports are becoming a bit more frequent with off the shelves solutions available like Winwing MFDs, I would love to see ED take this into account without letting us doing some crazy level wizardry DIY. It is specially problematic with the TADS or the SHKVAL (don't know for fixed wings but I guess that's the same). AH-64 exported TADS is almost unusable in IR mode no matter the brightness and contrast. Moving map is dark but still alright to use. Problem at night is when you are cranking up like crazy brightness for your exported displays, your in game cockpit's MFDs are burning your retinas. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this one. I can now use the external display and see the TADS image in detail

Duo Core E8500, 8 GB ram, Win 7, GTX 260, TH2Go, 3x 22in LG W2252TQ monitors, Hotas cougar, TrackIR4, Buttkicker