Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

1 hour ago, GPatricks said:

I'm hearing different things about the wait, depending on where you are and who you got it from. I bought direct from Varjo and had it 9 days after ordering, but I am in the EU..

I did the same, I bought direct from Varjo.  I've received a notification that my payment was accepted, and it should ship within 5 business days, (that was a couple days ago).  I'm in the US

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

3 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

I did the same, I bought direct from Varjo.  I've received a notification that my payment was accepted, and it should ship within 5 business days, (that was a couple days ago).  I'm in the US

Ahh, unfortunately it sounds like shipping to the US (from Varjo Finland) adds a lot of complications, customs, etc. Hope you get it soon!

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

22 minutes ago, GPatricks said:

Ahh, unfortunately it sounds like shipping to the US (from Varjo Finland) adds a lot of complications, customs, etc. Hope you get it soon!

thanks.  If I manage to get it before Thanksgiving, I'll be happy. 

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I'm guessing you should have it by Thanksgiving for sure.  I ordered mine and received it in about 2 weeks.  When it was at Customs, they emailed me some paperwork to sign.  I just checked some dates when I ordered mine.  I received an email confirming my payment was successful on 5/17/23.  My order shipped on 5/22/23.  The Docusign for the import was on 5/24/23.  Not long after that I received my Varjo.

Edited by MAThrasher
  • Thanks 1

Windows 11, GPU: RTX-4090, Ram: 32gb, CPU: 12700k, Headset: Varjo Aero

16 minutes ago, MAThrasher said:

I'm guessing you should have it by Thanksgiving for sure.  I ordered mine and received it in about 2 weeks.  When it was at Customs, they emailed me some paperwork to sign.  I just checked some dates when I ordered mine.  I received an email confirming my payment was successful on 5/17/23.  My order shipped on 5/22/23.  The Docusign for the import was on 5/24/23.  Not long after that I received my Varjo.

My same experience; @javelina1 keep an eye on your emails and especially your junk/spam box but not overly complicated. Once it was released from customs i received mine in two or three days. 

• Like 1

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

thank you MAThrasher and Rodeo, appreciate the data points!

Quick question for everyone.. I’ve been messing around with the Forced IPD setting within DCS VR settings. If you aren’t familiar here is a thread describing it:

Anyways it seems that every module cockpit is a different setting but should be consistent amongst same make/model headset. 

Question is should a separate thread be created for Aero owners so that we can share our Force IPD settings? For example I am using a 29 for the A10C II because I think the scale/size of the cockpit is correct but I would like another Aero user to confirm that.  Just thought I would get y’all opinion first before starting a thread that is either useful or useless. 

Cheers 🍻

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

I received my Aero a couple days ago. It shipped about a week and a half or so after I ordered it, and took about a week to get to the US from China. BUT ... The base stations just shipped separately, so I've been unable to try it yet. I also bought a black Conquest VR for audio. 

5 hours ago, mmike87 said:

I received my Aero a couple days ago. It shipped about a week and a half or so after I ordered it, and took about a week to get to the US from China. BUT ... The base stations just shipped separately, so I've been unable to try it yet. I also bought a black Conquest VR for audio. 

Re the conquest vr headphone...Just checked their website and seems only in white there and not sure tehy ship to Europe yet... where did u get urs from?

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

8 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Re the conquest vr headphone...Just checked their website and seems only in white there and not sure tehy ship to Europe yet... where did u get urs from?

If you contact their support folks they can see if there are any black ones left to ship. That is what I did. I don't recall where mine shipped from, but it shipped Monday and I had it UPS Thursday this week, so only a few days. Not sure why they are not advertising the black units.

That conquest VR headphone looks pretty interesting. I might get a set.  Thanks mmike87 for the post.

cool, my Aero is now at the FedEx facility in China.  Looks like I have a chance to get it before Turkey day.  😀

• Like 2

Been out of the DVS for quite a while… does 2.9 work as before with MT and DFR ?  

Only need to update or is there any things needed to be done ?  Didnt see anything on first page….

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

5 hours ago, Gunnars Driver said:

Been out of the DVS for quite a while… does 2.9 work as before with MT and DFR ?  

Only need to update or is there any things needed to be done ?  Didnt see anything on first page….

I just received the balance of my shipment today (base stations) and got it all running. At first, DCS crashed every time at startup. I uninstalled the DFR software, reset all DCS graphics and Nvidia settings to default, reinstalled the DFR package, and DFR worked. Reapplied settings, still works.

So, yeah ... DFR works with 2.9 fine.

First impressions ... Wow! Big improvement over my G2 

• Like 4

Don't have that no.  There was a difference some time ago where lighting between the foveated area and the rest was noticeably different but it has largely been ironed out on subsequent releases.  Can still see differences is some conditions but not something as extreme as what you describe.... i.e ON /OFF

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

On 11/4/2023 at 12:20 PM, javelina1 said:

That conquest VR headphone looks pretty interesting. I might get a set.  Thanks mmike87 for the post.

I finally received my base stations from Varjo (they shipped separately from the headset) and I have everything set up. In regards to the Conquest VR, they work pretty well. They were originally designed for the Quest series, and I think that affects the fit a bit. They do not feel very secure when clamped onto the Aero's headband, but once on mounted, they have not come off. The included wiring fits the Aero nicely. The sound quality is really good and on par with the integrated solution on my G2.

The level of adjustability is good, and you'd be hard-pressed to not be able to fit them over your ear.

I think the headband on the Aero is thinner than where the clamps were designed to mount on a Quest, and that makes the mounting not feel that solid. But, like I said - they have stayed on. They do move around a bit (again, thinner headband at the mounting point) which makes them move off the ear sometimes, requiring some adjustments in-flight.

Overall, I'll give it a 6.5 / 10, mainly because you can tell the mounting would work much better on a Quest from the pictures I have seen. They'd probably be 8/10 or more on a Quest. I am going to play around with the mounting points and maybe see if I can come up with something to firm up the mounting. Someone could probably 3d print something. If you look at the clamp, it's very wide, designed to clamp on the ticker portion of the Quest. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mmike87 said:

I finally received my base stations from Varjo (they shipped separately from the headset) and I have everything set up. In regards to the Conquest VR, they work pretty well. They were originally designed for the Quest series, and I think that affects the fit a bit. They do not feel very secure when clamped onto the Aero's headband, but once on mounted, they have not come off. The included wiring fits the Aero nicely. The sound quality is really good and on par with the integrated solution on my G2.

The level of adjustability is good, and you'd be hard-pressed to not be able to fit them over your ear.

I think the headband on the Aero is thinner than where the clamps were designed to mount on a Quest, and that makes the mounting not feel that solid. But, like I said - they have stayed on. They do move around a bit (again, thinner headband at the mounting point) which makes them move off the ear sometimes, requiring some adjustments in-flight.

Overall, I'll give it a 6.5 / 10, mainly because you can tell the mounting would work much better on a Quest from the pictures I have seen. They'd probably be 8/10 or more on a Quest. I am going to play around with the mounting points and maybe see if I can come up with something to firm up the mounting. Someone could probably 3d print something. If you look at the clamp, it's very wide, designed to clamp on the ticker portion of the Quest. 

thank you for the update, appreciate the field report.

I do have a 3d printer, I may go this route. 

If you need the ability to hear what's going on around you I really like my (open back) Sennheiser Drop+ PC38X headset. Comfortable (subjective), easily goes over the Aero even with the Creative Labs Apache headstrap installed, with excellent sound (subjective) and a very good foldaway microphone.. 

Edited by GPatricks
  • Like 1

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Hello, please help. DCS MT stopped working normally in VR mode in the Varjo Aero helmet, the environment is installed in openXR, when starting in the main menu everything is displayed smoothly, when starting any mission the screen flickers and after starting I get a slide show, before that everything worked fine and started, what can this do? be?

The issue is removed, I decided radically, by reinstalling windows with all programs. Apparently, errors have accumulated, so I changed the PC hardware without reinstalling the system, and there were also tvnets with tambourines with the old G2 helmet. It started like clockwork, I set everything to the maximum, the picture is even and smooth, I didn't notice microfoises.

Edited by vladimir-bondarenko

<p>W11x64; Core ™ i9-12900KF CPU@5,40 Ghz; 8-и ядерный, ОП 64 Gb, RTX 4090, Viewsonic VX3211-4K 3840x2160, SSD M2 2Tb, TM Warthog РУС+РУД, ВКБ Педали, система водяного охлаждения Kraken Z73, Кресло от Game Stul, Блок питания Corsair RM1200W.

On 11/12/2023 at 10:05 AM, vladimir-bondarenko said:

Hello, please help. DCS MT stopped working normally in VR mode in the Varjo Aero helmet, the environment is installed in openXR, when starting in the main menu everything is displayed smoothly, when starting any mission the screen flickers and after starting I get a slide show, before that everything worked fine and started, what can this do? be?

The issue is removed, I decided radically, by reinstalling windows with all programs. Apparently, errors have accumulated, so I changed the PC hardware without reinstalling the system, and there were also tvnets with tambourines with the old G2 helmet. It started like clockwork, I set everything to the maximum, the picture is even and smooth, I didn't notice microfoises.

Glad to hear it is resolved, Windows does get clogged with old registry entries and driver remnants, sometimes it's just best to clean house and start from scratch!

On 10/22/2023 at 6:25 PM, motoadve said:
On 12/9/2022 at 9:38 AM, TKu said:

I switched back to OXR with XrNeckSaver and it works well.

I also noticed that reshade 5.5.1 seems to be active and working with OXR and Aero, too.  Missing Reshade was the reason for using SVR instead of OXR.
I'll check that later in detail, I had only a few minutes to test.

Can you, or anyone else confirm whether reshade works with the varjo aero? 

A quick update.  Installed the Aero, and have the 2x base stations.  (Went with the shower rod and camera clamp setup, works like a champ!).  I also have a separate power strip to manage the HMD and base stations, to ensure they all are powered off when not in use.

Installed the mbucchia foveated mod, and in VB have set the ppd to 39.  Fired up DCS via the bin-mt. Looking real good.  Though things look a little blurry, but I'm sure that's due to my eyes.

My "old" G2 had the VR Optician inserts.  My prescription is over 3 years old.  So I've planned a visit to my Optician on Monday morning.  You know what I'll be ordering on Monday after I have the new prescription.  Last time I ordered from VR Optician, it took 7 days for delivery, which is pretty quick from Germany to the desert Southwest of the US.
Once I have the inserts, I'm certain it'll give me the full pop.

Back to the Aero.  I've been running at 45fps locked (vsync), and no MR.  Things are solid, and no stutters.  Will try a few tweaks here and there, just reading and learning.

Just curious, it's ok to have the mbucchia mod in place.  The other WWII and Civ mod should be fine with the OpenXR toolkit?.  I can leave the toolkit installed, but I have it disabled for DCS, so that is doesn't conflict  https://github.com/mbucchia/Varjo-Foveated/wiki

21 hours ago, javelina1 said:

A quick update.  Installed the Aero, and have the 2x base stations.  (Went with the shower rod and camera clamp setup, works like a champ!).  I also have a separate power strip to manage the HMD and base stations, to ensure they all are powered off when not in use.

Installed the mbucchia foveated mod, and in VB have set the ppd to 39.  Fired up DCS via the bin-mt. Looking real good.  Though things look a little blurry, but I'm sure that's due to my eyes.

My "old" G2 had the VR Optician inserts.  My prescription is over 3 years old.  So I've planned a visit to my Optician on Monday morning.  You know what I'll be ordering on Monday after I have the new prescription.  Last time I ordered from VR Optician, it took 7 days for delivery, which is pretty quick from Germany to the desert Southwest of the US.
Once I have the inserts, I'm certain it'll give me the full pop.

Back to the Aero.  I've been running at 45fps locked (vsync), and no MR.  Things are solid, and no stutters.  Will try a few tweaks here and there, just reading and learning.

Just curious, it's ok to have the mbucchia mod in place.  The other WWII and Civ mod should be fine with the OpenXR toolkit?.  I can leave the toolkit installed, but I have it disabled for DCS, so that is doesn't conflict  https://github.com/mbucchia/Varjo-Foveated/wiki

@javelina1 - Mbuccia created both the Varjo Foveated and the Quad-views Foveated, which one have you installed? Seems like the Varjo Foveated is installed as you mention disabling OXRTK with it in place? Not sure what you mean by "The other WWII and Civ mod", but if you want to run OXRTK you must remove the Varjo Foveated and run the Quad-views foveated instead. As for the glasses, you may want to (very carefully) see if you can get the headset in place over your regular eyeglasses while you wait for your VR Optician script/lenses to see if that gets rid of any blurriness.. They fit over mine (2x readers) but were a PITA to get on/off, and I also had VROpt lenses for my G2 and now again for the Aero..

Edited by GPatricks

6 minutes ago, GPatricks said:

@javelina1 - Mbuccia created both the Varjo Foveated and the Quad-views Foveated, which one have you installed? Seems like the Varjo Foveated is installed as you mention disabling OXRTK with it in place? Not sure what you mean by "The other WWII and Civ mod", but if you want to run OXRTK you must remove the Varjo Foveated and run the Quad-views foveated instead. As for the glasses, you may want to (very carefully) see if you can get the headset in place over your regular eyeglasses while you wait for your VR Optician script/lenses to see if that gets rid of any blurriness..

sorry for not being clear.  I am using Varjo Foveated.  I fly DCS, MSFS, and IL-2, and have been using the Toolkit with all three, prior to getting the Aero.  As of now, I've been flying DCS (with Varjo Foveated), and have disabled the Toolkit (for DCS), as per the instructions (and left the Toolkit enabled for MSFS and IL-2).

From your comment, if I wish to continue to use the Toolkit with MSFS and IL-2, I'll need to remove Varjo Foveated, and go with Quad-views Foveated?

I did try the glasses in the Aero.  Man is that a pain in the @$$ to get to try.  But it did help with the clarity. 

Edited by javelina1