Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

On 11/27/2023 at 7:52 AM, Brainfreeze said:

Been seeing this a lot... on my side I have motion smoothing on and 45 lock ... without motion smoothing low flying at high speed ... trees and houses are ghosting too much.  I do not get spikes/drops on my system

I have now tried the 45lock with  motion smoothing OFF and it’s a ghosting mess low to the ground ….. smooth but ghosting image on buildings and trees  when low and fast

so motion smooth is a must by the look of it unless I’m missing something (can’t maintain 90FPS and I’m not sure anyone can really with any kind of nice visuals down low over populated areas)

Brianfreeze: do you notice the fps are low for a few seconds with motion smooth on when you change camera / arrive in a menu?

I would say motion smoothing is not as good as the WMR version (G2) currently - which is a disappointment 

Image clarity is better in Aero but so far the overall experience is not …. Hope I can work it out 🙂

-----------------------------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5800X @ 4.8Gz; MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk; GeForce RTX 4090 MSI Trio;  32MB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz; Samsung 980 pro M.2; Varjo Aero VR; Thrustmaster Warthog stick, Viper TQS throttle & MFD's; Monza SR-P pedals

Figured I would put this here along with a thread on XRNeckSafer elsewhere for anyone wanting to use this fantastic app and is having problems-

The saga - With the patient help of DerKlausi on the Varjo Discord I finally have XRNS working perfectly. The final key (after an XRNS 5a  remove/reinstall) was the order of the API layers, as the Varjo Foveated API finally showed up in XRNS's "OpenXR\Show API Layers" list after a fresh XRNS5a download and re-install (This was [my] problem #1). First try in the cockpit with fresh XRNS, with Varjo Foveated API showing on top line of the XRNS Show API list, I got black blocks and strange movement in the cockpit whenever Auto-rotation kicked in (but it was actually finally doing something!). As soon as I (using the "OpenXR-API-Layers-Win64-HKLM.exe" app) moved the XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_XRNeckSafer.json Layer to be above the XR_APILAYER_MBUCCHIA_varjo_foveated. json Layer, all was well in DCS.. 

The solution - So (for me) the key was to uninstall XRNS 5a, reinstall a freshly downloaded version of XRNeckSaferBeta5a from GitHub (https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/xrnecksafer), run XNRS and check the "OpenXR\Show active OpenXR API Layers" list in XNRS,. If XRNeckSafer is not on top of the list (which mine wasn't), use the API Layers GUI program ( https://github.com/fredemmott/OpenXR-API-Layers-GUI ) to change the order (I used the "OpenXR-API-Layers-Win64-HKLM" exe). Select the XRNeckSafer API, click Move up (to the top), done!

Never occurred to me not showing the Varjo Foveated API in XNRS could actually be an XRNS issue (to cause me to reinstall) as it worked fine in IL-2... and forget about the API Layer order, never would have gotten that without help.

Edited by GPatricks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

On 11/23/2023 at 2:37 PM, GPatricks said:

For those that don't know (and I didn't until seeing a Varjo/dcs-world  Discord post from mbucchia), Don (dburne) posted a "Farewell" in the "chit-chat" forum here on October 29th, and here he was, riddled with cancer,  trying to help someone on 10/31.. He passed on November 10, just 10 days later. RIP Don, you have helped/touched many people..

Ohh no 😥. Rip dburne 

Thanks for the information, even if it was not one hoped 😕 

• Like 1

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 6:51 PM, Burt said:

I’m not good at explaining things like this but the latest Varjo update has this Varjo Optical Adjustment tool in a zip file that adjust the red shift issue. If you have the Varjo discord please go to the Greetings-from-Varjo section and it will explain waaaaay better then I can muster. Here’s a copy and paste from there. There is also a guy named Bernhard Berger that has a redshift gui. Tool that’s used with this also I’ll try to find it for you.

-----
How to use tool: 

> 1.    Install Varjo Base 3.10.1. 
> 2.    Connect and run your Varjo headset as usual. 
> 3.    Make sure Automatic IPD adjustment is enabled or manual IPD adjustment is set to a value matching your actual IPD. 
> 4.   Download VarjoOpticalAdjustment.zip from here: 
> https://share.varjo.com/index.php/s/2DKZ3jJ5ZeMy3Bz  

> PW: 5bXDBm4h4O Unzip VarjoOpticalAdjustment.zip to any folder. 
> 5.    Run EnableOpticalAdjustment.bat in the folder to enable OpticalAdjustment with the default value. 
> 6.    The default value is -0.4. You can change the value by editing value.cfg file in the folder and running EnableOpticalAdjustment.bat again. We recommend testing values between -0.3 -- -0.6 to find the value giving you the most optimal visual experience. 
> 7.    You can disable the optical adjustment by running DisableOpticalAdjustment.bat. 
> 8.    If you are having problems with the tool, here are some great tips and help from the community: https://discord.com/channels/839478779256897546/1077968124630028452/1123988935262085221

Please note that this adjustment is not persistent and needs to be applied again every time Varjo Base is started or if the system is restarted (for example, after changing the resolution quality in Varjo Base). 

We would like to gather more feedback around your experiences with this adjustment, which will help us to plan future features in this area. Please use the feedback form below to tell us how this worked for you https://survey-eu1.hsforms.com/1WFHW3LFKRCe-_LaO0_m_cAfa586
----

does anyone have an updated link or password for VarjoOpticalAdjustment.zip?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

13 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

does anyone have an updated link or password for VarjoOpticalAdjustment.zip?

And this is a useful little tool for adjusting via a GUI:

https://github.com/bernhardberger/OpticalAdjustmentGUI

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Oi vey

So DCS is broke. Something updated today (steamVR?) and now DCS is locked at 10fps on the damn load screen and everywhere else using the Varjo OpenXR. 

This was also the case for MSFS (11fps there).

MSFS will work with the steam version of openXR back to normal.

DCS will work with the Steam version only on the load screen (90FPS) but then promptly crash if trying to load anything even the ME...

Anyone else seeing this?

I literally reinstalled 2.9 2 days ago and it was FINE.

Also, OpenVR does work, but its all distorted (cross eye?) IDK. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

working fine here ? SteamVR updated today, I don't have steam VR set as my default for OpenXR ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

5 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Oi vey

So DCS is broke. Something updated today (steamVR?) and now DCS is locked at 10fps on the damn load screen and everywhere else using the Varjo OpenXR. 

DCS will work with the Steam version only on the load screen (90FPS) but then promptly crash if trying to load anything even the ME...

Anyone else seeing this?

Started MT, popped into a BF109 Free Flight, steady 71FPS, no issues... SteamVR only runs the tracking, the SteamVR app itself is not running, correct?

Edited by GPatricks

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Harlikwin:

Oi vey

Anyone else seeing this?

some guys reported this on the varjo discord. (MT client in all cases)

There was a steamvr beta update (stable update possibly yesterday) that seemed to introduce the problem. One user opted out of steamvr beta and the problem was gone. Probably the bug is now in stable steamVR so maybe opting out is not possible any more.

This all happens with Varjo OpenXR being the active runtime. (steamvr only used for tracking)
And all cases use the Steam Version of DCS.
Interesting: A friend of mine got rid of it by switching from steamDCS to DCS standalone.

edit: oh and here is a bug report. Mabe post there as well:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/3/4036978698787139585/

Edited by Sile

5 minutes ago, Sile said:

some guys reported this on the varjo discord. (MT client in all cases)

There was a steamvr beta update (stable update possibly yesterday) that seemed to introduce the problem. One user opted out of steamvr beta and the problem was gone. Probably the bug is now in stable steamVR so maybe opting out is not possible any more.

This all happens with Varjo OpenXR being the active runtime. (steamvr only used for tracking)
Interesting: A friend of mine got rid of it by switching from steamDCS to DCS standalone.

I am on the SteamVR (beta) and run DCS (Openbeta) standalone, if that helps clarify anything... maybe running from Steam actually starts SteamVR? Standalone does not..

Edited by GPatricks

6 minutes ago, Sile said:

oh no we are all doomed 🙂

not going to start steam to prevent the bad steamvr update

😄.. Thing is I run IL-2 CLoD VR (as recently as last night) in SteamVR and it is fully updated, so that isn't it... at least on my system. I would convert to standalone and see what happens... or wait for a solution from Steam.

Edited by GPatricks

vor 6 Minuten schrieb GPatricks:

I am on the SteamVR (beta) and run DCS (Openbeta) standalone, if that helps clarify anything...

edit: oh you are the guy for whom it still works and you are on standalone dcs. So the standalone / Steam theory still stands.

Gerade eben schrieb GPatricks:

😄.. This is I run IL-2 CLoD VR (as recently as last night) in SteamVR and it is fully updated, so that isn't it... at least on my system.

Yes. Only happens with DCS for all the other cases.

Just now, Sile said:

edit: oh you are the guy for whom it still works and you are on standalone dcs. So the standalone / Steam theory still stands.

Yes, that was the data point I was making... 🙃

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Harlikwin:

Oi vey

Anyone else seeing this?

If you are affected you might try to disable "OpenVR" in Varjo Base. It helped someone on the Varjo Discord getting back to 90 fps. Maybe there is some sort of conflict after the SteamVR update.

image.webp

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sile said:

If you are affected you might try to disable "OpenVR" in Varjo Base. It helped someone on the Varjo Discord getting back to 90 fps. Maybe there is some sort of conflict after the SteamVR update.

image.webp

Yay this worked! Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 5/2/2022 at 1:38 AM, Supmua said:

while forcing Varjo OpenVR mode (--force_varjo_VR) can cause graphic glitches

I'll never understand why ED are completely incapable of documenting some of the switches available to DCS' binary. This is the first I've heard of --force_varjo_VR

Even Varjo themselves have documented DCS behaviour better than ED themselves

https://varjo.com/vr-lab/varjo-support-in-dcs/

12 hours ago, ColinM9991 said:

I'll never understand why ED are completely incapable of documenting some of the switches available to DCS' binary. This is the first I've heard of --force_varjo_VR

Even Varjo themselves have documented DCS behaviour better than ED themselves

https://varjo.com/vr-lab/varjo-support-in-dcs/

I don't believe that is necessary anymore is it?

I had this all setup and working for a few months now. I missed a few weeks flying and now after the usual intervening update when I run things up I get a 10FPS with higher theoretical. I am setup to use the Varjo Open XR but it does not seem to be working and I am not sure why. I can set SteamVR as the OpenXR runtime and it works but capped at 45FPS.

Not sure what has changed that Varjo OpenXR doesn't seem to work anymore 😞

I have tried changing all permutations of the DCS command line settings but I normally run it with "-force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR".

I don't have the OpenXR toolkit installed but did previously. I uninstalled it as part of ditching my Quest 2 for the Varjo Aero.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any advice appreciated.

DCS.JPG

Steam VR.JPG

Varjo Base.JPG

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Headroom:

I had this all setup and working for a few months now. I missed a few weeks flying and now after the usual intervening update when I run things up I get a 10FPS with higher theoretical. I am setup to use the Varjo Open XR but it does not seem to be working and I am not sure why. I can set SteamVR as the OpenXR runtime and it works but capped at 45FPS.

Not sure what has changed that Varjo OpenXR doesn't seem to work anymore 😞

I have tried changing all permutations of the DCS command line settings but I normally run it with "-force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR".

I don't have the OpenXR toolkit installed but did previously. I uninstalled it as part of ditching my Quest 2 for the Varjo Aero.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any advice appreciated.

DCS.JPG

Steam VR.JPG

Varjo Base.JPG

Hi,

currently there is a SteamVR Bug that throttles DCS to 10 fps for Aero Users.
The bug also affects you, if you are using the VarjoOpenXR Runtime.
(SteamVR is used for tracking but due to the bug it loads additional stuff that throttles Varjo)

Workaround is to disable OpenVR in Varjo Base. (your last picture "Compatibility")

I see you are using DCS steam Edition. The bug doesn't affect DCS standalone users (yet?) for some reason. (Workaround 2 = switch to standalone 🙂 )

It would be helpful to post here to make the issue more prominent:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/3/4036978698787139585/?ctp=2

Edited by Sile

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any tips how to setup SteamVR basestations without controllers and only using the Varjo Aero headset? 😃

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

Yep... Plug them in and follow the instructions in Varjobase... 

It can all be done in 2d with a mouse 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1